Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Underappreciated Guitarist Thread

FuriousD

The MASTER!

SRV teaming up with Santana on this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4Z4_TZBueM

EDIT:

Well apparantly it isn't SRV and Santana from looking at the comments. It's Rich Walikis and the Jam Bones. Still pretty awesome though.

There's a version of "I'm Down" with SRV and Jeff Beck. I will look for the video. It's I N S A N E.

Get ready to grab the Kleenex box...

"I'm Down" on MTV live- Jeff Beck and SRV (Hard not to make the case SRV not the greatest ever with this video...)

Alex Lifeson is underappreciated.

Always overshadowed by Neil Peart and Geddy Lee's versatility. Lifeson is just as versatile, and can really rock out.

Definitely Lifeson is not given his due, but because music these days sucks so bad with the dreaded hip hop and such it seems that young people are listening to a lot of old music from the seventies like Rush which I used to listen to in HS. For that reason, people like Alex who were always obsure are now becoming legends slowly.

I think that Joe Perry from Aerosmith is another seventies guy who is underrated. Toys in the Attic where he follows note for note with Tyler's vocals. That growling sustain on the Les Paul through a classic Marshall. His chords sound fantastic too.

How about a couple of Southern Maryland boys.

LinkWray.jpg

Accokeek's Link Wray invented so many things in rock and roll and hardly anyone knew he did. Fuzzy guitars? Link Wray. Feedback? Link Wray. Wailing guitar solos? Link Wray. And a whole host of riffs and licks that you've heard mimicked by every other rock and roll guitar player since. His 1958 tune "Rumble" bears a certain distinction in that it was banned by many radio stations and communities because of the menacing influence it had on the youth of the day... it's an instrumental. Not a word in it. Pretty nifty trick. The story goes that while recording it, he got so frustrated because he couldn't get the sound he wanted, so he smashed his guitar neck through his amp.. the resulting fuzzy sound is exactly what he wanted, and led to so many things.. I consider myself damned lucky in that I knew his nephew and got to meet him, (smoked some green with him!) and saw him perform at the 930 club in 1984 or so. He was amazing.

dannygattonmusic.jpg

from St. Mary's County was flat out great in the blues / jazz/ country vein. Unfortunately for all of us, he died before he reached the recognition he deserves.

~Bang

If you love Gary Moore, and/or if you love Cream, check out the CD Around the Next Dream by BBM (Baker Bruce and Moore).

Another vastly underappreciated guitarist - Gary Hoey. If you like the G3 stuff, he'll be right up your alley. If you dig Robin Trower, download Hoey's song "Reaction."

There's a version of "I'm Down" with SRV and Jeff Beck. I will look for the video. It's I N S A N E.

Get ready to grab the Kleenex box...

"I'm Down" on MTV live- Jeff Beck and SRV (Hard not to make the case SRV not the greatest ever with this video...)

I saw them together at the Cap Center years ago, and this song was the encore. Definitely the highlight of the evening. The song is actually called Going Down. It was originally written by Don Nix for Freddie King (who does a great version of it, by the way), and was remade by Beck on The Jeff Beck Group lp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxKug2SD_-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1kivBEouyA

hhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etr4yj5Gu1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya6NncMStPc

Love Robin Trower. He always looked like he was having fun when he was performing. Robin Trower got a bad rap for sounding too Hendrix like. Listen to enough of his songs and you can pick up that he has his own take. Talk about a great tremolo, Trower had it. It just wasn't the same without Jimmy Dewar though.

Hell yea!!

Those guys probably aren't a band I'll ever be really into. But I could definately see myself pumping that song before I go on a baby kicking rampage or something. It most definately gets me fired up!

:evilg:

Yeah, I use them to throw old people down escalators. Most fun you'll ever have at the mall.

Love Robin Trower. He always looked like he was having fun when he was performing. Robin Trower got a bad rap for sounding too Hendrix like. Listen to enough of his songs and you can pick up that he has his own take. Talk about a great tremolo, Trower had it. It just wasn't the same without Jimmy Dewar though.

James Dewar was a great singer - a poor man's Paul Rodgers. No Time is probably the only post-Dewar song I still consider a classic.

• 9 months later...
HOLY FREAKING CRAP!! ANOTHER DEREK TRUCKS FAN. I saw him when he was a teenager opening up for Eric Johnson at the Birchmere. I was blown away. He is a really nice kid too. We spoke briefly, but I got to know his bass player prett well. Derek was on stage with Clapton on the last Crossroads video. His slide guitar is very elegant.

I saw Derek in '92 at a hole in the wall blues club in St. Pete. I think that he was 16 and his guitar looker bigger than he was, but the kid had massive feet lol. Now he's a pretty big dude. And I just saw him with the Allman Bros. 3 months ago. He'll be playing at the annual Wannee Festival in north FL, in april, with the Govt. Mule, Allman Bros. his wife Susan Tedeshi, Wide spread panic, Stephen Stills, Johnny Winter, Hot Tuna, Bob Wier, and a bunch of others

http://www.waneefestival.com/

Archived