Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Underappreciated Guitarist Thread

FuriousD

Adrian Belew.

Contributed to tons of great music - never made it big himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Belew

I love Adrian Belew, and he was who I thought of too.

Talking Heads "Remain in Light" is one of my favorite albums of all time, and in large part due to his guitars. They're so off the norm, it gives the whole album a very VERY different ring, and I'd suggest to anyone that has never heard it from start to finish to do so immediately. (Except for the last tune, that one kind of drags.)

I saw David Bowie in like 1990 or so, and Adrian Belew was the guitarist... very very cool night. It was Bowie's turn to do the 'greatest hits' type tour that all the classic rockers were doing then, so he played all of his greatest stuff, but with Adrian Belew it all became decidedly different. Awesome night.

Good call!

~Bang

FAR FREAKING OUT!!! GARY MOORE RULES. I thought I was the only fan out there. He is the best singer+guitar player combination who has ever lived. "Murder in the Skies, Came without a Warning..."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Eric Johnson is also underappreciated. He is a nice guy and not flashy like Slash or guitar players who are all over magazines. He does things on a guitar that are beautiful. It has been said that he plays with no anger in him which if you listen really comes through. He can play the most powerful psychedelic tunes note for note with the likes of Hendrix and it's an angelic sound. He is in a special class if not the best living GP.

Listen and love Eric Johnson... you will SEE GOD no exaggeration... (Use Chrome browser for no Youtube drop outs and seriously crank this up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTvv1NvCwXU

This is another AMAZING EJ video I just found. Bet you've heard this song... won't spoil it. He is a man amongst children on guitar. He just may be the greatest ever...

Righteous... Nuff Said. My fav EJ song.

His best Alien Love Child song Elevator Sky Movie... u n b e l i e v a b l e

How about David Gilmore from Pink Floyd?

The greatest guitar solo of all time (Rolling Stone mag?) Comfortably Numb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ll-wxHSh6U&feature=related

How about Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme)

This is his s i g n a t u r e guitar solo. He can do it all.

How about Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs)

This song is called T u m e n i Notes. Try and figure out why.

Derek Trucks

HOLY FREAKING CRAP!! ANOTHER DEREK TRUCKS FAN. I saw him when he was a teenager opening up for Eric Johnson at the Birchmere. I was blown away. He is a really nice kid too. We spoke briefly, but I got to know his bass player prett well. Derek was on stage with Clapton on the last Crossroads video. His slide guitar is very elegant.

In terms of style- my fav of all time is John Frusciante. Few guitar players get as much emotion out of their guitars imo.

Also, I've always thought Andy Summers was very under-appreciated for his contributions. He basically invented reggae-rock

Jeff Loomis from Nevermore. I love his style. He's freakin amazing at shred guitar but his ability to mix in melodic licks with shred is crazy. I love the range of the stuff he's wrote for Nevermore and his solo album Zero Order Phase is genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjfUMLeKd5E - my favorite song from his solo album

- song Psalm of Lydia from his band Nevermore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxUm1hzYWCA - Believe in Nothing

He is amazing and I barely hear people mention him...

Another guy I really like is Michael Romeo from Symphony X. It's too bad I can't listen to Symphony X because of their singer. Romeo is amazing though.

Jeff Loomis from Nevermore. I love his style. He's freakin amazing at shred guitar but his ability to mix in melodic licks with shred is crazy. I love the range of the stuff he's wrote for Nevermore and his solo album Zero Order Phase is genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjfUMLeKd5E - my favorite song from his solo album

- song Psalm of Lydia from his band Nevermore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxUm1hzYWCA - Believe in Nothing

He is amazing and I barely hear people mention him...

Another guy I really like is Michael Romeo from Symphony X. It's too bad I can't listen to Symphony X because of their singer. Romeo is amazing though.

Wow, this guy CRANKS. I definitely like Loomis. He basically does arpeggios fast as hell, but that's cool. I like some style too like Stevie Ray Vaughn, but there is a big place in my library for arpeggio players. Nevermore cranks too. Have you ever heard of Buckethead?

In terms of style- my fav of all time is John Frusciante. Few guitar players get as much emotion out of their guitars imo.

Also, I've always thought Andy Summers was very under-appreciated for his contributions. He basically invented reggae-rock

You got that right on both these guys. I actually loved One Hot Minute with Dave Navarro and wish JF had the skill to play those songs... but it's cool. JF cranks. Last time I saw him the first tour after he rejoined he was busy blowing out his hearing by putting his head right next to the amps. Not altogether there anymore, but he sounded great.

Andy Summers is amazing also. He could write hooks on guitar. My pinkie kills me playing MIB. I think that Alex Lifeson was heavily influenced by him in the 80's. Motion Pictures sounds like Summers is playing on it.

Paul Kossoff, a ****ing beast. May he RIP. But he's definately not talked enough about:

Best vibrato, BY FAR, I've ever heard come out of a guitar belongs to Mr. Kossoff, probably why Eric Clapton asked Paul just how he did it.

:)

Wow, so that's the guy who did vibrato on All Right Now. Not too shabby.

Wow, this guy CRANKS. I definitely like Loomis. He basically does arpeggios fast as hell, but that's cool. I like some style too like Stevie Ray Vaughn, but there is a big place in my library for arpeggio players. Nevermore cranks too. Have you ever heard of Buckethead?

Yeah, saw him live last year. Good stuff, not a huge fan though.

My other favorite underrated guitarist is Gus G. Love his stuff on Nightrage and Dream Evil.

Click on my second link and fast forward to 3:30 and just close your eyes and listen.

You are in for a ****ing treat.

Wow. That is amazing. Good song. You know who's vibrato sounds exactly like his is Angus Young. Bet he copied it.

It seems to me like he's not bending the sting off axis, he's doing it the hard way with hand strength similar to a vibrato bar. Very hard to do, but better sounding.

I am also a big fan of Stevie Ray Vaughn's vibrato.

They are the masters of the simpleness!!!! :D

Hell yea!!

Those guys probably aren't a band I'll ever be really into. But I could definately see myself pumping that song before I go on a baby kicking rampage or something. It most definately gets me fired up!

:evilg:

Archived