Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Underappreciated Guitarist Thread

FuriousD

Ladies and Gentlemen: Mr. Gary Moore.

Gary has been around for quite a while. He did several stints with the rock band Thin Lizzy in the 70's and 80's and followed with his own rock band G-Force but his best and most well known works are his own blues compositions.

Intersesting titbit: Ozzy tagged Gary to be his guitar player when forming his own band after being kicked out of Sabbath but Gary declined. Apparantly, Gary was fed up dealing with Phil Lynnot's drug and booze problems and Ozzy wasn't exactly a poster child for clean living.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgXXfZUDyN8 This is Gary's composition, Empty Rooms. 10-mins of Gary shredding. Use the HQ!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqAus53TEI4 This is a kind of neat "up close and personal" conversation where Gary demonstrates some of his guitars and techniques. 8-mins of just Gary w/no backing. Good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZhcGRvP70I This is argueably Gary's best known composition, the haunting and beautiful, Still Got The Blues For You. 8-mins. Available again in HQ.

I apologize if you already know of Gary Moore's work and don't consider him underappreciated at all, but his name seldom if ever comes up when there's talk of the "best" guitarists and the man is very worthy of at least an honorable mention.

If you don't already know of Gary's work and like the blues, you are in for a treat!

Side note: there was recently a thread in the tailgate about electric guitars that desolved into a single coil verses humbucker debate. I would like to note that all the sounds heard here (minus a small snipet of Gary ripping on a Telecaster) were all made on Humbucker pickups!

Enjoy and please post some video of one of your favorite "underappreciated" guitarists.

:helmet:

I find the following guitarist underrated...

Robert Smith, not particularly flashy but brilliant none the less.

Mick Ronson, his work with Bowie and the Spiders from Mars is the stuff of legends

Steve Stevens, mostly known for his work with Billy Idol, this guy is a great studio guitarist who’s also worked with Michael Jackson, the Thompson Twins, Ric Ocasek, Robert Palmer, Pink, etc

Joey Santiago from the Pixies. Inventive guitarist with solos more about texture and fitting the song than showing off. Love his work.

My vote for most overrated? Slash!

Gus G.

here he is playing Van Halen's Eruption:

here he is challenging you to play a quick little riff:

a little solo for show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s6ANWzyoO0&feature=related

and of course, some real music from the band, Firewind, that he started at the age of 18:

Head up High

here is is as a member of Dream Evil before he left to concentrate more on Firewind:

Chasing the Dragon

Gus G.

here he is playing Van Halen's Eruption:

here he is challenging you to play a quick little riff:

a little solo for show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s6ANWzyoO0&feature=related

and of course, some real music from the band, Firewind, that he started at the age of 18:

Head up High

here is is as a member of Dream Evil before he left to concentrate more on Firewind:

Chasing the Dragon

Well, to be unappreciated, you have to at least be somewhat known. I doubt many beyond the two of us have even heard of Firewind.

My vote for most unappreciated is Alex Lifeson since he does get overshadowed by his bandmates and often plays a role that isn't as out front as some guys.

Most overrated? Herman Li of Dragonforce.

Well, to be unappreciated, you have to at least be somewhat known. I doubt many beyond the two of us have even heard of Firewind.

My vote for most unappreciated is Alex Lifeson since he does get overshadowed by his bandmates and often plays a role that isn't as out front as some guys.

Most overrated? Herman Li of Dragonforce.

Haha I know what you mean about Herman Li... Can they plan out some cool sounding solos? Sure.... But when you watch them play live they sound like !@#$ in comparison...

Haha I know what you mean about Herman Li... Can they plan out some cool sounding solos? Sure.... But when you watch them play live they sound like !@#$ in comparison...

I don't think he can pull off half the **** he does in studio live.

Now, if we want to go with the best guitarist no one has heard of (yet), I have to nominate Rusty Cooly.

I've seen them play live twice. Once was before they were famous and the second time was post guitar hero. They sounded awesome the first time I heard them when they were doing their own tour. However, at Mayhem festival, where they were touring with a bunch of other bands, they sounded awful in huge part due to bad speakers. I don't know what it was you heard from them, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they didn't have a sound system that complimented them. playing with bands like slipknot, the speakers were set up for all base and no treble.

I've seen them play live twice. Once was before they were famous and the second time was post guitar hero. They sounded awesome the first time I heard them when they were doing their own tour. However, at Mayhem festival, where they were touring with a bunch of other bands, they sounded awful in huge part due to bad speakers. I don't know what it was you heard from them, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they didn't have a sound system that complimented them. playing with bands like slipknot, the speakers were set up for all base and no treble.

...or the sound engineer was a complete dumbass.

...or the sound engineer was a complete dumbass.

its not that there was a lack of treble sound, its that everything in the higher ranges was completely distorted and sounded like crap. Really pissed me off that I paid money to go see that to have it ruined by ****ty speakers.

Fred Lincoln "Link" Wray Jr (May 2, 1929 – November 5, 2005) was an American rock and roll guitarist, songwriter and occasional singer.

Wray was noted for pioneering a new sound for electric guitars, as exemplified in his hit 1958 instrumental "Rumble", by Link Wray and his Ray Men, which pioneered an overdriven, distorted electric guitar sound, and also for having, "invented the power chord, the major modus operandi of modern rock guitarist,"[1] "and in doing so fathering," or making possible, "punk and heavy rock"[2].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_Wray

Link's last new recording was 2000s "Barbed Wire", again recorded with his Dutch rhythm section. He was generally accompanied on tour by his wife Olive Julie, and since the late nineties his "colorful" Irish born road manager John Tynan. His regular backing band in the USA from 1998 until 2003 were bassist Atom Ellis and drummers Danny Heifetz (Mr. Bungle, Dieselhed) and Dustin Donaldson (I Am Spoonbender, various). In terms of musical history, it should be noted that one member of his band in the '80s, on drums, was Anton Fig (famous as Paul Shaffer's drummer on the Letterman show for the past 26 years.) He continued to tour up until four months before he died.

Archived