Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

At what age should kids learn to shoot/handle a gun?

GoSkins561

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Maybe they could create some programs in the city so kids can learn how to handle guns with care, just a thought. For the most part, guns that you have in the city and used in crimes, are pretty much stolen to begin with, therefore they really don't have any relation to this conversation.

A lot of kids in some suburban and rural areas are trained to safely handle guns in controlled environments(shooting ranges, trap ranges, in the woods, etc.) at younger ages. While owning a gun, isn't for anyone there is a benefit to teaching proper use and handling to kids at a young age.

I appreciate that. And I understand the "protect your family" bit also (as a father of an 8 month old, the fact that I don't own a gun has weighed on me a few times). But, I'd like to see a comparison stat for the last 1, 2, 5 or 10 years:

Number of crimes prevented by gunowners protecting themselves/their family against criminals

vs.

Number of people murdered by coward ******** with easy access to guns, who decide to take a lot of people with them before offing themselves because they're such miserable pieces of crap.

As a country, we are doing a poor job on this front.

My Dad is a gun owner and my brother, sister and I learned about guns and gun safety at an early age. I first fired my Dad's Webley pellet gun at around 12, and then once my Dad felt I was ready we went out and shot clay pigeon's with the 12 gauge. I own several guns, and will eventually teach my son's all about them when I feel they are ready. Maturity of the kid is a big factor.

Anyway, The #1 rule: Always treat a gun as if it is loaded.

Make that the first thing you teach a child before you teach them anything else about firearms.

Anyway, The #1 rule: Always treat a gun as if it is loaded.

Make that the first thing you teach a child before you teach them anything else about firearms.

I'll add never point a gun at anyone unless you have to.

I had pellet and B-B gun when I was 5.

I voted for 7-9 but,I think it's ok to have a pellet or B-B gun at around 5 or 6.

My dad taught me to shoot the .22 at age 5, I learned respect for firearms early. I was shooting a 12 gauge and 30.06 when I turned 11. I was rather small for my age and that was a lot of firepower for my size, but I was quite effective none the less.

I voted 7-9. I think prior to that they really don't have enough responsibility and caution in them. Obviously every kid is different, so I'm just generalizing on what I've seen.

My son learned to shoot the BB rifle w/ scope when he was 7. I probably won't let him touch a real rifle or shotgun until he's at least 10-11.

He won't touch a pistol until he's an adult.

I voted 7-9. I think prior to that they really don't have enough responsibility and caution in them. Obviously every kid is different, so I'm just generalizing on what I've seen.

My son learned to shoot the BB rifle w/ scope when he was 7. I probably won't let him touch a real rifle or shotgun until he's at least 10-11.

He won't touch a pistol until he's an adult.

What he said.

edit :woops quoted a pic

That's a great idea, maybe a trap instead of an enbankment would help build my wifes condidence. Is it big enough to place cans and bottle inside of?

The opening is about 8" across and 10" high. Here's a link.

You can put targets on a piece of cardboard and slide it in grooves along the side. The little metal targets are fun. No other way to shoot my pellet gun in the backyard of a townhouse.

There is no way to pick an age when every child is different. You have to judge how responsible your kid is before you can teach him to use a gun. I was taught to use a gun at a young age and I went through the gun/hunter safety course and such. Some kids just are not as responsible as others and thats where I think its up to the parents to decide.

I have little doubt you're in the minority thinking that. A thread about responsible gun ownership is frightening? I look at the stories here and they're about fathers and sons enjoying an activity. That's frightening?

I'm sure within this thread I'm in the minority. I understand that people do believe in responsible gun ownership also. However, I just can't see why a 7 year old should be handling a gun. When I was seven, I ate my own boogers even though my parents told me not to. Giving a 7 year old a gun and telling him its not a toy must go in one ear and out the other.

I'm just talking about natural and known mental, emotional, and psychological developments of 7 year olds.... I can't see how they should be touching a gun.

This thread is frightening

Did you ever learn to shoot? One of the purposes of teaching kids how to properly handl firearms is so that they are NOT frightening. They are a tool. An inanimate object. They can be dangerous, which is why you show them what can happen if they are used as a toy. You shouldn't shy away from things that can potentially harm you child. You teach them responsibility and discipline so that they can be prepared for life.

Incidentally, I'd also teach what to do if they ever find a firearm (be it on the street or in a friends house).

1. Don't touch it

2. Get away

3. Tell an adult

Supervised use of firearms is less dangerous than swimming is.

I'm sure within this thread I'm in the minority. I understand that people do believe in responsible gun ownership also. However, I just can't see why a 7 year old should be handling a gun. When I was seven, I ate my own boogers even though my parents told me not to. Giving a 7 year old a gun and telling him its not a toy must go in one ear and out the other.

I'm just talking about natural and known mental, emotional, and psychological developments of 7 year olds.... I can't see how they should be touching a gun.

You don't just give a 7 year old a gun and tell him it is not a toy. You supervise him, teach him, correct mistakes. Then when you are done, you take the gun back and put it away. I'm confident that nobody here advocates handing a loaded gun to a child and walking away.

Supervised use of firearms is less dangerous than swimming is.

I would love to you explain how a supervised child swimming, where nothing can "go off" or kill you, is more dangerous than a supervised use of a firearm where literally something can "go off" and kill you.

I don't see for kids to learn to shoot a gun at all. I am a veteran of the military and am a member of the NRA and have a few fire arms. But i still don't think that any kids need learn how to handle a weapon.

Why not? As someone who has handled firearms in your life, you know that there is nothing "mystical" about them. Why not expose children to that fact and teach them how to be responsible?

Gun safety can never be tought too early to someone who is going to regularly be around them. Honestly i feel if more people are taught at a young age... they would respect guns a lot more and have a greater understanding of what they are capable of. I said 9 to 11 but i have no problem with younger then that.

TSF the benefit of teaching kids about guns at a younger age is teaching them to respect the power of a gun. I have no doubt that teaching proper handling at what ever age prevents accidents. It is normal for people like yourself, who have not been around guns or ever fired a gun to be uncomfortable around guns. It is important for people who have been raised around and especially own guns to think about these things when kids come into their lives.

I would love to you explain how a supervised child swimming, where nothing can "go off" or kill you, is more dangerous than a supervised use of a firearm where literally something can "go off" and kill you.

but if tought correctly, there wont be the "accident". I'm not sayin when a kid is 8 you hand him a 12 gauge, but starting with a bb gun and working up, understanding how dangerous they CAN be if mistreated and abused, there will be a much better understanding and the chance of accidents decreases exponentially.

Archived