Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

At what age should kids learn to shoot/handle a gun?

GoSkins561

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

My family went on a hike yesterday at Fort Washington, while walking through the park to hit the C & O, we passed a group of Revolutionary War reinactors firing their black powder rifles with live ammunition at targets. My wife who is pretty much terrified of guns for some reason, wanted to keep her distance. Me being a gun owner, I wanted to get my 4 year old up close. It was really cool, they were firing small canons, black powder rifles and muskets for about an hour. We went on our hike and had a great day.

So later that day, we get home and my son started asking me about my guns. So I thought, what the heck, I have a harmless little pellet gun in the garage, lets set up some cans up out back and have some target practice, what a great learning experience, right?. While setting everything up, my wife got pretty upset, since it was so nice out I saved the battle for a different day.

Going back to when I was little, my Dad gave me his .22cal from when he was a kid when I turned 6. He taught me how to fire it when I was 5. He taught me the responsibility of handling a gun, the basics of never pointing a gun at someone, and if he ever caught me playing with it when he wasn't around he would whip my ass. I took his word for it and consider myself to be very responsible with all of my guns.

Today, I keep my guns (except my pellet gun) safely stored and out of reach from my little one. I strongly believe accidents happen in the home because kids are not properly educated at a young enough age.

When is an appropriate age to teach your kid(s) to fire a gun?

(edit) BTW, I think 4 to 6 because that is when they start to get curious. If anyone has any ideas on how to deal with the wife I am open to all ideas. :)

I said 7 to 9 years old. I think if they have a better understanding of it it's less likely, God forbid, that if they get a hold of one that there will be an accident.

It goes without saying that it would be impossible for them to get a hold of one of your guns without your supervision and guiding them.

All 3 of my nephews were taught to fire weapons at around 8 years old by my Dad. Retired Army and Vietnam vet. I was taught roughly around that time. More than anything else,he taught us respect for the weapons. And retribution would be swift if we even thought about the gun he had in the room for protection.

I said 7 to 9 years old. I think if they have a better understanding of it it's less likely, God forbid, that if they get a hold of one that there will be an accident.

It goes without saying that it would be impossible for them to get a hold of one of your guns without your supervision and guiding them.

I agree 100%, about supervising them while they are little. My Dad didn't trust me to venture out on my own with my buddies until I turned 16.

Hand gun? Rifle? Shotgun?

Did your Mom or Dad hunt?

I shot a rifle and shotgun for the first time around 15. I think I shot a handgun later, maybe 17 or so.

No, neither my mom nor dad hunt. I don't think either has shot a gun before.

All 3 of my nephews were taught to fire weapons at around 8 years old by my Dad. Retired Army and Vietnam vet. I was taught roughly around that time. More than anything else,he taught us respect for the weapons. And retribution would be swift if we even thought about the gun he had in the room for protection.

I never learned about the retribution my dad warned me of, but I knew never to go there.

I voted "other" because I don't think that every family is the same. Some kids might be ready to handle a gun at 8, others not until they are 12 or older. The parent who would be teaching needs to decide when his/her child is ready to learn. The child needs to be able to comprehend gun safety, and respect the weapon.

As someone with a large collection of firearms of different shapes and sizes, when I have kids I'm not going to let them get anywhere near guns until they are about 8 or 9, and if I think they're fit to learn how to shoot at that point I'm not going to let them ever fire more than 1 controlled shot at a time, handle the gun in the presence of ammunition outside of whatever shooting position we are in, and certainly not until the kid can first disassemble, assemble and clean the firearm, as well as tell me exactly what function each part performs, how, and why.

Above all I would have to teach the kid what the only purpose of the firearm is and be comfortable with how they treat the gun in return...that is to say, I would hope by age 8 or so a child can comprehend the danger involved with guns and if I get the slightest idea at all that they don't understand that (aka treating the gun as a toy, target shooting as a game, or are absent minded enough to not follow basic safety rules) they aren't even seeing the things again until they're 18.

I shot my dad's 30-30 when I was 10 or 11. So I would say between 9 - 11.

My dad bought me my first gun (20 Gauge Shotgun with Slug Barrel) when I was 12 so I could go hunt small and big game with him. The next year I was given his 30-30 which I still have to this day, although I'm thinking of getting a 7mm Mag deer rifle.

I had an easier time in basic training when it came to weapons firing and qualifying due to my dad introducing me to guns at an early stage.

Edit: I also went to a week long police camp when I was 12. It was ran kind of like the military from what I can remember and we got to fire the old M16A1's while we were there. And just to clarify, you had to apply to get into this camp, it wasn't because you were bad that you got sent there ;)

I voted "other" because I don't think that every family is the same. Some kids might be ready to handle a gun at 8, others not until they are 12 or older. The parent who would be teaching needs to decide when his/her child is ready to learn. The child needs to be able to comprehend gun safety, and respect the weapon.

I agree with you when it comes to handling a gun which might skew my poll a little, what about firing a gun. I use to lay down in the back of my Dads Lincoln Town Car and shoot bottle and cans, he would load the gun for me and was very on top of the situation. So what about firing a gun if it doesn't include handling?

I agree with you when it comes to handling a gun which might skew my poll a little, what about firing a gun. I use to lay down in the back of my Dads Lincoln Town Car and shoot bottle and cans, he would load the gun for me and was very on top of the situation. So what about firing a gun if it doesn't include handling?

For me personally, I would say if the child is not ready to "handle" a gun, he/she is not ready to "fire" a gun either. Just my opinion.

I've only ever shot guns at summer camp, so the first time would have my first year at camp when I was 6. The first few years it was only BB guns, prolly around age 10 or so I moved up to .22's and then various other guns that I don't really remember other than the M16.

I learned in a very controlled environment though. We never had guns in the house nor did anyone in my family use guns outside of camp so I'm not really sure what my thoughts would be on this.

Children are never too young to learn, guns are not toys; and guns are not to be used by children. Fact is guns take strength, judgement, and control to use; none of which Children pocess. I know adults who like the idea of guns but struggle with the hard reality of the weapons.

Growing up in a gun culture, it was not uncommon to have loaded weapons in our house readily available. I knew from an early age guns were very very dangerous and not to mess with them, If I did and survived; I surely would not survive my parrents after the fact.

I wouldn't give a child a pellet gun, because they are dangerous and blur the line between guns and toys. I would use a pelet gun just like I use a 22 cal. It's a cheap way to practice my aim, it's not a toy nor are they for children.

Today folks wouldn't treat guns as my parrents did, haveing them ready for use in various locations around the house. I grew up in an area were their were concerns with safety and where this didn't seem out of the norm. I like you own a gun safe, and would never leave a gun out, much less a loaded one.

My kids have heald guns, they have seen me cleaning guns, and they know never ever touch one cause they are not toys and htey have no business doing so....

As for the age survey, I said over 12. I really don't think kids 12 and under have the strength even if they might have the judgement.

I said 12+ because generally earlier than that, while it's true they know right from wrong they don't yet fully comprehend long term consequences and such.

Growing up in the suburbs then moving out to the country sure changes your perspective on guns.

I learned at 7 or 8 years old. My parents were divorced, and my mom didn't keep any guns around the house (not that she hated them, she just never used them. She has several now). So when I would go to visit my dad, that was one thing we did together that I really looked forward to. He owns mainly for hunting purposes, and so most of my learning was done with .22s and then hunting rifles. I did a lot of shooting with .308 caliber rifles at that time.

When I got to be old enough to purchase my own firearms, I gravitated towards military surplus / military "type" firearms, since I already had several hunting rifles given to me. When my daughter is old enough to understand the consequenses of screwing up, we will be going to the range. If she's not "interested" in guns, we'll go a few times so she is familiar with them and not scared of them. If she is interested, we can go from there.

I never learned about the retribution my dad warned me of, but I knew never to go there.

I pretty much looked at the "retribution" that I learned about the hard way in other areas and figured that it would probably be worse. Much worse. Which is why I never went there myself.

I pretty much looked at the "retribution" that I learned about the hard way in other areas and figured that it would probably be worse. Much worse. Which is why I never went there myself.

I'm pretty militant about 12+ for shooting. Kids have no business shooting weapons. They aren't strong enough to learn how to do it proficiently, and they don't have the judgment...

I would add though at some point, everybody should know how to handle a gun. Folks die today from gunfire not because of bad judgement or maliciious behavor, they die as often as naught in the suburbs of stupidity and ignorance.....

I had a buddy growing up who died from a gunshot to the head. His father was a military man who kept a gun around the house, but never tought my friend how to use it. One day at college a group of guys were passing an "unloaded" gun around and one of the boys knowing it was unloaded pointed it at my buddies head and pulled the trigger. Anybody who knew anything about guns would have known even without the clip in the handle there can still be a cartrige in the barrel. My buddy died because of stupidity, which is just as bad as handing a gun to a child and getting shot when the child shoots blindly into the brush after game. Guns aren't toys and that line shouldn't be breached, but nor are they so dangerous folks shouldn't learn how to handle them safely; even folks who are scared of them and don't want them around should know how to handle them safetly.

They shouldn't. If kids ain't allowed to smoke and drink they shouldn't be allowed to shoot. In fact, we need to arrange a surgery where all humans are sterilized until 25 and have no trigger finger removed and reinserted at 18.

Archived