Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

At what age should kids learn to shoot/handle a gun?

GoSkins561

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

• 1 month later...

I am probably the exception, but my family came from Appalachia and by the time I was 5, I was hunting with a .410 shotgun with my dad. We would hunt small game, and anything you shot you had to eat. The only things ever shot around my grandparents farm that weren't eaten were ground hogs. Everyone hated those suckers. The wholes they made could brake a cows leg if they stepped in them.

Today I never hunt. Funny.

If you want something for home protection, get a shotgun. Hard to miss with a shotgun at close range, and the sound of a shotgun just strikes fear into any burglar in the next room.

I agree with this. I never understand why people think they need a handgun for home protection. Handguns have little use for anyone who isn't law enforcement or a criminal (IMO). I understand that people find handguns fun, and we all wanna be Wyatt Earp, but if you really feel you need a gun for home protection, a shotgun is perfect, and if you really hunt, you want a rifle.

just curious if anyone here has a CCW permit? I was surprised (kind of) to see how lax VA is with concealed carry and how strict DC and MD are

DC and MD are strict as possible and VA's motto should be "Welcome to Virginia: Have a gun"

I agree with this. I never understand why people think they need a handgun for home protection. Handguns have little use for anyone who isn't law enforcement or a criminal (IMO). I understand that people find handguns fun, and we all wanna be Wyatt Earp, but if you really feel you need a gun for home protection, a shotgun is perfect, and if you really hunt, you want a rifle.

handguns are great for protection when you are outside of the home.

I believe you, but there's a very high probability that if you pull a gun the crisis cycle increases. In the home is one thing. Out on the street is a different issue.

Once my friend and I got jumped by muggers, but he was armed and they left when he pulled out his gun.

Once I was sitting at a bar with a different friend, who got into a fight with some guy who said he was pulling his gun out and my friend put a knife to his throat quicker.

Once my friend and I got jumped by muggers, but he was armed and they left when he pulled out his gun.

Once I was sitting at a bar with a different friend, who got into a fight with some guy who said he was pulling his gun out and my friend put a knife to his throat quicker.

Thankfully, I'd argue that you got lucky. I suppose you may be right, but both those situations could so easily have escalated into the worst of possibilities.

Thankfully, I'd argue that you got lucky. I suppose you may be right, but both those situations could so easily have escalated into the worst of possibilities.

True, but I like guns and I like that my friends have way too many and carry them.

Only reason I don't have one, is because I drink too much and I'm a passionate person, who relies too much on emotion at times. :)

True, but I like guns and I like that my friends have way too many and carry them.

Only reason I don't have one, is because I drink too much and I'm a passionate person, who relies too much on emotion at times. :)

I'm cool with that. Even better with the fact that you know yourself well enough to not carry one. To be honest, that would make me more trusting of you having one. It's the guys who don't think I worry about.

I'm cool with that. Even better with the fact that you know yourself well enough to not carry one. To be honest, that would make me more trusting of you having one. It's the guys who don't think I worry about.

I think the gun problems come down to other social economic issues and have little to nothing to do about gun control laws personally.

If we fix our drug policies and start taking care of the class gap and educate our poor a lot better, the gun problem goes away imo.

I think the gun problems come down to other social economic issues and have little to nothing to do about gun control laws personally.

If we fix our drug policies and start taking care of the class gap and educate our poor a lot better, the gun problem goes away imo.

I think gun problems are multifaceted too. I think economics, education, drugs, etc are a factor, but I also think that humans are violent reactive animals as well. We're not nearly as rational or logical as we like to think we are and guns make killing too damn safe and easy.

I think gun problems are multifaceted too. I think economics, education, drugs, etc are a factor, but I also think that humans are violent reactive animals as well. We're not nearly as rational or logical as we like to think we are and guns make killing too damn safe and easy.

Well, I do agree with that also. There would be a lot less murders, if we had to use a bow and arrow or even knives.

Here is the State of Virginia's take on your question.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/general.asp

Mandatory Hunter Education Requirement

You must complete an approved hunter education course and carry your certificate while hunting if either of the following apply:

You are 12-15 years of age (you must complete hunter education but you do not have to carry your certificate if accompanied and properly supervised by a licensed adult).

You are at least 16 years of age and you are hunting with your first hunting license.

Although it is recommended for all hunters, you are not required to complete hunter education if:

You are under the age of 12. However, you may not hunt unless accompanied and directly supervised by a licensed adult.

With that I would say that if a child under the age of 12 is legally allowed in the woods he or she should have some parental training in advance.

I started out with a BB/pellet gun and then a .22 cal at around 8 years old.

Nothing wrong with firearms in the right/educated hands.

No, they're not. Tell me about the time that pulling out a handgun in public served you well.

same number of times pulling a shotgun out at home served me well. just because I have not needed one does not mean that it would not come in handy in the event something bad should go down.

My Uncle and I have often talked about this:

He thinks that if every adult carried a gun (registered, etc.), all the time, there would be much less violence in America. Because having a gun doesn't give some misguided fellow "power" over everyone else in the room, neighborhood, etc. It would make those who AREN'T responsible gun owners, but who would own them anyways, think twice, or three times, before lashing out or committing violence with a gun.

I'm not sure that I agree, but I think its an interesting idea. Kinda like the Wild West, or the Cantina in Star Wars, where everyone's packing. People are more careful. Hmmm.

Archived