Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

At what age should kids learn to shoot/handle a gun?

GoSkins561

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I say wait until their around the teens to learn. Growing up in DC the only guns being shot were on the 4th of July or New Years for me. When my mother married my stepfather thats when I first went to a gun range and he taught me how to shoot and clean and take about guns. I was in high school around the time

TSF the benefit of teaching kids about guns at a younger age is teaching them to respect the power of a gun. I have no doubt that teaching proper handling at what ever age prevents accidents. It is normal for people like yourself, who have not been around guns or ever fired a gun to be uncomfortable around guns. It is important for people who have been raised around and especially own guns to think about these things when kids come into their lives.

I don't doubt that parents will do everything they can to explain to a seven year old the responsibility that comes with and the power and the dangerousness of a gun.

I just don't think a seven year old will ever grasp it. :2cents:

I don't doubt that parents will do everything they can to explain to a seven year old the responsibility that comes with and the power and the dangerousness of a gun.

what if you go with the 7 year old and hand him the gun at the range and when you go home you take it back?

give it to him to clean it and then take it back?

What is everything? There isn't that much to learn about a gun to respect and learn its not a toy.

Understand how a safety works. Know to never ever point a gun at a person loaded or not. Always keep the muzzle down range. Know how to clean and care for a gun.

Know that above all else it is not a toy BUT not something to be feared.

Have you ever used a gun? I could be wrong but a lot of fear of guns comes from people that have never used them or understand them.

What you are doing is taking away the fear of the unknown for a child so they don't find a gun and think it is a toy because they don't understand them.

I would love to you explain how a supervised child swimming, where nothing can "go off" or kill you, is more dangerous than a supervised use of a firearm where literally something can "go off" and kill you.

Firearms don't "go off", you have to pull the trigger. This is where gun safety comes in. Just like I wouldn't let a child play with a band saw until he knew the rules of safe use, I wouldn't let a child shoot a gun supervised until they knew a) keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, B) be sure of your target and what is beyond it, and c) don't point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy.

As far as statistics are concerned, from the CDC:

Unintentional deaths per 100,000 (ages 5-17):

Drowning: 0.8

Firearms: 0.2

Unintentional deaths per 100,000 (ages 5-14):

Drowning: 0.6

Firearms: 0.1

what if you go with the 7 year old and hand him the gun at the range and when you go home you take it back?

give it to him to clean it and then take it back?

He'll potentially find it one day and play with it.

I just don't think a seven year old can understand what a gun is and does. Its not that I doubt parents doing everything they can to teach him what it is, its that I doubt he can really understand it... even if he says he does.

He'll potentially find it one day and play with it.

I just don't think a seven year old can understand what a gun is and does. Its not that I doubt parents doing everything they can to teach him what it is, its that I doubt he can really understand it... even if he says he does.

trigger locks. theyre cheap and every gun should have one. when i had my 12 guage I would keep it high up on a shelf with a trigger lock until i went to bed and then i took it off and put it under my bed.

Know that above all else it is not a toy BUT not something to be feared.

Have you ever used a gun? I could be wrong but a lot of fear of guns comes from people that have never used them or understand them.

What you are doing is taking away the fear of the unknown for a child so they don't find a gun and think it is a toy because they don't understand them.

I have never used a gun, no. I'm sure everyone thinks that makes me ignorant of this entire thread.

That being said, what I left up there displays what I don't believe a seven year old will understand. I don't think a seven year old will understand the difference between a toy and a gun, or the difference between respect and fear.

trigger locks. theyre cheap and every gun should have one. when i had my 12 guage I would keep it high up on a shelf with a trigger lock until i went to bed and then i took it off and put it under my bed.

I know that there are all sorts of safety devices etc.... I don't think a SEVEN YEAR OLD CHILD will get it.

Its not just guns though... Do you think a seven year old should be taught a car is not a toy, but something to be respected, so you let him drive?

Firearms don't "go off", you have to pull the trigger. This is where gun safety comes in. Just like I wouldn't let a child play with a band saw until he knew the rules of safe use, I wouldn't let a child shoot a gun supervised until they knew a) keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, B) be sure of your target and what is beyond it, and c) don't point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy.

As a matter of statistics, you need to explain how many kids in those age brackets swim every year and how many are given access to firearms.

I have never used a gun, no. I'm sure everyone thinks that makes me ignorant of this entire thread.

That being said, what I left up there displays what I don't believe a seven year old will understand. I don't think a seven year old will understand the difference between a toy and a gun, or the difference between respect and fear.

well thank you for answering honestly. And I think some of your fear of the gun or what you think 7 year olds might do with a gun comes from the fact you have not used one but that is of course your choice.

I don't think you are giving 7-9 year olds enough credit for what they can or cannot learn. They have an amazing ability to learn things and often at that age strictly follow what their parents are teaching them and not thinking like most high school kids that they already know more etc.

As stated before trigger locks ensure that kids don't just wonder upon guns and use them. Also guns should be in a safe when not ready to be used.

There are many activities that are far more dangerous than guns but 7 year olds are still allowed to do them. All that is required is ensuring that kids understand about guns so they know what they can and cannot do.

It's not the same as giving a child a gun to go play with and return when they are done.

I know that there are all sorts of safety devices etc.... I don't think a SEVEN YEAR OLD CHILD will get it.

Its not just guns though... Do you think a seven year old should be taught a car is not a toy, but something to be respected, so you let him drive?

thats a trigger lock. not a trigger safety.

not much for a 7 year old to get. if you dont have the key, you dont pull the trigger.

trigger_gun.gif

thats a trigger lock. not a trigger safety.

not much for a 7 year old to get. if you dont have the key, you dont pull the trigger.

What about pistol whipping? I keed.

Seriously, I'm not trying to prove that a seven year old is going to shoot himself one day... I'm saying I don't see a seven year old actually understanding whats going on with guns given their mental developments and the risk of stupid things happening to a seven year old, by virtue of him being a seven year old, is pretty high.

Seriously, I'm not trying to prove that a seven year old is going to shoot himself one day... I'm saying I don't see a seven year old actually understanding whats going on with guns given their mental developments and the risk of stupid things happening to a seven year old, by virtue of him being a seven year old, is pretty high.

I know what you are doing and I dont think you are calling 7 year olds stupid. if people like you didnt question things like this there would be problems. I am just the other side of the coin but I know where you are coming from.

And the way you get a 10 year old who does understand is to start teching the 7 year old who doesn't. It sinks in, just like all the lessons we learn at that age. Averybodies been consistent that you don't just give it to them without watching them like a hawk.

As far as driving, I drove the car on my dads lap when I was 7 or 8. Not in nova, but when we lived in the country in Colombia.

Why not? As someone who has handled firearms in your life, you know that there is nothing "mystical" about them. Why not expose children to that fact and teach them how to be responsible?

I just don't see the need. I'm not saying others are wrong for doing so. My mother was EXTREMELY AGAINST guns. The first time I saw one was in middle school by another student when I was 12. I reported him. The next time was in the military. Then I became an owner.

I still just don't see a need.

Police Department have gun safety programs and give away gun locks.

If you have a weapon in the house then everyone in the house should be aware of it and by law needs to be stored in a safe condition. If a child uses your handgun in a commission of a crime your going to get charged also.

I taught my kids at 5-6yr old about gun safety and I reiterate it constantly. They see my Beretta every day. I havent actually taught them to use a gun but they are fully aware of the danger. I will however teach them as soon as I feel they are mature enough to handle the responsiblity. Each child is different in that respect so I voted other.

Were those kids that drowned closely supervised such as the kids that were closely supervised by firearms?

Stats can be skewed. I just have a hard time believing that under that same conditions, firearms would be higher.

I just don't see the need. I'm not saying others are wrong for doing so. My mother was EXTREMELY AGAINST guns. The first time I saw one was in middle school by another student when I was 12. I reported him. The next time was in the military. Then I became an owner.

I still just don't see a need.

My guess is that you own a gun for protection, many of us own guns for sport, what is the problem with teaching responsibility so your kids can participate in a sport with their father?

My kids are 5, 10 and 11. They've all shot both a 22 pistol and a 22 Jr. sized rifle. My son was 4 at the time. I helped him hold them so he could pull the trigger. Learning about them at an early age is nothing but positive. They have a much better understanding when they see what happens to a target. There is no mystery for them about what a gun does or how it feels to shoot one. I have much less concern that they'd stick around a friends house who pulled out a gun then I would have otherwise. There's no curiosity to outweigh what they've been taught to do in such a situation.

I don't think a SEVEN YEAR OLD CHILD will get it.

As I said earlier, I was 5 when my dad first had me shooting. I understood the dangers and understood the reason for safety. I knew the difference between a toy gun and a real one. At no time when my parents weren't around, would I "play" with the real guns, and they were very accessible.

My dad would take me to the range to shoot so that answered any curiousity that I had about guns. So, at five I "got it." Perhaps if parents would take time to teach kids about firearms at a young age, the kids won't be tempted to handle the guns without adult supervision. Worked for me and I haven't killed anyone..... yet.

Archived