Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo! Sports: Redskins re-sign PK Shaun Suisham

Rocky52Mc

I'm surprised to see that I could not find this on the boards! Please direct me if I missed it but I searched + re-read the first 2 pages twice!

ASHBURN, Va. (AP)—The Washington Redskins have re-signed kicker Shaun Suisham.

He went 26-for-36 (72 percent) on field-goal tries, the worst rate among NFL kickers with more than 10 attempts.

For his career, Suisham is 67-for-86 (77.9 percent) on field goals. He has made 76 of 77 extra-point attempts.

Last month, the Redskins signed Dave Rayner as possible competition for Suisham in training camp.

I like the man, but he needs to step it up this year!

Well we actually already knew about the Skins doing such as we all knew no one was going to pick him up and the skins had already tendered a contract on him as noted in this thread:

http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=281218&highlight=Suisham

People are quick to get overhyped about everything.

He had a decent FG percentage in 2007 and I'm wondering if his problems last year had anything to do with adjusting to two new holders.

He was pretty good inside of 40 (only missing 2). If you look at his stats, you can see that he broke down at mid-season (right about when everybody else broke down)

In the first 9 games, he was 8/9 from 40-49 yards

and in the last 7 games, he was 3/7 from 40-49 yards.

Thats a big difference in that range, and I wonder if it had anything to do with our new punter we had acquired.

Now, I'll admit that I've never been comfortable with him from 50+, but 50+ is not expected. I like a kicker thats money inside the 40 and at least 75% from 40-49 yards. I think Suisham's that guy, especially if you look back at 2007 when he was 18/20 inside 40 and 10/13 from 40-49.

So basically I'm glad we're bringing him back because I think he's a good kicker.

It simply amazes me that year after year, people develop, get older, finish their collegiate career, and we STILL can't find a kicker. How hard can it be? For the love of God, someone, somewhere, who frequents this board, take it upon yourself to kick 100 balls a day for the next year, and go tryout with the Skins next year and win the job.

Well, there aren't many options out there. Rob Bironas is a RFA I believe, but Lord knows that the Titans will match any offer made to him. We could also bring in an older veteran like Paul Edinger or Matt Stover, but Edinger's been out of the game for awhile and if we sign Stover, we'll have to get another kicker for kickoffs and for anything beyond 50.

So, it's not the best option- Bironas is- but compared to what else is out there, the Redskins have to at least bring him back to compete in camp. However, I would hope they put some effort into scouting kickers, and we can bring another one into camp to try and seize the job, and not end up with a Durant Brooks-esque disaster. However, we may have to suffer through another season with Suisham.

I'll be looking forward to the justification for this one.

Suisham sucks.

I'm sure they'll say they want to keep continuity.....at sucking!!

A miss left or right occasionally is fine. but when you come up short on 40 yarders means >>>> YOU ARE NOT AN NFL KICKER.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Pretty much the assessment my mind gave the situation after the initial shock wore off.

You gotta wonder about what's going to happen if this team really blows this year.

The funny thing is if we suck Zorn will be CANNED. And we will keep the same players like always. Surely it cant be the PLAYERS fault!. Its basically the reason we are never very good/elite.

This is a bad move with Vinny written all over it.

Why would you assume such a thing?

There were clearly no kickers on the market... Except for, oh, you know, all the other kickers that were on the market :)

I really hope Rayner shows something or Suishy has improved drastically. It's bad when you go to the bathroom during a FG attempt at the bar because you know he's going to miss it anyways :)

Archived