Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Michael Phelps...weed?

Spaceman Spiff

To echo some of what's already been said:

To me, the DUI thing is a far worse crime than smoking marajuana, and should have received the coverage this is getting instead. This kid may be a phenom, but he's not showing a pattern of making good choices here.

I thought the DUI thing did get plenty of coverage at the time. If I'm remembering correctly, didn't he get the DUI years ago?....right after Athens. He was a star then, but definitely not yet a household name. If he got a DUI NOW, I'm sure it would get more coverage.

I thought the DUI thing did get plenty of coverage at the time. If I'm remembering correctly, didn't he get the DUI years ago?....right after Athens. He was a star then, but definitely not yet a household name. If he got a DUI NOW, I'm sure it would get more coverage.

For who he was (a 19 year old Olympic phenom) and what he did (underage drinking and driving) I thought he got off comparitively easy to how most celebs are treated in these situations.

To me, the larger issue isn't so much the weed or whatever, it's Phelps apparent lack of good choices. Whether it's being caught smoking weed, or getting a DUI, or according to one story, being blackout drunk in a bar. There's a pattern here that isn't good. Sure, apologists are going to say "Hey, he's just being a 23 year old." Well, my question would be, "why is it socially acceptable for 23 year olds to be blackout drunk, etc?" Phelps is a gifted swimmer and a celebrity, and like it or not, he needs to be more cautious, especially when he's out in public.

Well, my question would be, "why is it socially acceptable for 23 year olds to be blackout drunk, etc?" Phelps is a gifted swimmer and a celebrity, and like it or not, he needs to be more cautious, especially when he's out in public.

And that would be a good question. I never bought into the age argument about anything. Why is age an excuse to do wrong?

And that would be a good question. I never bought into the age argument about anything. Why is age an excuse to do wrong?

Nothing wrong with a little pot. The dude's trying to live a life he never had growing up. Literally his entire teenage years were spent in a pool training. I feel bad for him, and totally sympathize with him wanting to go out partying now. He shouldn't have to apologize imo.

Nothing wrong with a little pot. The dude's trying to live a life he never had growing up. Literally his entire teenage years were spent in a pool training. I feel bad for him, and totally sympathize with him wanting to go out partying now. He shouldn't have to apologize imo.
One of my best friends grew up with him in B'more and they used to smoke weed and drink beers together all the time in high school. At heart, he is your typical American 23 yr. old male

If E33Green's story is to be believed, it doesn't sound like Phelps didn't get to "live a life" he missed out on, it sounds like he was doing plenty in high school. In that case, your entire defense would be baseless.

He doesn't have to apologize, sure. Keep in mind, I don't care about pot one way or the other, but I am respectful of laws. That's why I don't care if someone decides to smoke up, I just don't want to hear any ****ing if they get caught. They knew what the law was when they made their choice.

At worst, he'll lose some of his sponsors, but he's made plenty of money so that shouldn't be a problem. I really do hope he manages his money well, because I don't think it'll be a continuous stream. The way I see it, and this is just personal observation, Phelps has about 4-5 years left. He'll be young enough to compete in one more Olympics and pick up a few endorsements afterwards, assuming continued success. After that, I'm afraid it'll be the end of the line, for a few reasons.

1. Swimming isn't a very mainstream sport. As great as he is, people generally stop caring a few months after the Olympics. remember Mark Spitz? Or more locally, remember Arlington hero Tom Dolan? Barely, because people don't care as much.

2. I watched Michael Phelps on Saturday Night Live. I've seen his commercials. He is terrible in front of the camera. There's a reason why he doesn't speak much, if at all, in his commercials. So I'm not sure the endorsements will hold up after a few years.

He can probably make money as a swimming coach if he chooses to go that route. Who knows what else. I just hope he manages his money well and stays an American success story, weed or not.

That doesn't look like him to me. Even if he did smoke a little, who cares. I think he deserves a break from all the hard work and dedicating his life to his countries gold medal desires. No body was *****ing about him hitting a pipe half way through the olympics. I think he's just letting off a little well deserved steam. I'm not condoning pot use, but I'm sure it was a fleeting party thing.

Oh damn Phorward, I must have missed that. Well if he can party it up and still set WR times in the pool, more power to him.

Yeah, like I said, I don't care if he does. I just don't want him (or anyone) to whine and ***** if they get punished for it. Frankly, I'm glad he admitted it like a man instead of claiming it wasn't him.

I still want to know if he was doing this in the middle of his heavy training leading up to the Olympics.

agreed. Then maybe those stupid above the influence commercials would end.
Now those dumbass above the influence commercials will hopefully come to an end.

you must really hate those commercials to post the same thought twice.

That, or you simply forgot.

Again, they can get away with it because of who they are and what they do. And of course, lets be realistic here, they're not high when they're out there competing. Let some average joe get a drug conviction and then try to find a job.

Sure, I'm all for being realistic.

Let me be as realistic as i can possibly be.

Realistically there is no reason that it should be any more illegal than beer.

Realistically, your boss should be no more worried about it than he should be if he had an employee who drank a few beers when he got home.

realistically, it should be handled the same way. No driving under the influence, no smoking or drinking at work.

And realistically, the whole country would not go down the crapper because of it.

Realistically, continued prohibition is simply not stopping anyone from smoking it. Realistically, it wastes police time, wastes public resources, and realistically, all of these things have been proven again and again and again.

Realistically, the arguments for continued prohibition fall apart and have absolutely no basis in the reality of the situation.

~Bang

Sure, I'm all for being realistic.

Let me be as realistic as i can possibly be.

Realistically there is no reason that it should be any more illegal than beer.

Realistically, your boss should be no more worried about it than he should be if he had an employee who drank a few beers when he got home.

realistically, it should be handled the same way. No driving under the influence, no smoking or drinking at work.

And realistically, the whole country would not go down the crapper because of it.

Realistically, continued prohibition is simply not stopping anyone from smoking it. Realistically, it wastes police time, wastes public resources, and realistically, all of these things have been proven again and again and again.

Realistically, the arguments for continued prohibition fall apart and have absolutely no basis in the reality of the situation.

~Bang

Realistically, your post just echoed my very feelings about marijuana. Very nice sir.

~Boom?:silly:

Hes already not very well liked here in Salisbury since this is where he got the DWI and was slapped on the wrist for it....I cannot see this helping his case on the shore at all...But I do agree with the previous poster when they said "sounds like a typical Ravens fan!"

2. I watched Michael Phelps on Saturday Night Live. I've seen his commercials. He is terrible in front of the camera. There's a reason why he doesn't speak much, if at all, in his commercials. So I'm not sure the endorsements will hold up after a few years.

So true here. Everytime I see him on TV I feel like I am watching "Rocky II" when they kicked him off the set for not being able to read the cue cards...

Archived