Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Michael Phelps...weed?

Spaceman Spiff

That must be why. :silly:

I mean... it's just weed. Does there really need to be a thread 12 pages long describing how it should be legal? Kids in Philly are slangin' heroin. If kids can sell heroin, weed should be legal. Imagine how happy and subdued ES would be if everyone was on weed?

:silly:

EDIT: I think THAT dude is on weed lol.gif

It's obvious the LSD that you took as one of those 20-somethings back in the day killed off far too many of your brain cells for you to be a productive member of society.

Right on. The one's screaming the loudest are usually the one's with the most skeletons in their closet. :D

From personal view, when I drink alcohol I turn into 250 pounds of fury. When I smoke weed I laugh, have deep conversations, and really get to thinking about issues. When I drink I am obnoxious, loud, angry, dumb, but when I smoke weed I am calm, productive, thoughtful, and overall a happy person. Now that does not mean that I need weed to make me happy, but simply stating; I am a hell of a lot more comfortable with myself with marijuana in me. That's the one thing marijuana has over alcohol, productivity. You see these above the influence commercials where kids are convinced that pot is the worse drug ever and you won't do anything, but video games will make you not do anything and they are legal. My willingness to study is 10 fold when I smoke.

That's because the Sarah Palin loyalists are still arguing a dead point. She smoked a boatload while in college, but now as a 40-something mom marijuana is a virtual poison. Somehow she became the latest neo-con icon. "She's such a sharp lady!" Remember the propaganda during the campaign? It seemed like it was a requirement that to be a candidate for office, you had to have smoke marijuana, even in the Republican party.

I'm surprised that this thread has lived on for so long... much longer than most ACW threads.

That's because the Sarah Palin loyalists are still arguing a dead point. She smoked a boatload while in college, but now as a 40-something mom marijuana is a virtual poison. Somehow she became the latest neo-con icon. "She's such a sharp lady!" Remember the propaganda during the campaign? It seemed like it was a requirement that to be a candidate for office, you had to have smoke marijuana, even in the Republican party.

You are seriously off your rocker. You have NO credibility.

I lived in SC. Lott will nail Phelps to the wall if he gets a chance. Mark my words.

He'll want to improve his image; the increase in Columbia's violence over the past decade has made him look really, really bad.

They have no case. Only a picture, which has been discussed as containing a guy who resembles Phelps, holding a bong, somewhere, at sometime. And Phelps statement, which admits to nothing, and probably could not be introduced at a trial anyway. Phelps won't take the stand. So they are going to have to find a bunch of pot-heads to testify they saw him. The defense is going to rip these guys apart. I'll take the million dollar lawyer every time.

The Twenty Somethings of Generation Ipod are already stupid enough from embracing liberalism so why should government be on the hook for decreasing the few remaining brain cells by legalizing weed?

How about you get with living without the stuff, grow a pair and live in the real world instead of the mind altered one via drugs.

Thanks for stereotyping us NavyDave :D

speeding kills marijuana doesn't, it is illegal for many reasons and none of them involve actual danger to society.

then you might want to start with rewriting some laws first... like someone said earlier in the thread.. this isnt about whether if smoking marijuana should be legal or illegal buts its about Phelps should get a better treatment under the current set of laws because he is this all-american athlete?

Thanks for stereotyping us NavyDave :D

Now now, don't pick and choose, both sides are doing it, like this nitwit.

That's because the Sarah Palin loyalists are still arguing a dead point.

Yep, because everyone who is either against marajuana, or doesn't care either way, is a neo-con. As Dictator said, you probably shouldn't speak.

Everyone from both sides in this thread is giving me a headache.

Hold up there:

A cause? What cause? Ending slavery was a cause. Women's rights was a cause. Opression from a foreign government was a cause. Being able to smoke a plant is not a cause, it's a lifestyle preference that in the grand scheme of things, isn't worth this sort of debate. Those of us who could really care less don't view this as robotic subservience to our government, we really just don't care.

P, you're my dude and i respect you, and I understand that the issue isn't a pressing on to you. But for a second, put your beliefs and understandings of cannabis aside, and wether you believe me or not, at least allow me to tell you that cannabis does indeed have medicinal purposes. It helps build appetite in AIDS, and Chemo patients. It helps combat nausea in AIDS, and Chemo patients. It has shown to be beneficial to reducing stress, and assisting with glaucoma in some folks. And please, don't tell me all the cons about it, or that smoking anything is bad for your lungs. Many prescription drugs on the market have a little label that has a list of side effects that are longer and are MORE dangerous than the actual benefits of taking the medicine, so i won't even entertain that nonsense. "Here have some xanax for your anxiety....but don't stop taking it, you might have a seizure!"

There are those of us who want to see it legalized for medicinal purposes, just as much as we'd like to see it legalized for other purposes. Bottom line, it has medicinal value, and when people wake up and stop being so ignorant about it, they'll see that it is a worthy cause. I never said it was on the level of women's rights or civil rights or anything like that. But it is a worthy cause, whether those who "really don't care", may understand it or not.

That's why I find it easy to say the law is written to be followed, because I don't really feel like there needs to be a change, nor would I care if one occurred. Even if I did smoke pot, how exactly is my lifestyle (or those of any citizen of this country) going to vastly improve if pot is legalized? And I don't mean that from a fixing our economy and environment standpoint.

Principle my friend, it's all about principle. I'm old enough to drink alcohol, and am expected to make educated decisions when i do so. I'm not going to get into how much worse alcohol is for this nation than weed, i'm just going to say that as an American citizen, i should stop being lied to by our government and be granted the same rights for marijuana, that i'm granted for alcohol. So what will vastly improve? The piece of mind that my country won't continously and blatantly lied to me about things that i know for a fact, aren't true. I'd like to have faith in my country when it comes to educating my son about what's REALLY bad for him, and what needs to be used responsibly, as opposed to what's going to get him addicted to a lifestyle that's nothing but trouble. I'm sorry, but i know more hard working, tax paying, marijuana smoking, Americans than i can count on 2 or 3 sets of hands. I can't say the same for users of meth, crack, cocaine, lsd, pcp, etc etc etc. I'm sick of our country telling kids that marijuana is as bad as these other drugs, and them being heartbroken because they THINK Michael Phelps is a "drug addict". It's ridiculous people.

Is smoking up going to suddenly make people better drivers, or stem the tide of illegal immigrants, or cause the person smoking it to double their earning power at work and afford a better life? No, it's going to give you another activity to participate in recreationally. Sorry, but to me, that's not worth the argument. Not believing in your cause doesn't make me or anyone else a robot. Decriminalizing pot isn't going to bring about some huge sweeping change the way some of the examples in the first paragraph did. To me, all it means is that people will smoke this stuff in public instead of behind closed doors.

P, i'm not calling you ignorant, so please don't take offense. But your last sentence is nothing but ignorance. Of course legalizing pot won't make people better drivers, or any of that other stuff that you said. But you think legalizing pot = smoking in public? :doh: What a shame. Alcohol is legal, do you encounter a bunch of drunks, drinking in public everyday? Again, it's obvious that you don't care about the subject, because you have been HIGHLY misinformed of the true obstacles that are being overcome by legalizing this plant. It's not your thing and i get that. But by "really not caring", you "really don't care" to educate yourself about the issue anymore than you think you are already. And that's fine, but don't criticize those of us who do in fact have a ton of positive reasons why this plant should at the VERY least, be decriminalized.

When I talk about the law being followed, all I mean is, you know the law, you're breaking it willingly, if you get caught, take your punishment (extremely light in most cases) like a man, regardless of your feelings on it. You know the stakes going in.

I can agree with you on that. I can't do anything about the law the way it is, other than let my one little tiny voice be heard. If you get caught, you get arrested because it's illegal. That's the way things are. But it boils back down to principle. And just because it's the way things are, doesn't mean it's right. That's all i'm saying.

Lol, you're right Drop. What we need is a revolution!! We could have the Boston Pot Party and throw a bunch of MJ into the bay to kick things off, then I propose we march on Washington and demand these dirty, rotton, scoundrel politicians recognize our right to indulge in pot and puffy cheetos to our hearts content. Thank God Michael Phelps has joined our cause and so thoughtfully decided to spearhead a peaceful protest at a frat party by taking a bunch of rippers off a bong...I mean, why else would he be lighting it up at a frat party? Clearly he was protesting our suppression by the American government and decided to stick it to the Man by publicly taking rippers at a party.

Your example of a "Boston Pot Party", while almost humorous, is historically innacurate, and in all honesty the comparisson makes little to no sense. There is no taxation problem with cannabis, there is no governmental distribution problem with cannabis, because um, it's illegal. big DUH on that one, lol. ;)

As for marches on Washington...funny you say that. I've actually participated in one of the Hempfests in DC, back when i was in high school. And it's sad that your view of the situation REALLY leaves you believing that people ONLY want weed legal so that they can "indulge in pot and puffy cheetos". This kind of mentality is the reason we have an entire country of people (other than those who use cannabis for whatever reason) who don't know the difference between cannabis and hemp. And on top of that, don't know why hemp and cannabis are, and can be even more beneficial to this nation. So keeastman, good example there. Spot on with that one.

Criticizing Phelps over something that is currently illegal is not silly at all. I highly doubt Phelps's overriding agenda at this party was to free himself from being a "robot" of our government. No, he wanted to get high as a kite, just like a lot of young people do...whatever. I don't really care, I've been to a lot of parties where people are lighting it up, lots of my friends have and still do smoke pot on occasion. I don't really care what they do.

Wow, quite impressive. You realized that Phelps was getting high just because he's a young dude and was at a college party. Odds are, he doesn't care about pot enough to be as involved or informed as he could be. That's great for him. But just because he MAY be smoking simply to get high, doesn't mean the rest of us don't have MORE interest in the cause than just that. I guess potheads are all the same huh? Dummies who just wanna get high and snack on munchies. LOL, our country is so brainwashed and they don't even know it.

The last two presidents of this nation were known to smoke pot in their younger days, a 14 time Olympian smokes occasionaly, the superbowl MVP likes to dance with Mary Jane, damn near EVERY MUSICIAN you listen to i bet, has or currently does, smoke weed. Are you getting the picture here? Successful people everywhere who smoke pot, OMG! Maybe it's time our country put their resources and time into something other than putting non-violent, weed smokers behind bars because of the facade that "marijuana is evil", and the government's refusal to educate people about the plant's benefits.

However, I do get tired of posts like yours that try to equate the "cause" of legalizing pot with important causes in our nation's history, like abolishing slavery...or the civil rights movement. That's an insult to my and others' intelligence. Call it for what it is: people wanting to smoke pot without legal repercussions. Don't try to swing this load of BS about how kids at frat parties are lighting up in protest of government suppression.

You're reading way too much into this. Let me get this straight with you real quick. I in no way, equated my personal beliefs of pot, to be the same reasons Michael Phelps was smoking. NOR, did i equate the cause to legalize marijuana, as being as important as aboloshing slavery. You're putting words into my mouth, that i never said, nor even expressed. Now if you could start representing what i'm saying accurately, that would go a long way for the sake of the conversation. Maybe you just didn't understand my original post in this thread, and that's cool, no harm no foul. But for the last time, Michael Phelps smoked cuz he's a still a 23 year old American who likes to party. I on the other hand, could go on and on about the actual advantages of Cannabis. Things that stem from nature, to the economy, to health, to general rights of an American. Do i think Michael Phelps is that involved? Haha, no way. He's just a young dude who likes to toke every now and then.....that would be my guess anyway.

You want to "implement sustainable change" in our government? Let me help you out here...the road to legalizing marijuana doesn't start at a friggin frat party.

Nope you're right, it doesn't. It starts by writing your state officials, by supporting the groups that support legalization, and by voting for the things you can concerning the topic, anytime you can.

But don't get it twisted, that's not going to stop people from smoking up, nor should it. Phelps was stupid for being so high profile and getting caught. Don't hold his stupid actions to the rest of weed smokers though....most of us are far less important and tiny than Michael Phelps. you won't see us on the tabloid pages, but you might see us in your local jails wasting YOUR and MY tax dollars on something so completely absurd to be arrested for in the first place. We're just talking about the smokers now. Care to talk about the edlerly who get raided and locked up for having legal prescriptions as per their state of residence? (I know federal supercedes state gov't, and that's a WHOLE different conversation) And if you need some links of uneeded raids on people who are TRUELY sick, i'd be more than happy to dig some up for you.

The Twenty Somethings of Generation Ipod are already stupid enough from embracing liberalism so why should government be on the hook for decreasing the few remaining brain cells by legalizing weed?

How about you get with living without the stuff, grow a pair and live in the real world instead of the mind altered one via drugs.

Embracing liberalism? LMAO!! If you call me being able to make educated decision about my own life, and keeping the government OUT of it, liberalism, then i don't know what to tell you buddy. You're clearly confused.

:silly:

TOP TEN MICHAEL PHELPS EXCUSES

10. Anxious to rid myself of those bothersome billion dollar endorsements

9. Too much chlorine

8. Uh... I thought it was chapstick

7. Asked myself, 'What would Chong do?'

6. Uh... Glaucoma?

5. It's my last chance to goof off before I have to settle down and get a real swimming job

4. Uh... I got bitten by a groundhog?

3. Chillax, Broseph

2. Was doing research for upcoming film "Michael and Kumar Go to the Olympics"

1. Huh?

TOP TEN MICHAEL PHELPS EXCUSES

10. Anxious to rid myself of those bothersome billion dollar endorsements

9. Too much chlorine

8. Uh... I thought it was chapstick

7. Asked myself, 'What would Chong do?'

6. Uh... Glaucoma?

5. It's my last chance to goof off before I have to settle down and get a real swimming job

4. Uh... I got bitten by a groundhog?

3. Chillax, Broseph

2. Was doing research for upcoming film "Michael and Kumar Go to the Olympics"

1. Huh?

lol, that's pretty funny. is that letterman's top 10 or something?

Michael Phelps Kellogg Contract Up In Smoke

An act that Olympian Michael Phelps chose to partake in last year on a college campus has reportedly cost the swimmer one of his lucrative contracts.

According to Advertising Age, Kellogg is letting Phelps' endorsement deal expire at the end of the month.

British newspaper the News of the World released a picture this week showing Phelps smoking a marijuana bong during a November house party at the University of South Carolina. A few months earlier, Phelps took home eight gold medals at the Beijing Olympics.

Phelps acknowledged the act, apologized and assured his fans and everyone else something like that would never happen again.

"I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment. I'm 23 years old, and despite the successes I have had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner that people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public, it will not happen again," Phelps said in a statement released earlier this week.

"We originally built the relationship with Michael, as well as the other Olympic athletes, to support our association with the U.S. Olympic team," a Kellogg spokeswoman said in a statement. "Michael's most recent behavior is not consistent with the image of Kellogg. His contract expires at the end of February and we have made a decision not to extend his contract."

This was not the first time Phelps has had to make a public apology. After the 2004 summer Olympics, Phelps was arrested for drunken driving. He pleaded guilty, apologized and said he would never make the same mistake again.

According to Advertising Age, Phelps also has a contract with Subway. They declined to comment. Copyright 2009 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Archived