Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Rogers or not?

Thinking Skins

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

As it's been stated in other 'Los threads, he is not going to settle for a mid-talent contract. The guy wants top 10 money and that's ridiculous. I say trade him while he still has value because no way he gets a $35-$45 mil contract.
Lito Sheppard is in the same situation as Rogers! Biggest difference is, we know that Rogers can play well here.

All I can find about Rogers being pissed, is that he's upset at not starting. Where does he say he wants top 10 money?

If we cut Springs loose, and pay Rogers starter money, what's the problem? :yawnee:

Why make problems for this team, when we could pencil in two really good corners (Hall & Rogers) and really good nickel (Smoot) and roll with it awhile? :movefast:

Whether or not to trade him really depends on how much the rumors are true about him wanting out. If they are true, then I think we should try to get a 2nd rounder for him, or a young talent on D. It sucks because he was just beginning to live up to his potential, but we could find someone to take his place if we needed to. Probably wouldn't be as good, but oh well.

The only reason why Rogers 'wants out' is because he believes the Redskins have given up on him as a core Redskin.

What no one from the organization has EVER explained is why Rogers so quickly went to the doghouse after what by most standards was a remarkable rehab and return from an ACL injury.

Over the summer Cerrato indicated that Rogers might not return before the mid-point of the season and instead he was the starter in the opener.

He had a great start to the season and played well during the 6-2 start.

If his play dropped off in the second half I would attribute at least some of that to the physical toll playing took on the knee and perhaps Rogers coming back a bit early.

I want to see the club resign Hall to a long-term contract. At age 25 he is already among the better corners in the NFL and he is a playmaker - see his interception totals after 4 years in the NFL.

At the same time, Rogers has a year left on his contract and I don't see why the Redskins should not at least attempt to negotiate a new deal for him as well.

In my mind you spend money on defense on the LINE and at CORNER.

Linebackers and safeties are the players you can draft, bring in as mid-tier free agents and switch from season to season.

That is what the Eagles and Giants have done to great success the past 3-4 years.

if Kiper is right and the market for Rogers is a low #2 or high #3 pick that is NOT value for the Redskins. Rogers at 27 is just entering his prime at cornerback and is now healthy. He was the #9 overall selection in the draft.

A high #3 pick doesn't equate to what Rogers did on the field in 2008.

If the Redskins want to trade Rogers because they feel his contract demands are too high that is one thing, but personally I would like to see better value coming back to the team than a #3.

Rather than trading him now or before the draft, the key to getting value for Rogers is to wait as Parcells did last year with Jason Taylor and trade him when a team suffers a season-ending injury at CB and is desperate to find a veteran replacement.

I said no. However, there are some solid CBs in FA who are Rogers' age or younger. IF you could get a decent trade for Rogers, and you sign a good replacement for a reasonable contract, then that is a smart move.

The more likely move from our organization, unfortunately, is to trade Rogers, cling to a fading and overpaid Springs for 1 more year, then spend on a replacement next offseason.

Absolutely NOT.

I mean damn, what good is trading him for picks.. he was a top ten pick just a few years ago. If you keep picking guys and trading them, what the hell is the point? Building through the draft only works if you BUILD.

You want to see more INTs out of Carlos?

Get after the QB. Beat him around, and like magic, INTs will rise.

If anyone doesn't think Rogers is an excellent cover guy, I'd say you haven't got a clue. He sticks to receivers. But that can only last for so long during a play. the receiver has the advantage every time. A CB can only react to him.

It's really not all that hard to figure out. As it is now, a QB has all month to stand back there and throw the ball. Which means if any of our secondary is going to get a pick, they will have to make an outstanding play on their own, or hope the QB or WR makes a mistake.

Pass rush creates turnovers. Pass rush combined with Rogers/ Hall/ Horton / Landry = a healthy rise in INTs.

Glad to see by the poll that most do realize what we have in Rogers.

~Bang

I'm seeing this issue discussed a lot in other threads and it was discussed initially when Springs brought it up and when JLC brought it up.

Still I've been thinking about this issue and I'm a bit confused. This site is full of people who say that we're supposed to build a team from the lines out. But I'm also seeing a coalition building saying that they don't want Rogers traded.

This brings me to the immediate question:

If trading Rogers could get us a legitimate DT, OL, (or OLB for those who say this is our weakest spot), would you do it?

What if instead of bringing us a veteran player at the suggested position, it brought us a 2nd round pick to use at the suggested position?

I think you will see a combination. I believe that Rogers will be in a package with another player that will bring us either an OT or DL/LB. According to which one we do will dictate who we will pick at 13. I just dont see them doing like they did last year when they traded the first rounder to get those multiple second round picks. You also have to realize that at this point we have only 4 total picks. At 13 we could be looking at Mike Oher from Ole Miss, Eben Britton/Arizona, Phil Loadholt/Oklahoma on the offensive tackle front and Brian Orakpo,DE,Texas or Ray Maulauga LB, USC on the defensive side.

I said no. For some reason, I really love our first round draft picks from '05, in JC and Los. I can't really see them on another team, and would be sad if they were to leave.

Agree 100%.

I would DIE if they trade Carlos. Who would lay the big hits and fire the crowd up? Picture it. No ST, no Carlos, Landry making less smackers. I'll spell it for you: B-O-R-I-N-G.

It will be just like the defense without Marcus on the field. NO SPARK.

I would seriously detach myself completely from this team if they got rid of my Auburn boy. *or be pissed off for as long as I could stand it*

Lito Sheppard is in the same situation as Rogers! Biggest difference is, we know that Rogers can play well here.

All I can find about Rogers being pissed, is that he's upset at not starting. Where does he say he wants top 10 money?

If we cut Springs loose, and pay Rogers starter money, what's the problem? :yawnee:

Why make problems for this team, when we could pencil in two really good corners (Hall & Rogers) and really good nickel (Smoot) and roll with it awhile? :movefast:

Consider this....

Lito Sheppard: age 27, career-18 INT's, 253 tackles

Carlos Rogers: age 27, career-6 INT's, 206 tackles

I don't think 'Los has played to his potential until earlier this year. He's been serviceable and I like him, however, I would prefer someone with more production if we have to pay the big bucks.

A few top corner age, salarys, stats:

Champ Bailey - 30: 7 yr $63 mil (43 INT)

Chris McAlister - 31: 7 yr $55 mil (26 INT)

Asante Samuel - 27: 7 yr $57 mil (26 INT)

Antoine Winfield - 31: 6 yr $35 mil (20 INT)

Nate Clements - 29: 8 yr $80 mil (29 INT)

Jump in to this 'Los thread and check out some of the posts about him, his salary thoughts, etc. It's a good read.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=277055&page=13

I think it would be utterly stupid to trade Rogers. All we hear about these days is the Redskins need to undergo a youth movement.. So we'll keep Smoot and Springs and get rid of one of our most promising youths. For what? A second round gamble? With Rogers we know what we have. He's great at shutting down corners, but isn't going to produce many interceptions(if any).. I'll take sure defense over the chance of interceptions any day.

Rogers and Hall in the secondary is scary.. I don't think we'll see Rogers next year, but I hope we do

Why trade him?

Hall

Rogers

Landry

Horton

Does anyone realize how set we are at DB? Very young. This could be our starting secondary for 5 years if we are smart.

Get rid of paperman springs. He plays 5 games a season.

QFT exactly how I feel about it.. Why get rid of a good player? Makes no sense

Consider this....

Lito Sheppard: age 27, career-18 INT's, 253 tackles

Carlos Rogers: age 27, career-6 INT's, 206 tackles

I don't think 'Los has played to his potential until earlier this year. He's been serviceable and I like him, however, I would prefer someone with more production if we have to pay the big bucks.

Not a fan of using stats to measure CBs, unless we are at least talking about more advanced metrics rather than just INTs. Sure INTs are great, but I'll take a guy who can shut down WRs over someone who is constantly burnt, but grabs a couple more picks.

And, if you ARE going to use stats, at least look at how many seasons the players you are comparing have played. Lito has been in the league for 7 years, Rogers 4.

Why trade him?

Hall

Rogers

Landry

Horton

Does anyone realize how set we are at DB? Very young. This could be our starting secondary for 5 years if we are smart.

Get rid of paperman springs. He plays 5 games a season.

Total agreement. Our secondary is arguably the best unit on the team.

I could see shoring up the nickel position. I like Freb Smoop, but he plays too far off a guy for my tastes. I'd like to see Tryon continue to develop, and I wouldn't want to see him gone, but shopping for a mid-priced depth corner wouldn't be a bad idea.

~Bang

Total agreement. Our secondary is arguably the best unit on the team.

I could see shoring up the nickel position.I like Freb Smoop, but he plays too far off a guy for my tastes. I'd like to see Tryon continue to develop, but shopping for a mid-priced depth corner wouldn't be a bad idea.

~Bang

I have no problem with that.

Not a fan of using stats to measure CBs, unless we are at least talking about more advanced metrics rather than just INTs. Sure INTs are great, but I'll take a guy who can shut down WRs over someone who is constantly burnt, but grabs a couple more picks.

And, if you ARE going to use stats, at least look at how many seasons the players you are comparing have played. Lito has been in the league for 7 years, Rogers 4.

wow, when you add the seasons played, Carlos's stats are better than Lito's.

Archived