Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Rogers or not?

Thinking Skins

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I said no. For some reason, I really love our first round draft picks from '05, in JC and Los. I can't really see them on another team, and would be sad if they were to leave.
It's not as sad if he doesn't want to be here. What IS sad is how many guys we are paying like Pro-Bowlers who don't play like Pro-Bowlers. Carlos is gonna want his payday, and he drops too many balls. Way too many. I like CR, but I wouldn't pay the farm to keep him, and we should probably take whatever we can get for him. From what I've read, he wants out anyway.

I think Carlos was one of our best players on D last year. He was coming off - and returning much faster than average - a major knee injury and played lights out. Let's see Springs plays around half the games and has a cap number probably quadruple Rogers'.

The Skins definitely need to keep him, and I expect him to play very well. The guy will be playing for a contract year next. And the skins don't seem to appreicate that you get the best out of guys when they are working to get a big payday. Just look at the Hall who played for the Skin versus the one who played for the Raiders. Redskins need to stop giving big contracts to guys before they get it done on the field for the Skins, see B. Lloyd.

You think Springs my have a bit of a coflict of interest. If the skins trade 'Los then Springs is much more likely to the Bazillions of dollars his contract calls for next year. The smart thing to do here is keep Los and cut Springs. Springs cap savings can give you a lot more value in the FA market, than a second or late round pick for 'Los would give you for finding an impact talent. Also, I think you try and lock up Hall at just below the first tier CB money.

No. Our secondary was the best unit on the team. So, the first thing we want to do this offseason is blow it up? Doesn't make much sense. Tell Rogers to buck up and play and he can worry about his contract after next season.

Trading Rogers and keeping Springs would be a huge step back for the franchise if you ask me. So, with that said, I expect Cerrato and Snyder will do it.

That would be dumb to trade Rogers. Bad idea. Especially since we used a first round pick on him. He is a our best tackling corner and is good at coverage. Granted he isn't a great catcher for interceptions but he knows that and is working to get better. Absoluty not.

If trading Rogers could get us a legitimate DT, OL, (or OLB for those who say this is our weakest spot), would you do it?

I understand what you are saying, but these guys would screw it up somehow and get the wrong player, and throw in extra picks for no reason.

I'm totally against it. I think we should keep our current picks and just eat this draft without the ones we don't have and not trade anymore away.

Carlos is a valuable player coming off of the best season of his career, he knows Blache's scheme inside and out and he is young. Having a 2nd round pick would be great but we would be making another hole for ourselves that would inevitably need filling in the next couple of years.

What we should really hope for, is that JT returns healthy for another season or two and we get he and Andre some help on that interior, then we would see us get our money's worth from those two picks, I would almost guarantee that he still has it in him.

No, why would we create a problem in our secondary to fix a problem in on our Dline or Oline. We should let Springs walk and get a compensatory draft pick and build a team.

ps...whose says VC would use the pick or picks on the lines anyways?

No, he showed last season he can shut down #1 WR's, and he's our most dependable and reliable DB. If we can re-sign Hall and then re-sign Rogers sometime this year, then we'll have our DB set for a good long time. Hopefully we release Springs unless he is willing to take a massive pay cut, and make Rogers our #1, and Hall our #2.

You do realize he got benched last year... We were 6-2 and ahead of the Steelers when Rogers dropped a sure pick-6... That was the beginning of the end for our season. He is solid, but he has never been worthy of the 9th pick in the draft. I'd say you keep him, unless you can get a good deal. I'm not sure what the value on the market is of a solid corner who can't make plays.

I voted yes to trade Him

1. I believe he will command a big contract.. uh huh no way Jose. you can't catch.. refrence steelers game

2. I think this as good as he going to get it..good solid man little or no football upside compared to Hall who the skins better pony up and pay for

3. he dosen't want to be here so just like champ bailey see ya

The problem with trading him for a second round pick is he outperforms a second round pick. LOS is a provven commodity and there is talk about settling for a pick of possibility. Horrible idea.

youmake it sound so simple. Suppose we can get a proven commodity along the D-Line? Doesn't that have a bigger impact on the success of the defense than a CB?

We all know that the problem with our defense was that we couldn't pressure the QB. So why not try to address that problem?

I think trading Carlos Rogers would be a mistake. I understand wanting to garner more picks to bolster our modest four, but not at the expense of trading Rogers.

Carlos' rookie deal is a five-year contract with '09 as it's contract year. His bonus dollars were prorated over seven years because of the way the front office structure the deal (leery of cap Armageddon).

As a top-10 pick Rogers in '05, Rogers got $15M in guaranteed money, which 'Skins prorated through 2010. So, just under 1/3 of that $15M in guarantees has yet to count against the cap.

All of this makes his contract a favorable one. Certainly not one that we would be pressed into ridding ourselves of.

Plus, while Rogers will be a restricted free agent next year, it would still cost us $1.5M to trade him this offseason.

Not to mention the fact that with injuries to Springs, Rogers was our best man-coverage CB. I would be very uneasy going into next season with a CB group comprised of Springs (injury-prone), Hall (gambler with adequate, if not questionable man-coverage skills), Tryon, and Smoot.

Absolutely not. Carlos Rogers is an up and coming player. He performs at an extremely high level behind a front seven that might as well take Sundays off. He doesn't have the hands to command Hall-in-Oakland type money but deserves a solid contract extension ASAP.

Even if we were able to get a first round pick out of him, we'd just be opening a hole at starting corner. Springs is excellent but overpaid and too fragile. Hall is an unknown. Smoot is overpaid and a nickel at this point. Tryon does not seem to be an NFL corner but that could change. I just don't see his replacement if we move him.

As it's been stated in other 'Los threads, he is not going to settle for a mid-talent contract. The guy wants top 10 money and that's ridiculous. I say trade him while he still has value because no way he gets a $35-$45 mil contract.

I'd like to see us sign Hall and work a trade for Lito Sheppard. Then we could cut Springs and end up with 2 young, excellent CB's. I doubt the Eagles would deal him directly to us but maybe something creative thru another team. :2cents:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl?page=2

Eagles losing value for Sheppard

One of the surprising aspects of the Eagles' loss to the Cardinals in the NFC Championship game was how far cornerback Lito Sheppard fell on the team's depth chart. Sheppard was demoted to the No. 4 corner and wasn't even part of the dime package (six defensive backs), replaced by rookie safety Quintin Demps, who was beaten on a 62-yard touchdown catch by Larry Fitzgerald. Last year, the Eagles turned down a third-round draft choice from teams interested in Sheppard. This year, they might be fortunate to get a third.

Archived