Extremeskins

Best chance of beating the Ravens? Pass, pass, pass, then pass some more

TrumanB

Do you like Scrapple?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Scrapple?

• Yes, Scrapple is great
    • No, Scrapple is nasty

"I really believe Jason has gotten caught up in the talk about how he's thrown so few interceptions."

I think this was stressed with him during the offseason, and he is being coached to be overly safe. Even the interception on the long ball against Giants, I was happy he at least attempted to go downfield.

On the other hand if he was turning it over like he did last year, we would be saying he hasnt progressed.......

The pass, pass, pass strategy doesn't seem to work with us. We need a running game to get our offense going. Our best hope is to establish a running game, or at least maintain a balance on offense. When was the last time we beat a good team without a solid day on the ground?

Of the 4 losses by the Ravens, only the Giants ran effectively (gaining something like 200 yards). Peyton had a big day against the Ravens lighting it up early and often. But the 2 other losses, the opponents didn't run well but had very good defenses (Titans/Steelers).

So looking at their 4 losses, you could argue that we need to play really solid defense, try to control the turnover battle, and then have JC complete enough passes to keep the defense honest.

I would love to see JC and the offense open it up this week but it just isn't the type of game he should even consider it. It is the type of game that he needs to "manage" and grind it out. Since JC is no Peyton and is more of a manager of the offense, we will see how he does.

I will wait to judge him more based on the final three games especially the Bengals and 49ers.

Our offense isnt going to win this game, IT WILL BE OUR DEFENSE!

After reading the D hall played them in week 5, I believe we have a decided advantage against them. We will control the run game, and the rook will finally look like the rook he is! Shhhhhh... Carlos finally catches one and takes it to the house! Oh and its the game winner!

HTTR!

It's amazing that something like 5-10 posters hijack every single thread, including this one. This is not a JC thread, really. What the OP stated is that he believes that the best strategy to beat the Ravens is to pass the ball. Here are some responses from both side that I think would be appropriate:

Disagree with OP:

With our O-Line, if we spread the field and try and pass, JC is going to get killed

JC hasn't proven that he can throw the ball effectively, so why do you think that would start now?

Our midget receiving corps + 2 no-show rookies are not going to be much of a threat to the Raven's Defense.

I think the best strategy is to run run run run run. Portis is the focal point of the offense. We've got to establish the run like the Giants did.

Agree:

Well, if the line can give JC time to throw, and the recievers make plays, it spreads the field and forces the Ravens to cover more ground.

I think the passing game is ready for a breakout game.

Well, we haven't proven that we can run against the good defenses like Pittsburgh, Dallas or the Giants, so why not give passing a try?

See. It's not that hard. If all you can contribute is "JC sucks" or the like, then what the hell is the point of the post, and go post it in a thread specifically about JC. Also remember that the QB gets all the blame and all the glory basically from fans who know nothing about football, so go buy Joey T's Football for Dummies, and read up.

Personally, I like the idea of trying something different. Spread the field, 3 wide, TE, RB. Spread out the defense. You can still run in that formation, and you force the defense to cover more of the field. Get the Rookies on the field, because their speed SHOULD cause the defense to back off a little bit.

See. It's not that hard. If all you can contribute is "JC sucks" or the like, then what the hell is the point of the post, and go post it in a thread specifically about JC. Also remember that the QB gets all the blame and all the glory basically from fans who know nothing about football, so go buy Joey T's Football for Dummies, and read up.

Personally, I like the idea of trying something different. Spread the field, 3 wide, TE, RB. Spread out the defense. You can still run in that formation, and you force the defense to cover more of the field. Get the Rookies on the field, because their speed SHOULD cause the defense to back off a little bit.

Great post. That's why your known as the Voice_of_Reason. :cheers:

I agree with the OP, maybe not 80/20 but something like 60/40 or 70/30, in that range. Use a couple reverses, a gadget play with ARE. Move the pocket, roll JC out more. Do more out of the shotgun. Try to get Kelly and Thomas involved, and give Thrash a rest. Tell Campbell to run if he sees a lane. Just win, damnit. I live in Ratbird country!

So what are you campbell defenders going to say in 2 years when campbell is done with the redskins and he ends up either a carreer backup, or as a starter on a terrible team who needs a qb to "not lose" the game?

If the Redskins are smart, Campbell will be our starter for the duration of Campbell's career.

It's not just that you are a JC basher/hater/critic or whatever. You're a "Starting QB basher". It's that the attitude from people like you...:doh:...JC is just a cog in your wheel.

Let's say, for the sake of the argument that you get your wish & Zorn benches Campbell & starts ________. ________ comes in & his first 3 passes are INTs for TDs. Now what? Now, we're down 21 more points. Now we've shaken the foundation of something good we were building on. Now, we have shown that we don't know what we are doing & NOW the team doesn't trust the coach.

And 2 years from now, you will be ****ing about how bad ________ is & "why did we even draft/sign this bum" & you'll be asking for HIS head & for the "next best thing" to come along....yet again. All because we continue to lose our patience & think "well, this guy isn't cuttin' it right NOW so we need a change" when what we REALLY need is to settle down, be patient, & let the man work.

Ok, so we're not looking as good now as we were at the beginning of the season. Yes, I'm disappointed in how the team is playing. But I'm disappointed in the TEAM, not JC. Not because I think JC is the second coming of Christ or anything, but I do feel like at some point, we need to stop the merry-go-round & deal with what we've got. And what I believe we've got is a smart, good QB who does an awful lot to try to help this team win games as best as he can...including trying to throw a block on the only TD we produced against the Ginas.

I believe JC is a very good QB & with time & PATIENCE, he COULD develop into a great QB. Stop trying to deal away whatever problems we have. Good teams deal WITH their issues, not deal them away. GREAT teams SOLVE their issues, not deal them away. In this case, I don't see JC as our issue.

Mark my words, we will NEVER be a GREAT team again as long as the revolving door stays open. When we change QBs & coaches every other year, we can't get the cement to set & nothing ever really changes.

But, if you don't like Jason Campbell, I suggest you stop watching the Redskins then, because he will be our starter for some time to come. As well he should be.

It's not just that you are a JC basher/hater/critic or whatever. You're a "Starting QB basher". It's that the attitude from people like you...:doh:...JC is just a cog in your wheel.

And 2 years from now, you will be ****ing about how bad ________ is & "why did we even draft/sign this bum" & you'll be asking for HIS head & for the "next best thing" to come along....yet again. All because we continue to lose our patience & think "well, this guy isn't cuttin' it right NOW so we need a change" when what we REALLY need is to settle down, be patient, & let the man work.

But, if you don't like Jason Campbell, I suggest you stop watching the Redskins then, because he will be our starter for some time to come. As well he should be.

You're attempts at reasoning with retardation are futile.

Muhuhahahahaha.

dead-evil-dolly-with-pentagram-on-head.jpg

Completely disagree. I actually think that a conservative low risk game is the way to go. Keep an extra blocker or 2 on most pass plays and roll out Campbell for some intermediate low risk throws.

You make Flacco look like a rookie and capitalize on their mistakes. Do a few misdirection plays and hope Suisham hits some chip shots. Take the ugly win, have JC get some pressure off of him and make the 3 game push into the post season.

Best strategy is for me to stop talking.

Fixed.

Honestly, these comments just make me angry, especially when they're waay off topic and completely unrealistic.

You don't like Campbell? Then wait till the offseason. I'll see you there.

Until then we've got games to win.

Pass protection, pass protection, and more pass protection. Give Campbell time to throw and he can do it....go 60 pass/40 run and get Cooley and Sellers involved...dump the ball off and let them run. I want to see Cooley get a redzone TD.

It doesn't have to come in big chunks of yardage. Just control the clock and play it safe but not too conservative. It felt so good to see Thomas score last week; get the rookies involved.

Btw, to all the JC bashers look at the drops from the WR's last week that should have been caught. These ****s are professionals and need to catch them when they hit their numbers.

And so another thread turns into a JC bashing thread.

Great..

The OP's entire premise is that we should "abandon the running game" from the outset as a strategy against arguably one of the perrenially best defenses in the league in their house. Do you really think JC is not going to come into play when discussing the effectiveness of such a strategy?

I appreciate how many people want to support their QB in here. I support him myself. I support him in the sense that I think we are invested so heavily in him as our franchise QB that he should get the start provided he is healthy through the 2009-2010 season.

That being said, the guy is simply not getting it done. There are a bunch of contributing factors of course including pass protection, these ridiculous recievers we have etc etc but at the end of the day Jason Campbell is not going into Baltimore and lighting up the Ravens defense this weekend. You know it. I know it. Everyone in here knows it. We will be lucky to get to 10 points in this game.

Our defense might keep us in it for a while but we will go down something like 20-3, 23-7, 21-0, 17-3 unless of course ed reed takes one to the bin against us which would possibly make it a 28-7, 26-3 etc type of game.

We have NO offense. whether we like that or not, JC takes some of the blame. When we were winning, scoring over 21 points against some decent defenses who weren't yet able to recognize the bubble screen by simply spotting the formation early in the season JC was being talked about as an MVP candidate and Zorn was up for Coach of the year. Well shockingly when the same team can't break the 14 point barrier for like 4 out of 5 weeks, loses 3 of the last 4 including multiple home games on National TV embarrassingly by scores like 14-10 the QB is going to get criticized. Even suggesting that he shouldn't be just sounds assanine to me.

Archived