Extremeskins

Best chance of beating the Ravens? Pass, pass, pass, then pass some more

TrumanB

Do you like Scrapple?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Scrapple?

• Yes, Scrapple is great
    • No, Scrapple is nasty

Ok, we all know how great the Ravens defense is. But, if you dig deep into the numbers, there is some vulnerability in their pass defense. Specfically, their pass rush.

They're ranked #9 in sacks, but that is a bit deceiving. The Steelers are ranked #1 with 42 sacks, the Ravens have just 26 sacks. If you look at the #27 ranked team in sacks, the Texans, they have 20 sacks. So, there's a much bigger spread between #1 and #9 than there is between #9 and #27. The bottom line - the Ravens pash rush is average. And Jason has proven that given a little bit of time, he can be very effective getting the ball out and to the right guy. The Ravens do have a great front seven, especially defending the run. Man, they've only given up 3 rushing TDs all year. But, there strong point isn't pressure on the QB. I think we have some real opportunties in the passing game against this team.

Now the Ravens do lead the league in interceptions. But, if you look closer, nearly half of those interceptions were from their front seven. There's some opportunities to take some shots downfield against a mediocre secondary. Chris McAlister and Dawan Landry are both on IR now. Of course Ed Reed is always a concern, but the teeth of their defense still resides with Ray Lewis and the others on the front seven.

With Clinton banged up and facing a very stout run defense, I'd like to see us basically abandon the run from the outset. I'm hoping for a 80/20 pass to run mix. Throw in a couple of runs now and then to keep them honest. And I don't really want to see any of those wimpy WR screens or check downs. Let's get the ball down the field, early and often. Get Kelly and Thomas in the mix and not just Moss. Put the ball in the air and let our receivers make a play on the ball. Jason plays so cautious sometimes that he doesn't take enough risks to try to make plays. I want him to sling the ball all night against this team. I think this strategy could work.

Thoughts?

I don't think you want to get pass happy because their front 7 is better than our OL. Unless you are doing a lot of three step drops, Campbell will get killed.

What I do think is that we can't expect 8,9, or 10 play drives against them. If we try to dink and dunk, they will eat us alive.

To win, the Redskins probably need at least 3 plays of 40 or more yards (or on the other side of the ball, a smorgasbord of turnovers). The Ravens are much more susceptible to the big play than Pittsburgh is. So, this is a possibility.

Am I crazy or does it seem like a majority of the Campbell bashers have NNT's?
You're not crazy...there's probably a good correlation between that too.
I don't think you want to get pass happy because their front 7 is better than our OL. Unless you are doing a lot of three step drops' date=' Campbell will get killed.

What I do think is that we can't expect 8,9, or 10 play drives against them. If we try to dink and dunk, they will eat us alive.

To win, the Redskins probably need at least 3 plays of 40 or more yards (or on the other side of the ball, a smorgasbord of turnovers). The Ravens are much more susceptible to the big play than Pittsburgh is. So, this is a possibility.[/quote'] Exactly.

We'll need to get really creative for some big plays against them. We don't have the line to do 5 and 7 step drops, that much is clear by this point, but doing quick 3 step drops for slants and other short routes will eventually get us killed.

Our best hope is to limit Flacco (which I think we can do) and get some turnovers off of him (Hall perhaps showing up again for a couple turnovers?) while using a couple gadget plays (like the reverse with Devin Thomas, or perhaps a Randle El pass)...if Portis doesn't play too then that takes away the threat of the play action a lot, since the Ravens' D will eat Betts for lunch and dinner.

We have to use a lot from our bag of tricks and go for big plays.

You're not crazy...there's probably a good correlation between that too.

Our best hope is to limit Flacco (which I think we can do) and get some turnovers off of him (Hall perhaps showing up again for a couple turnovers?) while using a couple gadget plays (like the reverse with Devin Thomas, or perhaps a Randle El pass)...if Portis doesn't play too then that takes away the threat of the play action a lot, since the Ravens' D will eat Betts for lunch and dinner.

We have to use a lot from our bag of tricks and go for big plays.

This is a very good point. They are another fast-flow defense, so I think you've got to slow them down by taking advantage of backside contain issues, make them adjust and stay in their lanes. THEN you take some shots downfield, assuming we can pass protect long enough for Tana to use a double-move or two.

80/20 pass to run is not going to happen. I just don't know how much we're going to get out of the ground game with CP banged-up; Ladell seems to be way inside Zorn's doghouse -- not without reason. Something has got to give, I know that much.

Am I crazy or does it seem like a majority of the Campbell bashers have NNT's?

So what are you campbell defenders going to say in 2 years when campbell is done with the redskins and he ends up either a carreer backup, or as a starter on a terrible team who needs a qb to "not lose" the game?

So what are you campbell defenders going to say in 2 years when campbell is done with the redskins and he ends up either a carreer backup, or as a starter on a terrible team who needs a qb to "not lose" the game?

I don't think the issue is the opinion of Campbell, I think it's the complete lack of adult reasoning skills behind the way it's expressed.

Probably admit we were wrong and move on. We don't have say over it anyways, so I'm not sure why all the vitriol is necessary or even if apologizing is necessary. It's out of our hands all together. For some reason I don't think a lot of the people spewing all the hate will be here in two years regardless of what happens.

Probably admit we were wrong and move on. We don't have say over it anyways, so I'm not sure why all the vitriol is necessary or even if apologizing is necessary. It's out of our hands all together. For some reason I don't think a lot of the people spewing all the hate will be here in two years regardless of what happens.

Good point. Another reason the JC bashers might be getting NNT'ed more than the rest of us is the implied HOPE that he fails, as seems to be the sentiment behind the little nut's post that you responded to.

We totally need to pass. But we need to qualify that with a pass for 10 yards on a 3rd and 9. Or a 8 yard completion on a 3rd and 7. I'm so sick of seeing us hit 6 yards on a 3rd and 9. And I've broken two remote controls over it. So, for the sake of my remote control, please Campbell make the 1st down pass!

Ahhh the inevitable what if questions. What if Campbell wins us the SB this year? What will YOU say?:doh:

What are you going to say in two years when flatulence surpasses CO2 as the leading greenhouse gas? These psuedo-hypothetical questions not only prove nothing, they add nothing to the discussion.

We totally need to pass. But we need to qualify that with a pass for 10 yards on a 3rd and 9. Or a 8 yard completion on a 3rd and 7. I'm so sick of seeing us hit 6 yards on a 3rd and 9. And I've broken two remote controls over it. So, for the sake of my remote control, please Campbell make the 1st down pass!

Absolutely agree. It kind of ties into what I said in my original post - that Jason plays too cautious, which results in going to your check down receiver too early and to often.

I really believe Jason has gotten caught up in the talk about how he's thrown so few interceptions. That's great and eveything, but some of it has to do with his cautious and conservative play. Just because your WR doesn't have 5 yards on the defender doesn't mean you can't throw him the ball. There aren't too many receivers in the NFL that can get that kind of separation from the defender. Sometimes you have to trust your receivers to make a play on the ball. I think that's been Jason's biggest problem and a direct result of why we can't put significant points on the board.

And I don't really want to see any of those wimpy WR screens or check downs. Let's get the ball down the field, early and often. Get Kelly and Thomas in the mix and not just Moss. Put the ball in the air and let our receivers make a play on the ball. Jason plays so cautious sometimes that he doesn't take enough risks to try to make plays. I want him to sling the ball all night against this team. I think this strategy could work.

Thoughts?

If it was last week i would have halfway agreed with you.

Come out 4/5 spread them out use some shotgun so JC could see the field and the blitz easier.

Get JC going with some easy rhythm passes to the backs or hit the slot receivers on quick outs, then hit some deeper slants, some dig routes, some corner routes, a couple shots deep.

But, now i just don't have much faith in the passing game.

Zorn seems to hate the shotgun and doesn't really spread the field.

Also the receivers haven't exactly been getting the job done, the pass-pro is improving but still gave up 4 sacks and JC hasn't been perfect.

I would rather see us pound the ball and use bootlegs and play action featuring Chris Cooley.

:cheers:

Probably the same thing you will. "Wow, how come he didn't put up those numbers for the Skins?" Or, "Wow, I guess the OLine does make a difference after all."

Archived