Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mortal Kombat (2010)

footballhenry

A little more light on the subject. Appears to be nothing more then a sales pitch to WB for a new Mortal Kombat movie.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/109/1095919p1.html

Mortal Kombat Begins. Again.

Seven of Nine Tweets about what's up with the future of Outworld.

June 9, 2010

Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine has put us one step closer to figuring out what yesterday's viral Mortal Kombat video was all about.

Via Twitter, actress Jeri Ryan, who plays Sonya Blade in that MK video, said: "It's not a game trailer. Actually was made for the director to sell WB on his vision for a reimagined MK film."

That director is Kevin Tancharoen, who helmed 2009's Fame remake. Wisely, he traded leg warmers for Baraka arm knives.

Last time we followed the movie's development cycle, it seemed that a lawsuit had put the movie on hold. But perhaps Tancharoen's efforts have made a dent changing all that.

If the online reaction to the gritty new footage is any indication, then Warner Bros. is sitting on a fairly cool videogame adaptation that could make some cash to keep all that Dark Knight money company.

Click on Sub-Zero's FBI file to watch the footage again, as we try to find out more about Tancharoen's efforts to make a new MK movie a reality.

I can understand some people that don't like the original compaired to todays special FX or even 10 yrs ago. But in 95 it was bad ass(and Sonya!!). The 2nd was forced and not a very good imho.

Kinda like TMNT. For the time, they were great, but looking back, very cheesy in a good way.

MK has been ****ty IMO since MK 3, when they introduced the Robot ninjas, Noob Saibot, Stryker, Kabal, etc. along with the ceiling smashing uppercuts. They tried with Deadly Alliance, but it just didn't feel the same, and MK vs. DC was a joke and a waste of $. I think I might get this one.

I can understand some people that don't like the original compaired to todays special FX or even 10 yrs ago. But in 95 it was bad ass(and Sonya!!). The 2nd was forced and not a very good imho.

Kinda like TMNT. For the time, they were great, but looking back, very cheesy in a good way.

Have to address this. TMNT 1 is actually really good movie. Its darker than you would expect for that comic book but it has really good touches to it. Shredder's character in this movie is done really well. Looks frightening as anything and the idea about recruiting wayward children feels really possible and ads a nice humanistic element to the movie.

I recently downloaded the first movie just to remember what it was like and I was blown away by how good it was.

The next two movies were complete ****.

Ok, that was just cool. Humanizing all the weird guys though, doesn't really seem to fit

I actually really like this idea. The first MK movie was cool for at the time but its hard to put special powers into live action. The word humanizing is a great description because it then adds an element were people will try to understand these dudes. Characters that are other worldly and kill just because aren't that interesting. The idea of baracka is straight up bad ass and that johnny cash fight scene is just so well put together. That cigar toke at the end was pretty classic.

that trailer looked great. You pretty much have to pick and choose elements of the story and add new ones in order to make the movie, but it seems like a better idea overall.

The main thing really is trying to beef up the need for the tournament, that never made sense. However, it seems there can be enough backstory for the rest of the characters.

Ok, that was just cool. Humanizing all the weird guys though, doesn't really seem to fit

I went from a mcoking stance to being genuinely interested in this by the end. All of the hokey callbacks were hilarious. I'll be pulling for this project.

• 8 months later...

Archived