Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should atheist celebrate Christmas?

WVUforREDSKINS

For years, i've doubted that there is a god, however I still look forward to Chirstmas because its nice to spend time with family, friends, and exchange gifts etc.

Is this wrong to celebrate the birthday of Jesus Christ? I am not looking for people to answer my question specifically but rather be general since millions are exactly like me.

From the Turkey Day thread:

whoaaa back up! atheists don't care if you call it holidays or christmas or whatever. it is a FACT that most atheists (like me) celebrate christmas, albeit in a secular way. i don't know who these "enemies of christmas" are, or if they even exist, but don't blame us, we atheists couldn't care less.

and to pre-empt the ignorant, yes, absolutely, atheists can celebrate christmas without acknowledging jesus. you christians do realize you stole the date and traditions from a half-dozen pagan religions, right? i don't need to believe in the bible to get psyched about being nice to people and giving gifts. :cheers:

For years, i've doubted that there is a god, however I still look forward to Chirstmas because its nice to spend time with family, friends, and exchange gifts etc.

Is this wrong to celebrate the birthday of Jesus Christ? I am not looking for people to answer my question specifically but rather be general since millions are exactly like me.

To be truthful, no, but Christmas has become so commercialized that anyone of any religion can celebrate without recognizing our lord and savior.

considering that originally Winter holidays had nothing to do with Jesus (especially since Jesus was born in Summer(I think, maybe Spring) and not Winter)...

As someone who has been an atheist for several years, I have no problem justifying celebrating holidays with one's family. Hell, I celebrated Hannika (sp?) with my Jewish friend even though I was never Jewish. Don't worry too much about not being religious.

Since the holiday traditionally celebrated in the U.S. has little to do (really) with the birth of Jesus, yes.

Any scholar of history knows that Jesus was born during the April/May time frame, and to compete with religions who celebrated during the Winter solstice, the birth celebration was moved to that time frame, effectively coopting the space from rivals.

Finally, while there are many christianic religious events and displays, most Americans will reflexively point to either a Christmas Tree or Santa Claus as the symbol of the holiday, if they were in a line-up with baby Jesus in a manger. That's just my gut reaction, not a scientifically established fact btw.

Santa Claus and Rudolph showed up just after the Magi.

So' date=' as you can see, every single part of Christmas is deeply deeply religious.[/quote']

"Mommy, I woke up this today and there was a Lincoln Log in me sock drawer."

"That's the story of Jesus."

Damn, WVU beat me to it.

I'm an atheist and I celebrate Christmas. Why not? It's a nice day, people everywhere genuinely try to be kind to one another.

It celebrates the birth of a great man. I don't have to believe he's the son of God to respect what his message was.

So sure, celebrate. There's plenty of good reasons to do so beyond religion.

~Bang

Since when is Christmas a Christian holiday? :)

I know a few devout Christians who don't celebrate Christmas.

At least they don't buy gifts, get drunk and eat too much. They think such behavior diverts attention and is not befitting a spiritual celebration of their savior's birth.

I try to gratuitously consume enough to make up for their material deficit.

Archived