Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Beer Company Is Brewing Pints From Sewage

An American brewing company has got the go-ahead to serve beer which has already travelled through other people's kidneys.

The light, yellow lager beer will be brewed by home brewers using recycled sewage water in Oregon.

While some drinkers might balk at the frothy, golden brew, Oregon's Clean Water Services hope it will show off just how pure the water they recycle from sewage is.

Drinking recycled sewage is quite common in some parts of the world - although less so in the UK.

Oregon waste water treatment company Clean Water Services is proud of its 'high purity' recycling system - and appled to the Oregon Environmental Quality Commission to be allowed to brew it into beer.

Permission was granted this Wednesday.

Click on the link for the full article

Bought my wife some Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout. Seriously one of the best chocolate stouts I've ever had. Little pricey for a 4-pack ($11.99), but well worth it.

Yep. Samuel Smith's is incredible. I really need to find more of their beers. Each one of the four Sam Smith's beers I've had has knocked my socks off. I really don't give them enough credit, in fact I ignore them way too much.

Samuel Smith's is some elite stuff. I've had the same impression after drinking Southern Tier's beers. They're on that level.

• Like 1

Beer Company Is Brewing Pints From Sewage

An American brewing company has got the go-ahead to serve beer which has already travelled through other people's kidneys.

The light, yellow lager beer will be brewed by home brewers using recycled sewage water in Oregon.

While some drinkers might balk at the frothy, golden brew, Oregon's Clean Water Services hope it will show off just how pure the water they recycle from sewage is.

Drinking recycled sewage is quite common in some parts of the world - although less so in the UK.

Oregon waste water treatment company Clean Water Services is proud of its 'high purity' recycling system - and appled to the Oregon Environmental Quality Commission to be allowed to brew it into beer.

Permission was granted this Wednesday.

Click on the link for the full article

Will make me think twice about drinking yellow beer. 

Yep. Samuel Smith's is incredible. I really need to find more of their beers. Each one of the four Sam Smith's beers I've had has knocked my socks off. I really don't give them enough credit, in fact I ignore them way too much.

Samuel Smith's is some elite stuff. I've had the same impression after drinking Southern Tier's beers. They're on that level.

In my uneducated days of youth, Sam Smith's meant dull pubs offering worryingly cheap imitation beers that I'd never heard of and dirty hangovers.

Then one day, after I'd learnt how to enjoy beer and done some more research, I picked up a bottle each of their nut brown ale and imperial stout. Loved them both and currently have a bottle of the latter and one of Yorkshire Stingo in my collection. Let's just say nowadays I'd gladly enter one of their pubs over one of the countless generic pubs in London serving nothing but interchangeable lagers and bitters that taste like a farmer's trousers.

• Like 1

I don't mean to be "that guy" but I wasn't blown away by Dead Rise.

Sometimes I wonder (seriously) if my taste buds aren't sensitive enough.

I mean if you're looking to be blown away by the old bay flavor, you're going to be disappointed. If you're looking for a really drinkable, citrusy/hoppy summer ale with a nice spice to it (mostly as an aftertaste), then you'll really like it. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

I'm the same way. Decent beer, but doesn't live up to the hype for me. I'll drink it, but there's other beers I like more for a good summer beer.

You're not alone. I'm not a fan of most Wheat beers anyway. But I like pretty much the whole FD line besides that! 

• Like 1

Dead Rise is one of my favorite FD beers. I don't notice anything off-putting about it, and don't think it's like most easy-drinking wheat beers. More flavorful. Citrusy hops, spiced like a Saison, it's a hybrid beer for crying out loud. The world needs more spiced beers, and this one is done with Old Bay? I'm in.

Swish it around on your palate if you're too used to stronger beers.

I've got a lot of love for beers that can keep it below 7% alc and retain highly enjoyable flavors. Young's Double Chocolate for example. Tastes like a 10%'er but it's something around 5%.

Skinsfan_1215 lead me to this frame of mind by preaching that you can drink more beer before reaching your limit. Dead Rise is 5.8% or something, I was guzzlin the stuff last year. I was a hero to all the hipsters.

I do love me some top shelf IPAs in the spring & summer, but I will make room for ciders, apple beers, American lagers, wheat beers, and even a 40 oz or two...screw stigmas.

Dead Rise is one of my favorite FD beers. I don't notice anything off-putting about it, and don't think it's like most easy-drinking wheat beers. More flavorful. Citrusy hops, spiced like a Saison, it's a hybrid beer for crying out loud. The world needs more spiced beers, and this one is done with Old Bay? I'm in.

Skinsfan_1215 lead me to this frame of mind by preaching that you can drink more beer before reaching your limit. Dead Rise is 5.8% or something, I was guzzlin the stuff last year. I was a hero to all the hipsters.

Ha absolutely. I can't tell you how many 6 packs I crushed out on the water in the lower Potomac last summer. Fish ain't biting? No worries. 

Also- I'm not a wheat beer guy. I wasn't even aware Dead Rise was considered a wheat beer. Doesn't drink like it to me. 

• Like 1

I've got a lot of love for beers that can keep it below 7% alc and retain highly enjoyable flavors. Young's Double Chocolate for example. Tastes like a 10%'er but it's something around 5%.

I do love me some top shelf IPAs in the spring & summer, but I will make room for ciders, apple beers, American lagers, wheat beers, and even a 40 oz or two...screw stigmas.

That's the exact reason that I took higher ABV beers out of the kegerator rotation.   What's the use, if you can, only drink a couple?   I currently have Victory Prima Pils, on tap.   It's flavorful, and only 5.3%   Another good one is Sierra Nevada Nooner.    Low ABV, great taste, and you can drink more than a couple at one sitting.     Now, instead of getting saddled with 15 gallons of a particular "heavy" beer, I now buy a greater variety of beers, while always having the Pils to fall back on, when I just want a beer.

Have you tried Heavy Seas Crossbones?   I think you'd be surprised to know that it's only 4.5%, but pretty hoppy and flavorful.  On the other end of the spectrum, you should try the Double Cannon.  It weighs in at a whopping 9.5% and it's friggin' delicious.  It's a seasonal, so I may be stocking up before June.

More than one brewmaster has told me that one of the true measures of a brewers skill, isn't in those heavy beers, with lots of ingredients, (which can mask deficiencies), but how well they brew the simpler beers.   That's where the true skill lies.

• Like 1

I mean if you're looking to be blown away by the old bay flavor, you're going to be disappointed. If you're looking for a really drinkable, citrusy/hoppy summer ale with a nice spice to it (mostly as an aftertaste), then you'll really like it. 

It's not so much that I'm expecting to be blown away by the Old Bay.  My perception is that people seem to think it's an incredible beer, the kind of thing where people say, "Man, if I don't have a Dead Rise when it comes out my summer isn't complete."

Reading peoples' more detailed comments in the last few posts puts it more in perspective for me, and I agree.  It's fine, there are plenty of things I'd order first, but if it were on sale or if I were at someone else's place and that's what they bought, I'd have no complaints.

Re: lower ABV.  Absolutely.  I started paying more attention to that over the past year or two.

Edit: And I actually do believe my taste buds are less sensitive than the average person's.  I would have a hard time telling you the difference between two different blends of coffee that are both dark and bitter, for example, or two different hoppy IPAs.

Edited by dfitzo53
  • Like 1

Edit: And I actually do believe my taste buds are less sensitive than the average person's. I would have a hard time telling you the difference between two different blends of coffee that are both dark and bitter, for example, or two different hoppy IPAs.

You're probably selling yourself short, when it comes to your taste buds, and your ability of differentiating the levels of "hoppiness" apart between beers.

With apologies, in advance, for sounding like a know-it-all beer douche, I can almost guarantee it. Get a Sierra Nevada Torpedo, a Heavy Seas Loose Cannon & a Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA, (all of which are easy to find in the DMV area), and pour a little of each into different glass, smell and taste them.

The difference in taste will be very noticeable. There are many factors involved, i.e. the type of hops, how they add the hops in the brewing process, when they add the hops, etc. Also, many people confuse hoppiness with bitterness. More hops doesn't necessarily mean more bitter. Continually hopped beers, like the the Dogfish 60 minute, or beers where hops are added several times during the brewing process, like the Loose Cannon, are very hoppy,but not super bitter. Wow, I did come off sounding beer douchey. Sorry!

I'm with you on the Dead Rise...I'd just assume rim a glass with Old Bay, and fill it with Natty Boh. Tastes better and it's a helluva lot cheaper.