Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

The whole beer snobbery thing has hit epic proportions.  It's kind of odd if you ask me.

Drink your beer and like it, stop worrying about what others drink.

Oh no doubt. 

I keep a can or two of Miller Lite in the back of the fridge at all times for when the desire to throw one back hits me.Plus it's always there for when someone comes over and doesn't want a 7% IPA.  I'll drink anything that isn't skunked (or isn't intentionally brewed to taste skunked). 

I do love my craft beers, but if I'm going out and know I'm planning on drinking alot, I'll drink Bud Light, Michelob Ultra, etc. If I'm just going to have a beer or two, then yeah I'll drink a nice craft beer 100 times out of 100.

Like for instance this weekend in OC. When to Dogfish Head Brewpub Friday during the day and had a nice sampling with my lunch. That night, the Bud Lights were out in full force.

• Like 1

Oh no doubt. 

I keep a can or two of Miller Lite in the back of the fridge at all times for when the desire to throw one back hits me.Plus it's always there for when someone comes over and doesn't want a 7% IPA.  I'll drink anything that isn't skunked (or isn't intentionally brewed to taste skunked). 

When I go out with some of my beer snob friends that only drink 7+ percent IPA's, they all get trashed early.  When you are going out for a long day of drinking, sometimes it's best to throw back light beers.  One of my buddies started puking on his bar stool early one night.  It was kind of embarrassing.  Well not kind of.

There is a time and place for 7% beers and a time and place for a light beer.  Don't be a beer snob for all occasions.  :)

For the record, I do partake in IPA's.  But some of them taste like **** and skunky.

Edited by chipwhich
  • Like 1

When I go out with some of my beer snob friends that only drink 7+ percent IPA's, they all get trashed early.  When you are going out for a long day of drinking, sometimes it's best to throw back light beers.  One of my buddies started puking on his bar stool early one night.  It was kind of embarrassing.  Well not kind of.

There is a time and place for 7% beers and a time and place for a light beer.  Don't be a beer snob for all occasions.  :)

For the record, I do partake in IPA's.  But some of them taste like **** and skunky.

I don't think anyone in here is saying that light beer has no place.

I think most are saying that running ads making fun of people who actually care about the flavor of their drink is silly, and doing so while using terms like "beechwood aged" to promote your own beer is talking out of both sides of your mouth.

• Like 1

When I go out with some of my beer snob friends that only drink 7+ percent IPA's, they all get trashed early.  When you are going out for a long day of drinking, sometimes it's best to throw back light beers.  

Oh absolutely. Seems like the craft beer world is even trying to compensate with "All Day IPAs" or "Easy IPAs" -- Sours and Shandy styles are getting bigger this year as well. 

I always volunteer to pour at the Rocket City Brewfest. Fantastic event which allows me to get in free the following day. Saves $45. Anyways, my friend was pouring next to me this past year and she had two different citrus flavored IPAs. A group of guys walked up to her and asked what she had. She told them. The IPAs she had were only 4.5%. They laughed 'Only 4.5% for an IPA?, No'

I shook my head. They pay to get in to this festival and refuse to drink the beer over the percentage of alcohol.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

The craft brewing thing has hit epic proportions. We are in the golden age of brewing if you ask me.

Ashburn,VA. 's  oldoxbrewery has a great summertime beer to convert the swill drinkers : Alpha Ox. 

Funny you said that... just go this email lastnight... (i work for the distributor of old ox)

Hey, you're invited!

Come celebrate Old Ox Brewery's 1 year anniversary and enjoy some great beers and good fun.

Saturday July 11th, 2015 from 11am-7pm.

Last call will be held at 6pm.

There will be no admittance after 5:30pm.

Tix are available: http://bloxparty.brownpapertickets.com/

-Adult (21 years of age and drinker): $25 or $30 at the door

-Kids and non-drinker: $10

-No charge for children under 5...

* All attendees 21 years of age and over must present a valid photo I.D. at the entry gate in order to consume alcohol

Adult Admission Price Includes:

-5 beer tickets (1 ticket per 4oz. sample)

- Commemorative 22oz. bottle of our First Anniversary Year of the Ox- 2015 Imperial IPA (not available to Under 21 and Non-Drinker attendees)

-Games

-The opportunity to be among friends and have a great time

Non-drinker and kid tickets include everything except the beer tickets and commemorative 22oz bottle of beer.

Drinks:

- Old Ox Beers including Year of the Ox-2015 Imperial IPA

Food Trucks:

-Big Frank's BBQ

-Turkish Kabobs

Fun for Everyone:

-Cornhole

-Mechanical Ox

-Photobooth

-Dunk Tank

-Live music

Activities for Kids:

-Bouncy House

-Face Painting

-Games

Taking advantage of the Costco sell by the big bottle thing to try out a couple new bears. Right now American River Fire Break Red Ale. I like it. 

I work close to ARBC.  Have you tried their Coloma Brown? I like it a lot as well.  Also their Pumpkin Falls is pretty tasty once it is released late summer/fall.

Edited by NoCalMike

The whole beer snobbery thing has hit epic proportions.  It's kind of odd if you ask me.

Drink your beer and like it, stop worrying about what others drink.

I hate "trendy."  It seems like the word "craft" beer is very trendy right now.  Like the "Applewood Smoked Bacon" for a while, the "Apple" flavored anything in a drink and anything with "nator" on the end of it (like bacon-nator). 

Like someone else said, just drink what you like to drink.  Personally, I'm not into "flavored" beer.  The thought of pumpkin, apple or orange makes me want to puke and I'm not a picky eater or drinker.  I'd probably try them, but I don't think it's something I'd ask for when I go out. Sometimes a "regular ole beer" will due.

Did a bike ride Sunday that looped from Key Bridge, down the Mall, and up into Northeast then back. The route included stops at

-DC Brau - 3178-B Bladensburg Road NE

for a The Public Pale Ale

and

- Atlas Brew Works - 2052 West Virginia Avenue, NE -

for a Home Rule Pale Lager

At one point, we made a wrong turn and were temporarily lost.  As we stopped to check Google Maps, we looked up and found ourselves staring through a fence at this:

e91e029c69806956dc723421fb5d7b8d.jpg

Fate had brought us literally to the gates of a beer garden at

Bardo - 1200 - 1216 Bladensburg Road NE.  (I hadn't even realized they had moved out of Ballston.) We stopped in, and I had a Chuck Brown Ale as we watched the dogs frolic and admired the skull sculpture constructed from recycled beer cans.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1

I hate "trendy."  It seems like the word "craft" beer is very trendy right now.  Like the "Applewood Smoked Bacon" for a while, the "Apple" flavored anything in a drink and anything with "nator" on the end of it (like bacon-nator). 

Like someone else said, just drink what you like to drink.  Personally, I'm not into "flavored" beer.  The thought of pumpkin, apple or orange makes me want to puke and I'm not a picky eater or drinker.  I'd probably try them, but I don't think it's something I'd ask for when I go out. Sometimes a "regular ole beer" will due.

I think it also comes down to what you have come to identify as beer growing up and into adulthood.  When I was younger I was never much of a beer drinker because I didn't really like Bud/Coors/ etc etc....if that truly was what we had to choose from in general, I would probably rarely ever drink beer period.  When I first started drinking "craft" beer I enjoyed it because of the taste, of course some stuff was too much of a punch to my palate at the time but over the last decade my palate has changed and I have come to appreciate a large varieties of beer.

I have plenty of friends who I try to get to try stuff beyond the big names and they take a sip and swear it off forever. Oh well, more power to 'em.

• Like 1

I dont care what other people drink, I personally dont understand drinking a Coors, but more power to you. I dislike Bud, Coors, etc so Ill openly bash them because I find them gross, but I am not bashing someone who drinks them. Nothing to do with snobbery, any comments are just about my own perception and taste.

There are craft breweries that I do not like at all and will openly say it to those who do like them. Its the same thing, I feel like people who do like Bud and Coors maybe have gotten a little defensive about it and think anyone saying its bad beer is a snob. My taste buds not liking Bud is all there is to it, nothing else.

Side note, Avery Samael was released, picked up a couple of bottles and cant wait to open that up. Mephistopheles is always talked about, and hard to find, but I remember not liking it very much. Ill have to try it again if it gets released in my area again, I usually love big stouts. Pretty hard to go wrong with Avery.

couldn't ya just say water instead of corona light?

You know I thought the same thing until I tried corona light on draft once...

it tasted a whole hell of a lot better than miller lite or bud light ,it actually had some flavor lol

Edited by DButz65

never had it on draft, I just get mine from the hydrant. :)

I'm sure it has some redeeming qualities, though better than Bud Light ain't a high bar (my wife drinks that)

I've never tasted Corona though I've drunk several thousand I'm sure.  They always have too much lime. That's kinda the point.

Picked up a Shiner Family Reunion twelve pack the other day.  I'd never had anything but the bock, which I really like.  The Kozmo hopped up lager is tasty wish I could find it alone, the regular lager is good too.  The Ruby Red Grapefruit beer is like it sounds. If you like that sort of thing you might like it.  The pale ale was ok but kinda weak even for someone who is much more of a lager fan.