Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Bought some KCCO Black Lager last night (for any of you Chive fans). Was pretty good. Tasted more like a stout to me and I'm not a huge stout fan, but was a pretty light stout and had good flavor. Even my wife, who is a pretty picky beer drinker, thought it was good.

Yeah I've been using that.  It's unreliable, to say the least.  It lists Total Wines, but then you call and none of them have it.  Same with Whole Foods.  At least the ones near me.

I work at Vermont Information Processing. We make the software that most of the brewers and distributors use to track sales and inventory. The BeerFinder link posted is one of our products. I have actually setup BeerFinder for several distributors and handle most of the calls for that product. The data is based on what sales were made to a store in the last 60-90 days. It would be impossible to have a BeerFinder based on current stock without having contracts with every store buying product.   

If you really need to know where a certain beer is in stock (ie sold in the past week or so), I might be persuaded to dig into the raw data. 

I work at Vermont Information Processing. We make the software that most of the brewers and distributors use to track sales and inventory. The BeerFinder link posted is one of our products. I have actually setup BeerFinder for several distributors and handle most of the calls for that product. The data is based on what sales were made to a store in the last 60-90 days. It would be impossible to have a BeerFinder based on current stock without having contracts with every store buying product.   

If you really need to know where a certain beer is in stock (ie sold in the past week or so), I might be persuaded to dig into the raw data. 

Should I PM you? Because yes, I could use that info.  Thanks. 

Edited by Dan T.

Should I PM you? Because yes, I could use that info.  Thanks. 

Sure, send me a PM with the info. Please include the beer and brewer too if you know it. Also send me which city/state you will be buying the beer in. If you happen to know the distributor in your area for that product, it would make my search much quicker. I'll dig into the data this afternoon or tonight when I get some free time.

My dad introduced me to Hooligan's Scotch Ale, its from a microbrewery Catawba Brewing Co. based in Asheville/Morganton, NC.  Very good, 8.0% ABV.

I just checked out their website for the first time and they look like they have some tasty beers, but a lot are available in keg only, which sucks.

http://www.catawbavalleybrewingcompany.com/beers

Sure, send me a PM with the info. Please include the beer and brewer too if you know it. Also send me which city/state you will be buying the beer in. If you happen to know the distributor in your area for that product, it would make my search much quicker. I'll dig into the data this afternoon or tonight when I get some free time.ly

If he is in northern va, it is only 3 distributors, maybe 4.. Premium distributors of va who I work for... hope n wine,  or virginia eagle (formally guiffre)

Also we use http://www.beerline.com .. we are the largest distributor in va with 69-70% of the market out there

Edited by DButz65

If he is in northern va, it is only 3 distributors, maybe 4.. Premium distributors of va who I work for... hope n wine,  or virginia eagle (formally guiffre)

Also we use http://www.beerline.com .. we are the largest distributor in va with 69-70% of the market out there

It is nice to meet a colleague. Yes it was Premium Distributors of VA, your company, that delivers this for his area. I am very familiar with your company. I setup the corporate iDIG and BeerFinder for the entire Reyes Group.  I used to work frequently with D. Orman before he retired. Now I work mostly with M. Osborn. You folks have your own BeerFinder that I setup, which is a full day ahead of the supplier BeerFinder. But I couldn't give him the link because I only have the link from our server, not one from your website.

I haven't even thought about getting the Easy IPA.  A light IPA?  Afraid I'd run right through it.  Let us know how those beers are.

Dead Rise is not my thing. I love FD and I love Old Bay, but it didn't do it for me. Granted, the flavor profile is not to my liking as a whole (Beers like Blue Moon make me gag and this was like Blue Moon with salt)

FD Easy IPA was delicious and easy to pass off on my friends whom would otherwise drink Miller Lite. Enough IPA flavor for craft beer drinkers and enough of a mouthfeel to prevent it from feeling thin or watery. If you love to crank through IPA's though, you may feel a little wanting. 

It is nice to meet a colleague. Yes it was Premium Distributors of VA, your company, that delivers this for his area. I am very familiar with your company. I setup the corporate iDIG and BeerFinder for the entire Reyes Group.  I used to work frequently with D. Orman before he retired. Now I work mostly with M. Osborn. You folks have your own BeerFinder that I setup, which is a full day ahead of the supplier BeerFinder. But I couldn't give him the link because I only have the link from our server, not one froom your website.

Cool deal... I dont know any of those people... have probably got a few company wide emails from them at some point but they didnt

pertain to me so I deleted them haha Im a draft tech so really dont know every little detail about the retail side of things.

All i use is mcomet/comet tracker to keep track of my hours, and which accounts I have visited and are mine

Edited by DButz65

Was able to find some Flying Dog Mint Chocolate Stout over the weekend. Better than I expected. You can definitely smell the mint chocolate flavor when you open the bottle. Nice chocolate taste with a hint of mint. Definitely would recommend giving it a chance if you can find it.

Normally I don't like IPA's but after having HopSlam, a seasonal one, I have found that there is a rare type that has just the right type of bitterness that I actually like. Most IPAs I hate but a few I do enjoy.

Recently was given a Lagunitas IPA by accident by the bartender. It was great, reminds me of HopSlam, so I am a fan. 

Normally I don't like IPA's but after having HopSlam, a seasonal one, I have found that there is a rare type that has just the right type of bitterness that I actually like. Most IPAs I hate but a few I do enjoy.

Recently was given a Lagunitas IPA by accident by the bartender. It was great, reminds me of HopSlam, so I am a fan. 

I'm not a huge IPA fan, but I just cracked open a Catawba Valley Firewater IPA and its pretty good man.  I'd recommend it.  They only come in cans or kegs for some reason.  But none the less, great taste, some bitterness in aftertaste, but nothing crazy.  

• Like 1

Was able to snag some Flying Dog Bloodline last night. The store I went to had literally just gotten it in and hadn't even put it into their system yet. It's a Blood Orange Ale at 7%. It's not bad, not as orangey as I was hoping, but certainly drinkable. I got a hint of orange in the after taste, but nothing over powering. It's a nice summer sipping beer.

I love IPAs.

Not in that "I don't know anything about beer but IPAs are trendy so I'll order whatever IPA is on tap" kind of way.  I just genuinely love that strong, bitter taste once I get used to it.  Black coffee, grapefruit, strong pale ales...if you can't taste your food five hours later, what was the point? :P

But not brussels sprouts.  **** brussels sprouts.

• Like 1

I love IPAs.

Not in that "I don't know anything about beer but IPAs are trendy so I'll order whatever IPA is on tap" kind of way.  I just genuinely love that strong, bitter taste once I get used to it.  Black coffee, grapefruit, strong pale ales...if you can't taste your food five hours later, what was the point? :P

But not brussels sprouts.  **** brussels sprouts.

I'm hit or miss on IPAs. I'm not a fan over the overly hoppy ones. I can deal with some hoppiness, but there are some IPAs that are a little over the top. I definitely prefer Ales over IPAs.