Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Palo Santo Marron, my absolute favorite cold weather beer. Four pack was (heads up) $16.59. Tall order, but drinking this after being in frigid temps is bad ass. Use it to chase bourbon and your man card gets a thumbs up printed on the corner of it.

I tried Heavy Seas Gold over the weekend. Really good ale. Haven't seen it before, definitely worth the try.

Had that for the playoff clincher last year. It's very good for the style of beer, but it's a fast drinker for $11....so I don't see myself getting it for anything but bigtime Redskins games. Which means I won't be getting it for at least 3 more years.

• Like 2

12 pack of Newcastle got me through the weekend. Stuff is like nicotine to me. I blame my British heritage. In fact, I blame loving beer on being from English and German descent. Newcaste is in a clear bottle, but it's still a really amazing swigging beer. Love it out of the bottle.

Had a Palo Santo Marron left as well, very relaxing weekend.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Dogfish Head Namaste bomber.

Key is to let this settle for a minute after pouring. Carbonation is ridiculous, it's like mixing baking soda and vinegar if you don't let it settle.

Flavor is light. Actual lemon and orange flavors, not a citrus hop deal here. Yeast and coriander backdrop, pretty cool sipper, and 5% ABV. Go through a bottle no problem.

Dogfish Head Namaste bomber.

Key is to let this settle for a minute after pouring. Carbonation is ridiculous, it's like mixing baking soda and vinegar if you don't let it settle.

Flavor is light. Actual lemon and orange flavors, not a citrus hop deal here. Yeast and coriander backdrop, pretty cool sipper, and 5% ABV. Go through a bottle no problem.

Thanks for that review. I almost grabbed a sixer of it but, after reading this, I'm glad that I didn't. I can't stand overly(sp?)carbonated beers.

Thanks for that review. I almost grabbed a sixer of it but, after reading this, I'm glad that I didn't. I can't stand overly(sp?)carbonated beers.

Taking a little sip right after the pour, or drinking it straight from the bottle, you risk bubbles overflowing out of the ole pie hole. Letting it settle for a minute DOES work, carbo relaxes. It's just not that great of a beer. $10 for a bomber is too much.

For the storm I got snowed in with Sam Adams Imperial Stout and Tetley's English Ale. Had a 4 year old Sam Adams Imperial Stout. Turned it milky, and the dark fruits were very enhanced. Wasn't all that special, was a little disappointed after aging it for that long. Still very good, like its fresh counterpart.

6 pack of Warsteiner Premium Verum

6 pack of Negra Modelo

I've never had either of these beers, and ever since I started seeking out new ones to try, I've passed up on the Negra Modelo. It's always been there, but I guess it's so commonplace of a beer that I figured it was a basic dark lager. Now that I'm running out of beers to try at my local stores, I snatched it up.

Negra Modelo is a lightly toasted, nutty, fruity caramel. Tobacco overtone, medium/light body, low carbonation. Wayyyy more complex than I anticipated.

Warsteiner Premium Verum is heavy on the German malts, think an extra strength Heineken. I like it.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Beer Companies Love to Brag About How Cold Their Beer Is. But It’s All Meaningless Posturing.

This Sunday, Super Bowl viewers will bear witness to four minutes of Budweiser and Bud Light commercials. The New York Times business section has framed the Anheuser-Busch ad agenda as “back to basics,” but reports that “the company still has an ambitious agenda,” including a spot for “a new reclosable aluminum package called the Cool Twist bottle.” A 15-second commercial released last month describes the Cool Twist bottle as “colder than cold,” which is back to basics indeed—bragging about coldness is one of the most beloved tropes of beer-commercial copywriting.

“Frost-brewing” and “cold-filtering” are both fairly meaningless terms, the kind of obfuscation embodied by Lucky Strike’s famous tagline “It’s toasted!” (Which was not created by Don Draper, by the way; it’s been around since 1917.) All lagers are conditioned at near-freezing temperatures, and cold filtering is a popular alternative to pasteurization, because it’s faster and cheaper. Beer is always made from liquid that’s been boiled with hops, so it’s not as though these beers are kept at low temperatures from beginning to end—if they were, they’d taste even more like water than they already do.

How cold a beer is has nothing to do with how it’s brewed and packaged and everything to do with whether and how long the consumer refrigerates it before drinking it. No thinking person would ever claim to like Beer Brand A more than Beer Brand B because Beer Brand A is colder.

Plus, heavily emphasizing that Bud Light, for instance, is “colder than cold” encourages people to chill their beer as thoroughly as possible, which reduces the likelihood that they’ll ever find out just how bad Bud Light really tastes.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

Plus, heavily emphasizing that Bud Light, for instance, is “colder than cold” encourages people to chill their beer as thoroughly as possible, which reduces the likelihood that they’ll ever find out just how bad Bud Light really tastes.

Click on the link for the full article

This is the real driver behind all the "cold" advertising. There are some beers that are traditionally served cold in other places, but not to the extent that it happes here.

Plus, if you are a craft beer drinker you should notice that a lot of stouts and porters actually have different flavor profiles as they get to room temperature.

For IPA's I do prefer them cold, but a lot of the sweet stouts like chocolate or espresso or vanilla, letting it warm up a few degrees by sitting out actually gives it a more diverse taste, IMO.

Picked up my first 12 pack of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA of the year at Wegmans today. Got real excited when I saw it- love this brew. Easily my favorite from Sierra Nevada.

almost picked up some more of that 15 minutes ago. love it. 

got a sixer of rampant imperial IPA instead cuz i dont think i've had it before. i think i like it much more than their regular IPA

In the past, I have loved the "Ruthless Rye" from SN but this year it wasn't noteworthy. Maybe it's my everchanging beer palate. Regardless, Bigfoot is the best from SN. I can't wait 'til that beast gets unleashed.

Tried the "Old Rasputin Stout" with my grilled steak tonight and was blown away. Best stout ever!

• 2 weeks later...