Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Kurt Warner a Hall-of-Famer?

Dan T.

At first, I kind of laughed at the question.

But dam- if you look at his career and stats, there's a damn good case. Sheesh, i dunno.

His biggest problem is playing for the two biggest loser franchises of all time with the weakest fan bases, Rams and Cards.

I actually mentioned him in a HOF thread here prior to this season as a guy who had a shot but was firmly on the outside looking in with not too much time left to improve his case. With that being said, he's surely do everything he can to do just that with how's performed to date this year.

The one thing Warner has in his favor is the positional bias towards QBs, which would make it significantly easier for him to get in than a comparable player at another position like S or TE, for example. And if he indeed does win another MVP, his case becomes that much stronger as I think it would be rare if not non-existent that a 3+ time league MVP, let alone a 2 time MVP, didn't make the HOF.

With that being said, I don't know if just having a great year this year (no matter how good it is) should be enough to get him in. He's played in an era where passing stats have become ridiculously inflated with defensive rules changes and whatnot so that has to be considered for him and every other QB in the past 10 years. But it'll certainly be an interesting case if he does indeed win the MVP and perhaps a playoff game(s) this year.

No way. A few good years and some garbage yards does not make a HOFer. He would be the worst HOF QB in there... Plenty of QBs have a few stellar years and then become second-rate. How many of you would have wanted him as our starting QB during the offseason? Very few, I'm sure. He hasn't been relevant for a while now, and just because he's going well now doesn't mean he has been over the past 5 years.

No way. A few good years and some garbage yards does not make a HOFer. He would be the worst HOF QB in there... Plenty of QBs have a few stellar years and then become second-rate. How many of you would have wanted him as our starting QB during the offseason? Very few, I'm sure. He hasn't been relevant for a while now, and just because he's going well now doesn't mean he has been over the past 5 years.

jim kelly is a mediocre QB and he is in.

The stats they were throwing at me during MNF made me believe that he sure could be.

You have to take that with a grain of salt, though, don't you? I mean, Tony Kornheiser is such a sycophant for whoever happens to be playing on any given Monday night that you have to discount at least some of that as spin, dont'cha think? (That was my really bad Kornheiser impression.) Wouldn't you agree, Jaws? Blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc...ad nauseum.

He's a system QB. He plays well when he has two or more receivers that are potential HOF'ers and looks like garbage otherwise.

I wouldn't go quite so far as garbage, but it does show when he has stellar receivers to throw to, something NYG has had a dearth of over the years. Then again, what QB does THAT not apply to?

If Kurt Warner had similar passing numbers but had actually played more complete seasons I could easily see some of the people voting "no" changing their opinion. The man has wracked up 26,000 passing yards with only 94 starts, which extrapolates to about 285 ypg passing.

That is just crazy. It amounts to approximately 4500 yards on average per season if he actually manages to start every game in a season with that average. Kurt's biggest knock is just that his career has been somewhat unconventional and his opportunities have been broken up by injuries and the emergence of two other good QBs (Marc Bulger and Eli Manning).

When I thought he was a washed up back up with the Giants and Cards I would have said no way. His time in St. Louis was too short (no matter how good he was) to even deserve a mention for the HOF.

But if he can sustain his play for the next few years in Arizona and get them to be a solid playoff team, then I do think he deserves some consideration. But it's still not a slam dunk.

I think he's got a shot. Like the above poster said, they showed some good stuff during the MNF game.

It's not his fault his career got off to a late start...I dont think it should be held against him.

I agree with you here. I think once the Cards make the paloffs this year and if he starts more than 13 games and throws for more than 20+ TDs next year, he's in.

Yes, he is a hall of famer.

Did you see the stat they put up last night? 46% of his games are 300 yard performances. That's crazy. It's like 20% higher then Fouts that is in 2nd place.

2 time MVP, 1 Superbowl MVP, could get his 3rd this year.

And perhaps one of the most underrated stats, he's going to give the Arizona Cardinals a division title. I mean come'on man.

I agree. I think his story alone is HOF material.

Warner is a great story and the fact that he's got these monster stats this year is pretty effing impressive. Even if he does have the best WR combo in the league. I wouldn't hesitate to put him in the HOF at this point.

On a related note:

You know, if the Redskins don't make it, I would love for the Cards to get to the SB. Even tho they have a bunch of douche players on defense, I still think it would be amazing for the league if one of these perennial losers would make it.

Archived