Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Kurt Warner a Hall-of-Famer?

Dan T.

I think he enters the discussion this season.

We'll see how it pans out but he might get in even without winning the SB this year, although we have some time to talk about it because he might play for another year which means we won't find out for 5+ years.

If Warner had been a top 5 draft pick, and had the same career, he'd be in the Hall for sure.

He has had every bit the career that Aikman, Steve Young, and Jim Kelly had. But he's not the high pick golden boy...

I think just the opposite might be true. His rags-to-riches backstory - grocery store worker turned Arena League player turned NFL star - is the kind of romantic tale sportwriters love, and might actually help his chances of getting into the Hall. All else being equal, that sets him apart in the voters' minds.

The HOF criteria mixes me up sometimes. I mean Aikman is in the HOF off of his teams' success. But his #'s to me are shaky. Aikman passed for under 60% 6 of his 11 years. His TD to INT ratio are very average at best. He's only passed for 20td's once in his career. People label him as one of the most accurate QB's of all-time but thats kinda skewed. I mean you can complete 60% of your passes and still throw int's. He had 4 years in which he threw more int's than td's. This guy was 1st ballot HOF'er.

Kurt Warner's #'s are better than Aikman's especially when you take into account td to int's.

The HOF criteria mixes me up sometimes. I mean Aikman is in the HOF off of his teams' success. But his #'s to me are shaky. Aikman passed for under 60% 6 of his 11 years. His TD to INT ratio are very average at best. He's only passed for 20td's once in his career. People label him as one of the most accurate QB's of all-time but thats kinda skewed. I mean you can complete 60% of your passes and still throw int's. He had 4 years in which he threw more int's than td's. This guy was 1st ballot HOF'er.

Kurt Warner's #'s are better than Aikman's especially when you take into account td to int's.

Agreed- If Aikman is used as a benchmark for a first ballot HOF then Warner should get the nod

He's that QB that people bring in to mentor their young QB, then when he starts doing good and breaks out. They say "Well mr old guy, we're going to let the young guy come in now." And they send him packing. Won a SB in St Louis, was canned for Bulger. Did alright, not stellar, in New York, was canned for Manning. Was brought in to Mentor Leinhart, and has stolen the job back and look where he is once again. The Super Bowl. He's a good QB that was just "too old" in too many places. I'm glad it's him and not Leinhart that got the Cards in the Super Bowl.

Warner has only what 4 or 5 full seasons where was the full-time starter? Regardless of the superbowl; he needs to play 2 or 3 more full seasons as a starter at the same level.

Steve Young played at least 7 or 8 full seasons in the NFL.

If Warner was the fulltime starter his entire career then he would be a lock but right now, not enough years.

Short duration and high percenate when it comes to stats will not get you in the HOF. To be in the HOF, you need to be productive at a high rate for an extended period of time. Warner simply has not done that due to the times that he has not been a starter in this league.

Uh, so then how do you explain Steve Young being a first ballot HOF'er?

Young had arguably the greatest WR in history to throw to (and had a poor year when Rice went down with injury), spent a good part of his career floundering with the Bucs, only went to one SB, and did it with a team that had already won 4 before he got there.

Warner has only what 4 or 5 full seasons where was the full-time starter? Regardless of the superbowl; he needs to play 2 or 3 more full seasons as a starter at the same level.

Steve Young played at least 7 or 8 full seasons in the NFL.

If Warner was the fulltime starter his entire career then he would be a lock but right now, not enough years.

Uh, so then how do you explain Steve Young being a first ballot HOF'er?

Young had arguably the greatest WR in history to throw to (and had a poor year when Rice went down with injury), spent a good part of his career floundering with the Bucs, only went to one SB, and did it with a team that had already won 4 before he got there.

Another example is Joe Namath. He played 13 seasons (12 with the Jets). In 11 of those 13 seasons, he threw for more interceptions than touchdowns. Four of those seasons he played 6 games or less. He never had a quarterback rating above 75.

He got in on star-power, being Broadway Joe, playing in New York City at the dawn of the AFL's rise to equality with the NFL. That, and because of one season, his third year in the league, 1967, when he put up huge numbers, brashly guaranteed a Super Bowl win, and backed it up. But he never matched that season again.

Link

Kurt Warner Last Player Remaining From 1947 Cardinals

NIB-Warner-R.article_large.jpg

January 22, 2009 | | Onion Sports

GLENDALE, AZ—Following a remarkable performance in his team's victory over the Philadelphia Eagles last Sunday, Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner, the last remaining member of the Cardinals' 1947 championship team, took a moment to reflect on his long NFL career. "Marshall Goldberg, Babe Dimancheff, and Elmer Angsman—they were a great group of guys who would have loved to have been a part of this," Warner told reporters, adding, "You know, they didn't call it the Super Bowl back then. I mean no disrespect to this Cardinal team, or the one I led to the championship in 1925, but there was something special about that '47 squad." Though Warner said he has fallen out of touch with many of his former teammates, he still keeps in contact with 149-year-old Walter Camp, head coach of the Yale Bulldog team Warner led to a national championship in 1888. terminator.gif

I just heard 2 more interesting stats on Warner.

Only the second QB to lead 2 different teams to the SB

He is 1 of 10 QB's to play in the SB 3 times.

8 of them are in the hall. The other is tom brady

Craig Morton was the first to lead two teams to the SB. Btw, he's not in the Hall of Fame. And, in my opinion, Warner won't be either if he doesn't win on Sunday. I say that, because I don't think he has the numbers to get in, at the moment. And its being reported that this could be his last year, as he's in the last year of his current contract.

He just doesn't have enough years as a starting qb. But beating the Steelers would probably do the trick. He would probably get in. If not, if he came back for at least another year, he could pad his numbers and it would likely be enough to get him in.

With that said, I hope the guy wins on Sunday. And I hope he gets in. I've always liked the guy. You could definitely make a movie about the guy's life. He's truly an inspiration. A class act.

Archived