Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Kurt Warner a Hall-of-Famer?

Dan T.

I never thought of Kurt Warner as Hall of Fame material. I felt he has carved out a pretty stellar NFL career, but Hall of Famer? Nah.

But after a look at his numbers and bio, I'm giving that some second thought. He's a 2-time league MVP, and a Super Bowl MVP. He's the second most accurate passer in NFL history, (next to Chad Pennington!?), and is second in career passing behind Steve Young with a 94.2 rating. He's a 3-time Pro Bowler. His debut season in 1999 with the Rams, after sitting on the bench in '98, was one of the top single seasons in history - 4,353 yards with 41 touchdown passes, a completion rate of 65.1%, and a passer rating of 109.2. His 2001 season was almost as good, with 4,830 yards (2nd highest single season in history behind Dan Marino) and 36 TDs and a 101.4 passer rating.

He tailed off some with the Giants, but has been rejuvenated in Arizona. His 2007 numbers with the Cards - 3,417 yards, 27 TDs, 62.3 pct., 89.8 passer rating.

So here's the question - is Kurt Warner a Hall of Famer? If not now, what will he have to do the rest of his career to be considered Hall of Fame worthy?

Not at all. He's a solid career QB and that's all. I think it would be possible had he been playng since around 1994-95 and racked up bigger numbers.

As far as what he'd have to do. I'd say another league MVP, another super bowl and if he can stay around long enough to throw around 250 TD passes. Then he'd have a shot. He already has around 170 TD passes so 250 is possible if he stays healthy and productive for 3-4 more years after this one. If you're the Cards you've got to keep this guy around as long as he produces.

Overall, though, how could you not like the guy?

He's a two-year wonder in my mind. Very solid QB these days, to be sure, but he's never been able to match '99 and '01. It takes more than two superb seasons to reach the HOF.

He's actually on his way to his 5th 20 TD pass season. Has a career rating of 94 and closing in on 30,000 passing yards. Martz ruined him for years in St Louis and was used primarily in NY and AZ as a journeyman filler until their franchise guys were ready, but AZ can't keep him off of the field.

I agree with you though. If he keeps up this season what he's doing and can throw on a few more seasons like this one then he'll be close.

My answer would be not yet. But he's been reborn in Arizona, has some amazing weapons at his disposal in Fitzgerald, Boldin, and, to a lesser extent, Breeston, that will allow him to rack up more big numbers, and that franchise seems to be headed in the right direction. So he's got a shot.

OK, here's a caveat; if he can get the Cards to the playoffs in each of his remaining seasons and keep a 90-ish QB rating in the process, I could see him being a real contender. Did Montana's two years with the Chiefs damage his legacy? Certainly not. If Warner could somehow prove that he's as good as he ever was, those seasons with the Giants could easily be written off as a minor blemish on an otherwise stellar career.

However, that is a tall order for a 37 year-old.

The Cards seem in no hurry at ALL to ease Matt Leinhart back into the starter's role, so as long as Warner produces he'll be the guy. Bacon, I think you're right - he needs 3 stellar years, with playoff appearances, to be considered.

Given the fairy tale beginning to his career - from bagging groceries to NFL MVP - a fairy tale ending like that would make nice bookends to his career.

I dunno...in between 2002-2007 Warner's record as a starter is 13-28...six seasons is a long time to go without really doing anything of worth. In fact I think it may be more than half of his career (or perhaps exactly half).

In reality, there will probably be just enough other players that are more worthy up for nomination when he's eligible to keep Warner on the outside for awhile...

I'm gonna say no. However I love the guy and hope the best for him when he isnt playing Washington. Loved his story back in the late 90's and to see him get a 2nd shot at being on a good team and performing at a high level is something that screams of a movie being made of in a few years. But I think he is on the outside looking in.

All that being said if he did make it in, I'd be really happy about it.

He is the MVP of this nfl season so far.

I think he is a HOF'er.

It's funny, but two weeks ago everyone thought Brees was easily the MVP of this season, and that Portis and Haynesworth were the only players who could be considered a possible MVP candidates as well. Now, Warner is the MVP of the season so far. Two weeks from now, we'll be saying it's Portis again lol...or Adrian Peterson will make the Vikings catch fire, and he'll be the MVP.

It's funny, but two weeks ago everyone thought Brees was easily the MVP of this season, and that Portis and Haynesworth were the only players who could be considered a possible MVP candidates as well. Now, Warner is the MVP of the season so far. Two weeks from now, we'll be saying it's Portis again lol...or Adrian Peterson will make the Vikings catch fire, and he'll be the MVP.

this is true... I still think Warner is the MVP of this season up to this point.

What is funny is that I was going to start this same thread 2 weeks ago. :)

Yes, he is a hall of famer.

Did you see the stat they put up last night? 46% of his games are 300 yard performances. That's crazy. It's like 20% higher then Fouts that is in 2nd place.

2 time MVP, 1 Superbowl MVP, could get his 3rd this year.

And perhaps one of the most underrated stats, he's going to give the Arizona Cardinals a division title. I mean come'on man.

I think he falls short stat wise unless he keeps up this pace for another 3 or 4 years.

I agree...I think the only stats right now that merit consideration are 1) the one that keeps getting mentioned here lol...and 2) his career passer rating.

Unfortunately Warner has too many consecutive years of being average-to-mediocre in his career...HOF quarterbacks tend to show a consistency through the years that Warner is missing.

I agree...I think the only stats right now that merit consideration are 1) the one that keeps getting mentioned here lol...and 2) his career passer rating.

Unfortunately Warner has too many consecutive years of being average-to-mediocre in his career...HOF quarterbacks tend to show a consistency through the years that Warner is missing.

just to stir the pot and debate with you for a second; dont you think that Marino had a case of underachieving each and every year?

he would throw all those numbers up during the regular season and then choke in the playoffs. he is a HOF'er though.

Archived