Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Neighbor Got a Pit Bull - What Do I Do?

robotfire

Hello, everybody. My neighbor got a pit bull. as of now, both of our back yards are connected together. His other dog has never respected the property line between our houses, so I expect this dog to have the same mindset. I have two little girls (one and three years old), and I am very worried about their safety. What are my options? What can I do to protect them?

UPDATE:

I have now talked twice in detail with the neighbor about this situation. Both times, I made it clear that I intended to contact his landlord about getting a fence. The first time, he reacted as though I was trying to get him in trouble. He then pointed to every neighbor in the area EXCEPT me, saying that they have all been getting him in trouble for his garbage and car business that he is running in his back yard. I explained to him that I'm a father first and a neighbor second. I just want my kids to be protected. Both times, he insisted that if I told the owner about the pit bull, he would have to move. Both times, I was happy to hear it.

Specifically, on the second visit, I took the children over to see the pit bull. It is just a puppy right now, but even so, I held both girls in my arms the whole time. He seemed to appreciate the effort I was going through, but he seems oblivious to the type of dog he has. He insisted that the dog wasn't dangerous. Although the dog may be safe at the age of 6 weeks, Hitler was probably a sweetheart at that age, too.

There is nothing he can say or do to convince me that it isn't a dangerous animal. He has no fence, and I see the dog without a leash out of my back window. I've talked to too many people who have confirmed it. I've talked to a few friends who have been attacked by these dogs themselves. This message board is littered with people who know how dangerous the dog is, and as of now there are seven posters who have personally been attacked.

As of now, I'm having trouble contacting the landlord. I intend to keep trying until my fingers fall off from dialing, and then I will use my toes.

I have never met a dog that was born mean. dogs are trained or thru their enviornment become mean. I live in San Diego and pit bulls are a dime a dozen out here. Most of them look like they would eat your face and ask for seconds but as soon as you get near them they start wagging their tails and just want to be loved like a lab/sheppard/etc dog would.

Hello, everybody. My neighbor got a pit bull. as of now, both of our back yards are connected together. His other dog has never respected the property line between our houses, so I expect this dog to have the same mindset. I have two little girls (one and three years old), and I am very worried about their safety. What are my options? What can I do to protect them?

How does a dog respect a property line or not respect it?

I have two kids that are the same age as yours. There is no way that I would ever let my kids out to play with a Pit Bull next door unless there was a tall fence! My neighbors on both sides have dogs....big dogs. But we also have fences between the yards. Even then one of my neighbors has a tendency to let her dog escape the yard. The only thing that you can do is look before you go outside and be very careful.

But, I wouldn't have any peace until there was a fence. I don't care how nice the dog is.

I have never met a dog that was born mean. dogs are trained or thru their enviornment become mean. I live in San Diego and pit bulls are a dime a dozen out here. Most of them look like they would eat your face and ask for seconds but as soon as you get near them they start wagging their tails and just want to be loved like a lab/sheppard/etc dog would.

I fell for the wagging tail syndrome as a kid its definatly not true

Obviously, they don't. My point is the neighbor makes no effort to prevent the dog from coming into my yard.

Does your city have leash laws?

If so, if the dog is out, and roaming, it can be picked up.

Or, get a fence between the properties,

Even with OUT the dogs, your children are so young, having a fence around your yard maybe safe for them.

I have two kids that are the same age as yours. There is no way that I would ever let my kids out to play with a Pit Bull next door unless there was a tall fence! My neighbors on both sides have dogs....big dogs. But we also have fences between the yards. Even then one of my neighbors has a tendency to let her dog escape the yard. The only thing that you can do is look before you go outside and be very careful.

But, I wouldn't have any peace until there was a fence. I don't care how nice the dog is.

I understand that pit bulls can be nice. I've met nice ones. However, my neighbor is far too lazy to raise this pit bull correctly. In the interest of my children, I think I honestly have no choice but to get fencing. The guy is INCREDIBLY irresponsible. I can't trust him to keep that dog on his own property.

Archived