Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Neighbor Got a Pit Bull - What Do I Do?

robotfire

For a one year old and a three year old?

Please tell me you're joking.

And ftr, nowhere did I advocate building a 3 foot fence or chicken wire.

No ,I am not joking...IF he cannot prevent the neighbor from getting the dog,socializing (with supervision)with it as a puppy is critical...and might prevent a attack....naturally teaching a 1 and 3 yr old what to watch out for is less realistic;)

The fence remark was in response to the OP remark about putting up a 3 ft chickenwire fence...sorry If I was not clear.:2cents:

I would never own a pitt,but I have had Chows and a Rott with children and infants with no problems

I would never own a pitt,but I have had Chows and a Rott with children and infants with no problems

I don't doubt that a bit. You seem to be a very rational, responsible, individual.

Not at all like the description of the op's neighbor.

(I also saw no indication that the dog being discussed was a puppy, but I might have missed that.)

Teaching your children how to treat a dog is just as important as teaching the dog how to act towards children.

Very much so...many attacks (not all)are the result of provoking natural instincts in the dogs or cruelty.

A specific example is you should never allow kids to fight or roughhouse in front of a Chow or Rott(and many other breeds) as it triggers their protective instincts.

I would never allow kids (other than my own) unsupervised around them or any dog(even the toy breeds)

You might be surprised how a Chow would fare also ,but it ain't a pretty sight.

Not a fan of government intrusion,but I think permits(with required training) for certain breeds might be a good idea.

certainly better than eliminating a breed.

I would have no problem with this, along with having fencing requirements. I am generally against muzzle requirement since most of the problems occure in situations in which a muzzling law would not be in effects anyways or with dogs allowed to roam. I do carry a soft-muzzle in my back pocket when in public with my pit - not because of her, but for other people's peace of mind.

I have often thought about tying penalties for dog violations (ex: allowing your dog to roam after x number of warnings) to the owner's drivers license and applying points. Maybe risking their license might wake some of the idiots up.

Here in Texas we have Lillian's Law, which I support and just recently a couple was convicted under it for the first time (life threatening/fatal dog attacks are an automatic felony with 2 or 3 exclusions). It really needed to get more coverage than it did. The number of dog owners I have talked with that knew nothing about it was kinda pathetic.

I would like to see stronger penalties for dogs that attack other animals if the other animal is on their own property or under their owner's control (victim dog is being walked for example).

And no matter what, we have to increase the number of AC officers across the board and give them better training. It does no good to report stray dogs causing problems when there is a 12 hour backlog on calls, and it is not uncommon to discover that the dog that just put someone in the hospital had a history of causing problems, but reports to local AC were filed and forgotten even in areas where pits/rotties/dobermans/huskies/etc. are restricted.

Certain breeds, including the pit bull breeds, need to have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to biting humans. Biting humans is a sign of major issues with pit bulls since it is contrary to, for lack of a better phrase, the breeds' standard of behavior. These dogs, specifically Staffy Bulls and APBTs, were nicknamed "Nanny Dogs" for a reason, and to be aggressive towards people in any manner unless extremely provoked is a major warning sign.

Honestly, I would be cautious. And not because of the dog, because of the owner. I have owned a number of different dogs. Mastiff, Doberman and now a Rottweiler. My cousin is 15 months and played with my Rott all morning, Rott did nothing but lick his face and allow him to play with her ears. She is a good dog because she was trained well.

Nevertheless the reason I say to take extra caution is because a powerful dog owned by an irresponsible owner is a recipe for disaster. About a year ago my neighbor (sounds like yours) had a party. A lady from the neighborhood bent over to pet his pit bull. The dog suddenly jumped up and bit her face. Unprovoked and no warning sign - at all (I volunteer at a dog park so I know what to look for). I have seen a number of dogs maimed at the dog park by pit bull. A woman in my county was even killed by a pit bull wandering the streets a few years ago. The owner of the dog was prosecuted. Again, it is not the dog's fault. The dog is only doing what it was trained (or not trained) to do (proper human and dog socialization, respect of humans, subservience, ect).

There are a few questions that might alleviate the likelihood of an attack. Is the dog male? Is it neutered? Is it chained? If that dog is male, un-neutered and chained while not being properly trained and socialized, I'd build a 10' steel wall because that will be a vicious animal.

We're talking about your children here. I don't think being overly cautious and protective is unwarranted.

To Capt. Rich. I understand the reason for what you said and it is well founded. Nevertheless what you said is childish and irresponsible. Dogs are like guns. Their actions are entirely dependent upon the owner.

With ALL "problem dogs" 98% of the problem is the owner. Capt. rich what I was getting at was where do you draw that line. dobys? Akitas? (which are both waaay more dangerous than pits) Labs? Mastiffs? I was making a broad generalization of the flawed logic you were using. The bigger the dogs that attacks is the more damage it can cause Im sure if we all had a choice we would rather be attacked by a tea-cup chihuahua than a pit, or akita or even a lab. So again where is the line drawn as to what you perceive to be a dangerous dog that you believe should be exterminated across the board?

for the record the Obama remark was so not cool. That guy is going to screw our country 8 ways from sunday.

I understand everyones tension about my posts, but if you own a pit you know what it is capable of.
The thing is, we had a lot of dogs growing up. We had one dog that we treated great like the others, but this dog bit. It was agressive, and it attacked a visitor in the face. We had to give it up to a shelter (according to my parents, who probably really killed it).

If you're buying a dog that you KNOW has agressive genes, you're endangering yourself and everybody around you. I 100% agree with you - I don't care what people say. We were nothing but nice to that dog, but it was still agressive. It was a natural fighter.

Honestly, I would be cautious. And not because of the dog, because of the owner. I have owned a number of different dogs. Mastiff, Doberman and now a Rottweiler. My cousin is 15 months and played with my Rott all morning, Rott did nothing but lick his face and allow him to play with her ears. She is a good dog because she was trained well.

Nevertheless the reason I say to take extra caution is because a powerful dog owned by an irresponsible owner is a recipe for disaster. About a year ago my neighbor (sounds like yours) had a party. A lady from the neighborhood bent over to pet his pit bull. The dog suddenly jumped up and bit her face. Unprovoked and no warning sign - at all (I volunteer at a dog park so I know what to look for). I have seen a number of dogs maimed at the dog park by pit bull. A woman in my county was even killed by a pit bull wandering the streets a few years ago. The owner of the dog was prosecuted. Again, it is not the dog's fault. The dog is only doing what it was trained (or not trained) to do (proper human and dog socialization, respect of humans, subservience, ect).

There are a few questions that might alleviate the likelihood of an attack. Is the dog male? Is it neutered? Is it chained? If that dog is male, un-neutered and chained while not being properly trained and socialized, I'd build a 10' steel wall because that will be a vicious animal.

We're talking about your children here. I don't think being overly cautious and protective is unwarranted.

To Capt. Rich. I understand the reason for what you said and it is well founded. Nevertheless what you said is childish and irresponsible. Dogs are like guns. Their actions are entirely dependent upon the owner.

7th person to be attacked by a Pit Bull in some way shape or form. The only differences between your story and mine are my dog was attacked by a Pit that jumped the fence, and my neighbors seemed to be responsible when it came to that f-ing dog.

If I had a opportunity to vote for a ban against Pits I would do it in a second.

With ALL "problem dogs" 98% of the problem is the owner. .

I would disagree with the above statement.

I think the number is very high, but have got to put some responsibility on the breeders and the mills, especially the Pitts right now.

Breed skittish dogs and you only get more, dumbed down versions of the same.

while i can see where your coming from this is where you get into the whole nature vs. nurture thing. I can agree that breeders and puppy mills are at fault... to a degree. but its nothing that the owner cant resolve with proper training (unless they are really physically abused for a long time) But if your going to get a dog you need to do the research to make sure you know what you want out of a dog. My grandparents wanted a dog and hey got a whippet, that dog has way too much energy for them. My friends grandma took his brothers pitt so that it "has a good home" neither of which are good choices in dog for who they are (age, energy) This is also a problem with people who get pitts bc they "look cool, or look mean and tough" not realizing they have to put in the work to have a good dog, or even a dog they can control. They want a dog that looks tough and looks mean that turns out tough and mean, which is a problem caused by lack effort on the owners part.

7th person to be attacked by a Pit Bull in some way shape or form.

The point you are trying to make is entirely flawed.

I posted this article in the thread yesterday. You might consider giving it a look since it has the actual facts that you're trying to get at with your straw poll.

while i can see where your coming from this is where you get into the whole nature vs. nurture thing. I can agree that breeders and puppy mills are at fault... to a degree. but its nothing that the owner cant resolve with proper training (unless they are really physically abused for a long time) But if your going to get a dog you need to do the research to make sure you know what you want out of a dog. My grandparents wanted a dog and hey got a whippet, that dog has way too much energy for them. My friends grandma took his brothers pitt so that it "has a good home" neither of which are good choices in dog for who they are (age, energy) This is also a problem with people who get pitts bc they "look cool, or look mean and tough" not realizing they have to put in the work to have a good dog, or even a dog they can control. They want a dog that looks tough and looks mean that turns out tough and mean, which is a problem caused by lack effort on the owners part.

I will not try and argue against placing fault on the owners, but I will not remove the inbred and over bred dogs either. Stupid is as stupid does and there are a lot of stupid dogs.

The point you are trying to make is entirely flawed.

I posted this article in the thread yesterday. You might consider giving it a look since it has the actual facts that you're trying to get at with your straw poll.

The point I am trying to make is, out of 135 ish or so posts, there have been 7 different attacks by Pit Bulls on ES members. The other thing I am amazed by is the posters are ES Tailgate regulars not a bunch of people signing up to talk about how they were attacked by Pits.. Two of us had to deal with a Pit Bull flippiung it's lid and jumping a fence to attack.

Your article is b.s. and I have read plenty of pro pit bull propogana when discussing why his dog was dangerous and a menace to our neighborhood that is holding the immediate neighbors hostage. He had pamphlets, brochures, FAQ's sheets, you name it, he gave it to me.

The point I am trying to make is, out of 135 ish or so posts, there have been 7 different attacks by Pit Bulls on ES members. The other thing I am amazed by is the posters are ES Tailgate regulars not a bunch of people signing up to talk about how they were attacked by Pits.. Two of us had to deal with a Pit Bull flippiung it's lid and jumping a fence to attack.

Your article is b.s. and I have read plenty of pro pit bull propogana when discussing why his dog was dangerous and a menace to our neighborhood that is holding the immediate neighbors hostage. He had pamphlets, brochures, FAQ's sheets, you name it, he gave it to me.

You didn't actually read the article, did you?

You didn't actually read the article, did you?

I have read that article before, and many others exactly like it. I have also read many opposing view articles, printed them out and gave them to my neighbor with the Pit. He was telling me the point I was trying to make and it was flawed.

Sure I know all dogs bite, and there are many that can kill, so what's his point?

Why do people give Pitbulls such a bad wrap? Many of my friends have or have had a Pit and I find them to be very friendly dogs. If your neighbor attained the dog as a puppy than have your girls meet the dog and play with it. Unless your neighbor is a douche and abuses the dog and trains it to dislike other people than there shouldn't be a problem. They are very loyal, protective dogs. They are not like fricken lions in the wild.

The only problem with little kids and any dog is they don't understand how much is too much when they are playing with them...This is the only chance I can see your kids making the dog feel in danger causing it to snap at them.

I have a vivid memory from when I was between 5 and 7 years old. I was just riding my bike around the block in a pretty small neighborhood, 30 homes tops, when I happened to pass a guy washing his car while his Doberman sat nearby. Well, it took off after me and was almost instantly right beside me, biting at my right leg. The owner just stood there yelling in a half-assed manner. Thankfully it gave up at some point between the two houses and a retention pond that separated our properties.

I had a similar problem with the same sort of dog at an earlier date. Apparently this dog belonged to one of the builders of my neighborhood and thought he owned the whole thing. (he had previously killed my parents' yorkie before I was born while my grandmother was walking him) Well, one day I decide to go play in my sandbox but when I'm almost there, the gate is wide open and a big dog is staring at me. I ran right back inside and I guess he didn't chase me.

I grew up around dogs that included a huge one owned by one of my aunts that was really old and gentle when I was little so I am comfortable around 95% of the breeds out there. But if it is one the few that might attack me, my own dogs, or a little kid, I'd build a fence or get a gun.

I have read that article before, and many others exactly like it. I have also read many opposing view articles, printed them out and gave them to my neighbor with the Pit. He was telling me the point I was trying to make and it was flawed.

Sure I know all dogs bite, and there are many that can kill, so what's his point?

There is no way you read the article if you consider it a pro Pit Bull article.

All the article is saying is that the most likely culprit for dog on human aggression in any given year is going to be the most popular dog at that time. It goes on to discuss that Pits have been very popular as well as over-bred in recent history.

I'm not going to discount your stories or your ES straw poll. All I asked was that you took the time to consider some actual facts that exist.

Dog bites and attacks will happen. Pit Bull involvement will continue to exist so long as Pits are prevalent and over-bred. The one thing that you can generally tie all dog attacks to is poor training and/or environment, and a particular breeds prevalence in society to begin with.

I do not and have never owned a Pit, but I do own a breed of dog (Cane Corso) that has been disparaged on this site without any actual facts or first hand knowledge to begin with.

The best thing you can get out of that article is that it's dangerous to paint a particular breed of dog as more dangerous than any other since dog attack statistics change so much throughout the years.

Pit Bulls are good dogs. They are attentive and loyal. They are working dogs. They will work to please their owner. They love having a job to do. I have several friends with pit bulls, all of which are very calm and well mannered.

But...

Pit Bulls were bred to be strong. They are all muscle. They have, most likely, the strongest jaw of any of the breeds. Their loyalty can also be their detriment. If young children are poking and prodding at a Pit Bull (which is very likely), the Pit may strike. If the Pit Bull strikes it would easily hurt or maim a young child.

I could see something like that happen. No fault to the owner. The Pit Bull was just trying to defend itself or its owner. Just as dog owners train dogs, parents should also train their children.

There is no way you read the article if you consider it a pro Pit Bull article.

All the article is saying is that the most likely culprit for dog on human aggression in any given year is going to be the most popular dog at that time. It goes on to discuss that Pits have been very popular as well as over-bred in recent history.

I'm not going to discount your stories or your ES straw poll. All I asked was that you took the time to consider some actual facts that exist.

Dog bites and attacks will happen. Pit Bull involvement will continue to exist so long as Pits are prevalent and over-bred. The one thing that you can generally tie all dog attacks to is poor training and/or environment, and a particular breeds prevalence in society to begin with.

I do not and have never owned a Pit, but I do own a breed of dog (Cane Corso) that has been disparaged on this site without any actual facts or first hand knowledge to begin with.

The best thing you can get out of that article is that it's dangerous to paint a particular breed of dog as more dangerous than any other since dog attack statistics change so much throughout the years.

Yes I did read that article, i told you I read it last year. I printed out every article imaginable and would put them in my neighbors mail box, or if he wasn't home hand them to his wife directly.

I have been around plenty of Pit Bulls and I am very familiar with how relentless they can be, a freind of mine use to get his pits to compete in hanging competitions. He had punching bags in his back yard, they could hand from the punching bags for hours, you could swing them and they would not let go. My neice has a Pit Bull that lived at my moms house when she was away at college, even though he seemed pretty mellow, he is not a dog I would let me kid around.

I will say it again, the difference between Pits and other dogs is the shredding manner in which they bite, (trust me I have seen it first hand). Some call my dog a "alpha female" she expects all dogs to bow to her, she is a good size dog and in very good shape. On a couple of occasions, she has got into it with other dogs in the she has gotten a little testy with certain dogs in teh past that do not give her the submissive body language she was looking for. Her scraps were no more than a couple of seconds with no more than a puncture wound to her or the other dog.

The incident with my neighbors pit bull lasted maybe all of thirty seconds. My dog was chilling in my back yard when the Pit Bull kumped the fence. The Pit Bulls owner saw it and immediately went running after her. By the time he got to my dog and the Pit, the Pit had ripped several gaping wounds to my dogs legs. We are talking 30 seconds at most and over 100 stitches.

My dog scratched the pit bulls ear, my neighbor was telling me she was trying to get away. My very strong 85lb boxer/ lab is trying to get away from a 45lb soaking wet 7th month old pit bull?? What's wrong with this picture? If my dog was a kid, the Pit could have very easily killed the kid in less than 30 seconds.

Your breed of dog is just as dangerous, if people are going to own these breeds of dogs, you need to be responsible for yoru dog and your dogs actions. Other than getting rid of breeds like the corso and pits, owners should be punished by law if their dogs attack other kids/people/dogs

The main problem with pits lies in the fact that a lot of people who are purchasing pits are doing so for the wrong reasons. They want a tough looking dog- and that's it.

Pits are not evil, and people need to realize that the fault is with the owners 99 percent of the time. I have a 7 month old english mastiff, which sometimes gets lumped into the dangerous dog category for no other reason than its size. In reality he would rather nap than harm even a squirrel. It just ticks me off when people are scared of certain dogs for uninformed reasons.

I would take my child over to the house and introduce it to the owner. Better yet, I would have the kid meet the dog at your house. This way the dog will become comfortable with your kid, and your child will become comfortable with the dog. Often times dog attacks begin with someone acting strangely (because of fear) around the dog and this unnerves the animal and can cause odd behavior.

Archived