Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Neighbor Got a Pit Bull - What Do I Do?

robotfire

-Dig a moat, fill it with crocodiles

-Start a car restoration project. Spread parts all over back yard. Hang engine from cherry picker. Leave frame of rusted car sitting out. Tell neighbor that you can't complete the project until he gets rid of his dog

-every time dog poops in your yard, collect it, load it in a trebuchet, and fling it back. Aim for open windows.

-Buy a pet Grizzly

wtf steroids did that dog take..LMAO

but seriously, pit bulls are harmless, they are not the vicious dogs that everyone puts them out to be, unless you train it like that.

I saw that dog working at the airport, before he sniffed in Jose Canseco's bags.

P.S.

I don't buy that about Pit Bulls not being aggressive unless taught. A retriever will retrieve becasue it's been bred into them over generations. A terrier will get stuck down a hole looking for moles, because they have been bred for that over generations. Pit bulls will be aggressive. Period. It's in their nature.

The notion that pitbulls are more aggressive than other breeds is simply false. I know many people who have them, and not one would ever bit someone without cause. They have really developed a bad reputation ever since people started using them for these sick dog fight. BTW, the reason they are used in dog fights is because they are very smart and trainable, and also incredibly loyal. That is why they will continue to fight despite injuries in an attempt to please their owners. I couldn't find the youtube video that I like about the misconceptions of pitbulls, but I am providing a link about the general temperament of the breed. I hope this helps clear things up a bit. You should absolutely go meet the dog and see how it behaves before jumping to conclusions. It's like doggie-racism.

http://www.realpitbull.com/temperament.html

I also just remembered a program that comes on the Nat Geo channel called Dogtown, USA. This organization was the one that took in many of Vick's dogs. Most of them were successfully rehabilitated and put up for adoption. If you get a chance check that out.

Edit: I just saw your response about your neighbor's laziness, and I understand your concern. I still think it is important to let your daughters interact with the dog under supervision. That way the dog is familiar with them and would be less prone to aggression towards them, even if it does turn out to be a bad apple.

You my friend are correct!! If it was me and I do have three young girls, I would build a fence and the first time it is out call animal control to pick up or pick it up yourself and take him for a stroll in the park. It won't take long if this guy is irresbonsible.

I don't buy that about Pit Bulls not being aggressive unless taught. A retriever will retrieve becasue it's been bred into them over generations. A terrier will get stuck down a hole looking for moles, because they have been bred for that over generations. Pit bulls will be aggressive. Period. It's in their nature.

You my friend are correct!! If it was me and I do have three young girls, I would build a fence and the first time it is out call animal control to pick up or pick it up yourself and take him for a stroll in the park. It won't take long if this guy is irresbonsible.

The problem is that is pitbulls have never been bred for aggression towards humans. Historically they were used for various types of hunting, etc, so some pitbulls can be animal aggressive if the behavior is not corrected. They are hardly ever aggressive towards people, however, even with no training at all.

The problem is that is pitbulls have never been bred for aggression towards humans. Historically they were used for various types of hunting, etc, so some pitbulls can be animal aggressive if the behavior is not corrected. They are hardly ever aggressive towards people, however, even with no training at all.

In their minds though, how can they differentiate between a child and a dog?

If my neighbor got a Pit Bull, I would re-visit our thread regarding the 2nd amendment.

-Dig a moat, fill it with crocodiles

-Start a car restoration project. Spread parts all over back yard. Hang engine from cherry picker. Leave frame of rusted car sitting out. Tell neighbor that you can't complete the project until he gets rid of his dog

-every time dog poops in your yard, collect it, load it in a trebuchet, and fling it back. Aim for open windows.

-Buy a pet Grizzly

I love the first option, but I'm afraid the crocodiles will be expensive to maintain.

He already beat me to the second option - he's got about a hundred cars on his 20 feet of property. I'd really rather fence HIS yard in than mine, because my yard is huge. My other neighbor and I are amazed at how white trash this guy is. He should be studied by scientists.

Option three involves me handling pit bull poop. VETO.

Option four will only be good if I don't also do option one. I certainly don't want my lovable pet grizzly to be bothered by crocodiles, after all.

The key for aggression or over-protectism in dogs seems to be tied to two things:

1. The ability of the owner to train the dog (for good or evil).

2. The socializtion of the dog.

Point 2 is somewhat related in to point 1, because it seems unlikely that the owner would train the dog to attack people or animals if they took the effort to socialize it.

This whole issue can be observed in any breed of dog btw. Many people don't like those tiny breeds because they are so hostile towards people who don't live in the house they do (like your whacky Aunts' chihuahua). Admittedly, it's much easier to deal with the chihuaua (by punting it across the room or storing it someplace harmless) than it is with a free-roaming hostile pit bull.

Talk to your neighbor, meet the dog.

In their minds though, how can they differentiate between a child and a dog?

If my neighbor got a Pit Bull, I would re-visit our thread regarding the 2nd amendment.

Which is why I suggested to OP that he take his daughters to interact with the dog under supervision, so it is familiar with them and can differentiate.

All dogs are capable of biting, but only a few breeds are generally capable of killing, and pit bulls are one of those breeds:

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html#Thedogsmostlikelytobite

"Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities) reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through1992, and Rottweilers were responsible for about half of human DBRF reported during the 4 years from 1993 through 1996....[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities."

Edit: at no time should a child be left alone with these dogs, as it's common for a dog to bite even a family member. Too risky.

Get some lipstick and turn it into a Hockey-Mom!

:D

Dammit! Got here late, and made it all the way to the middle of the thread thinking there was still hope...until you...:(

I was gonna say put Lipstick on it and nominate it for VP in 2012 cuz the GOP is gonna be desparate. :silly:

Dammit! Got here late, and made it all the way to the middle of the thread thinking there was still hope...until you...:(

I was gonna say put Lipstick on it and nominate it for VP in 2012 cuz the GOP is gonna be desparate. :silly:

or you could just get it a hat with a maroon X and feather and make it a MOD in the tailgate. :silly:

All dogs are capable of biting, but only a few breeds are generally capable of killing, and pit bulls are one of those breeds:

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html#Thedogsmostlikelytobite

"Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities) reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through1992, and Rottweilers were responsible for about half of human DBRF reported during the 4 years from 1993 through 1996....[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities."

There are more than a few breeds capable of killing a person. What is different about pitbulls and Rotties as the data suggests, is that people see these dogs as tough and capable guard dogs, and train them to be mean and aggressive. The data does not show a ratio of attacks to deaths, but tries to tie in the breed population to deaths. I wish I had paid more attention in logic class, and I would be able to tell you exactly what fallicy that was.

Talk to your neighbor, meet the dog.

good post :cheers:

Socialize with the dog and educate your children in how to read a dog's behavior and what NOT to do.....and make clear to the owner you will not allow it to become a problem.

You might also check the leash laws(as Blondie suggested) and any other relevant animal control laws.(specific breed bans or fence requirements)

I'm a big fan of the saying"good fences makes good neighbors";)

If you don't want the expense or bother, Iwould suggest keeping a loaded gun handy...for the owner or dog:2cents:

I love dogs,but I love my kids more.

added I have a Rottie and I would expect nothing less from my neighbors...certain breeds are not for idiots to raise

There are more than a few breeds capable of killing a person.

OK, you're right, I'll agree that I overstated my point. I could have said what the data actually shows, which is that some dogs are generally more associated with fatalities.

What is different about pitbulls and Rotties as the data suggests, is that people see these dogs as tough and capable guard dogs, and train them to be mean and aggressive.

So you think that training by the owners is accountable for all of the difference between the fatality rates of bites from pit bulls and bites from, say, golden retrievers?

If you can post some statistics, you might have an easier time convincing me. Otherwise your statement is an assumption.

I'd be interested to know what percentage of pit bulls involved in fatalities were trained for aggression.

The data does not show a ratio of attacks to deaths, but tries to tie in the breed population to deaths. I wish I had paid more attention in logic class, and I would be able to tell you exactly what fallicy that was.

Please reread this quote.

"[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities."

If the quote is true, then logic points to one of three conclusions:

A these breeds are more likely to bite,

B more likely to kill when they do bite, or

C some combination of the two.

when i was a kid in the 80s doberman pinchers were the dog everyone was scared of. i had 2 and one of them slept under the covers with me. she would not let drunk people near me and loved every single kid that came over. she never even played like she would bite but instead tried to lick your face off.

i had a rotty that used to come to work with me and she would just walk thru all the cubes and offices and people loved her. she was very well behaved and was scared of dogs her size.

Ask your neighbors to build a fence.

When they refuse... Build one yourself.

Best advice.
BTW, the reason they are used in dog fights is because they are very smart and trainable, and also incredibly loyal. That is why they will continue to fight despite injuries in an attempt to please their owners.
Uh, miniature poodles are smart, loyal and trainable and I don't think people fight them. ;)

"[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities."

If the quote is true, then logic points to one of three conclusions:

A these breeds are more likely to bite,

B more likely to kill when they do bite, or

C some combination of the two.

The last line of that to me means that they are saying that these breeds are more likely to kill when they bite, but upon rereading it I think it's subject to interpretation. I am having trouble locating stats for most popular guard dog breeds, but something related to the issue that I was able to find is temperament testing statistics.

The American Pit Bull Terrier breed has an 84.3% passing rate on the termperament test. This is almost identical to a breed commonly seen as lovable and nice: the Golden Retriever, which has a passing rate of 84.2%. The Rottweiler had an 82.6% passing rate. These numbers seem to be typical among breeds that have extensive testing done. This would also indicate that in order for the pitbulls and rotties to have such high numbers of fatal attacks compared to other breeds, there would have to be a much higher number of them being trained to be attack dogs, guard dogs, or any other job that would make them more aggressive.

http://www.atts.org/index.html

Uh, miniature poodles are smart, loyal and trainable and I don't think people fight them. ;)

Yes, you are correct. I left out the fact that they are very strong and have a high pain tolerance. The qualities I mentioned are what set them apart from other breeds that are similar in physical ability in terms of fighting.

Archived