Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Neighbor Got a Pit Bull - What Do I Do?

robotfire

"[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities."

I would prefer a longer sample than two yrs since I doubt fatalities are all that common and a few cases can skew the perception.

I do agree they are large powerful breeds that can be deadly if aggressive.

BigMike619...my Rott was terrified of my rat terrier puppy:silly:

I felt sorry for the big lug:2cents:

(LONG) As a former dog trainer I can tell you that for the most part Pits are very friendly and social with humans but, other animals not so much, as they were bred to be the all around dog (working pulling carts and plows, hunting large land game like wild boar, and protection) they have fairly high energy levels which must be exerted. They do get a bad rap bc. people use these traits to exploit them in dog fights. The problem is that they can be OVERLY-FRIENDLY and while trying to play can get to rough esp. with small children by literally not knowing their own strength. Jumping up and scratching them accidentally or nipping. The best advice i can give you is to call animal control EVERY TIME either dogs is in your yard. Everywhere has leash laws (maybe home owners assoc. as well) But after a few calls, even if the dogs are up by the time they arrive the animal control officer is gonna realize there is a problem (pictures will help with that too). After a fine (or a few) of $300 + per dog per violation he will take it upon himself to fix the problem to save himself some $ from future fines. BUT i do STRONGLY recommend the advice given by other posters and get your children and the dog familiar with one another (let them play with it, give him treats under supervision of course, but dont be timid or worried you have to give the dog the right energy. be you kids "protector" in the dogs mind, which shouldn't be a far stretch for you) Pitts are very friendly and mine are the best dogs I have ever own but they can get dominant without a good owner/training they become "bullies" literally if not put in their place. Try the animal control route to solve your problem, you wont be his favorite neighbor, but i have a feeling you couldnt care less. PM me if you have any other questions or concerns. I have lots of other tips/tricks but this post has been long enough.

simple. the first time that piece of **** enters your yard, walk up to it and slice it's throat from ear to ear. Point ****ing blank. Then carry the blood spurting hunk of **** and splatter it on the front door of your neighbor's house. Every one of those worthless things should be exterminated. Don't take the let's wait and see attitude. You'll be sorry.

simple. the first time that piece of **** enters your yard, walk up to it and slice it's throat from ear to ear. Point ****ing blank. Then carry the blood spurting hunk of **** and splatter it on the front door of your neighbor's house. Every one of those worthless things should be exterminated. Don't take the let's wait and see attitude. You'll be sorry.

Go seek help.

My sister has a Rott and he's a great dog.

I dare you to try something like that with her dog, I think the dog won't be the one that would be spurting some blood.

good gosh man!!

and they say Im full of rage?

How does a dog respect a property line or not respect it?

Umm my dog always has. She will not go out into the street or into the neighbors yard. It's called "training". No offense to you Blondie, just my thought on the OP's situation and what kind of dog owner his neighbor is

People like you are half the problem, the other half is the irresponsible owner. So your saying every pit., rott., doby, etc. should be exterminated? what about american bulldogs? mastiffs? wolfhounds? boxers? where does it stop?!?!?! Punish the dog for the owners defficiencies, and for being born that thinking is just reprehensible....

You are a terrible person.

rich you seem like a really good guy but that was ****ed up. i have two pit mixes and they are the sweetest dogs. i cant believe that people actually think that the dog is the problem. pits are a breed that requires training and understanding.

Hello, everybody. My neighbor got a pit bull. as of now, both of our back yards are connected together. His other dog has never respected the property line between our houses, so I expect this dog to have the same mindset. I have two little girls (one and three years old), and I am very worried about their safety. What are my options? What can I do to protect them?

Go tell that dog to respect your property line.

If anybody is interested, I think I've got at least part of a plan right now.

I read that there has never been a recorded attack by a pit bull that was spayed or neutered. I talked to my neighbor's friend (went over to talk to the neighbor, he wasn't available), and he agrees that's the way to go. I plan on talking to the neighbor tomorrow evening about it, and I'm willing to help with the bill if he wants.

The second part of my plan is to talk to the guy he is renting from. I'm not planning on making any threats or anything of that nature. I just want the landlord to understand that I am concerned, etc.

Third, I will put up a fence. It will not be a 6-foot privacy fence, but a regular 3-foot fence with chicken wire. I want that dog to understand the boundary.

Fourth, I will call the county any time that dog comes into my yard, and I will let my neighbor know that's my plan.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If anybody is interested, I think I've got at least part of a plan right now.

I read that there has never been a recorded attack by a pit bull that was spayed or neutered. I talked to my neighbor's friend (went over to talk to the neighbor, he wasn't available), and he agrees that's the way to go. I plan on talking to the neighbor tomorrow evening about it, and I'm willing to help with the bill if he wants.

The second part of my plan is to talk to the guy he is renting from. I'm not planning on making any threats or anything of that nature. I just want the landlord to understand that I am concerned, etc.

Third, I will put up a fence. It will not be a 6-foot privacy fence, but a regular 3-foot fence with chicken wire. I want that dog to understand the boundary.

Fourth, I will call the county any time that dog comes into my yard, and I will let my neighbor know that's my plan.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thoughts? You are way more scared of that dog than you need to be. But I understand you feel the need to prevent anything from happening to your daughters. To each his own, you do whatever you feel you need to do.

Rich... you need to think before you say things like that. Your post did not sound the least bit sarcastic, so I am responding accordingly. Understand that many people love their dogs as much as if they were their own child. If you found yourself in a situation where a neighbors pitbull got out of its house and found its way into your yard, and you did what you said, you shouldn't be surprised when the owner of the dog responds the same way, only directed at you and not your dog.

You are one messed up mofo. Way over the line.

rich you seem like a really good guy but that was ****ed up. i have two pit mixes and they are the sweetest dogs. i cant believe that people actually think that the dog is the problem. pits are a breed that requires training and understanding.

**** those dogs. If you've ever been REALLY attacked by one you'd know. I mean attacked! In my own yard by one of those docile playful as an angel pit bulls. Let's just say one of us didn't make it and I bathed in his blood before I took it to it's former owner. That animal and everything mixed with its blood line needs to go. They are a ticking time bomb.

I'm sorry I feel so strongly about them. I went through a horrific event and I will never forgive the last one.

Guest sith lord
I have never met a dog that was born mean. dogs are trained or thru their enviornment become mean. I live in San Diego and pit bulls are a dime a dozen out here. Most of them look like they would eat your face and ask for seconds but as soon as you get near them they start wagging their tails and just want to be loved like a lab/sheppard/etc dog would.

You're right, but some dogs are way more prone to snap than others. Fighting is in a pit bull's DNA.

And to answer the OP question: Get a lion.

People like you are half the problem, the other half is the irresponsible owner. So your saying every pit., rott., doby, etc. should be exterminated? what about american bulldogs? mastiffs? wolfhounds? boxers? where does it stop?!?!?! Punish the dog for the owners defficiencies, and for being born that thinking is just reprehensible....

People like me are NOT half the problem. People that buy the worthless piece of **** are the entire problem. If it were up to me they'd all be dead, pits and rots. You need to be on the recieving end of those teeth and jaws one time, your opinion would be the same.

Archived