Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Neighbor Got a Pit Bull - What Do I Do?

robotfire

Just looking at Craigs List and the newspaper ads, don't see as many ads for Pitbulls anymore. Seems to have been a fad that hit its peak in the late 90s. Most ads are for small dogs.

Many of the people I knew who bought them (back then), were insecure guys, and they wanted to make a statement about their macho personalities. Then they'd get the Nissan Pathfinder, with the music blaring, driving slowly down the street with the dog in the passenger seat. I think we've all seen the picture.

Yup. Big fierce dog and 4WD truck, small penis.

Just looking at Craigs List and the newspaper ads, don't see as many ads for Pitbulls anymore. Seems to have been a fad that hit its peak in the late 90s. Most ads are for small dogs.

Many of the people I knew who bought them (back then), were insecure guys, and they wanted to make a statement about their macho personalities. Then they'd get the Nissan Pathfinder, with the music blaring, driving slowly down the street with the dog in the passenger seat. I think we've all seen the picture.

I dunno, checking petfinder.com, it seems there are a ton, alot of pit mixes as well.

http://www.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi?breed=Pit+Bull&tmpl=&preview=&animal=Dog&preview=&zip=98103

It seems to be one of the more popular breeds when you do searches.

YES THEY ARE, and the IRRESPONSIBLE owners too!!! And I have been... I used to train dogs for a living... i had way more problem dogs than i did easy ones. I know how it feels... probably better than you in fact.

So by your logic, if someone of a certain race attacked you and you in self defense killed them, that, since someone of that particular race hurt you, all of them should be killed. Or where would you draw the line, a bear in the woods? an opossum in your garage?? One of them hurt me = they should ALL die?? man you are screwed up.

***to the OP do chain link not chicken wire (its not strong enough).Be sure bury at least 6 inches of the fence in the ground. And unless your a breeder any dog you have should be fixed

While I don't agree with Captrich's post, but I do sympathize with his experience, I have to disagree with you on a couple of points. I don't think it's MY reponsibility to watch out for other people's dogs. I don't own any dogs (but have in the past including a Sheppard) and while I never had a traumatic experience with one, Rots, Pit Bills, Mastiffs and Sheppards make me very uneasy when around those dogs.

Comparing a Possum or Bear was not the best example. They are "wild" animals and have no chance to be trained or bred into a harmless breed.

build a fence or shoot it if it comes near your house... I was turkey hunting in Highland County, Va on a family friends property and when we got back to this house his neighbor and his pit bull came over to say HI. The dog jumped in the truck and started to shred these birds to pieces, the neighbor jumped in the truck to pull him off and the dog turned on him. He ripped his ear off and took a huge chunk out of his shoulder, my dad's friend pulled his bow out and shot and arrow right through his neck...

needless to say I clapped...

The owner of the pitbull (still bleeding) dragged the dog back over to his property and threw him in a ditch.

ok ok ok i have had pits and now have a mastiff pit breed ........ best thing to do is build a fence..... your kids are to young to risk ..... many times children especially small ones tend to antagonize dogs unknowingly..... dont take the risk..

i love pits etc but no dog is worth risking the welfare of your kids and i raised both my kids with pits..... but it is different when the dogs live in tha same house and are watched after......

if you want your kids to play in their own yard with out worries..........

BUILD A FENCE!!

Yes, we filed a report, did the whole 9. Basically it was one strike out of 4 against the Pit before they would consider her a dangerous animal.

And there is part of the problem that I have. The dog has to attack/injure "FOUR" people or animals before anything is done about it My mom's Sheppard had a litter of 10 (pretty big litter for a Shep) and my uncle took one of the dogs (male). He was great for a few years, then attacked a kid and sent him to the hospital (happened in Charles County) and they immediately put the dog down. They should get one chance and one chance only IMO.

I have a pit bull mix. She is a rescue dog. I have her because I saved her from just living on the street. She is now 10 yrs old. She loves the cat, that is her baby. But I don't trust her around any other cats. She loves kids, absolutely adores children and I have never, ever had any concerns with her in that area. She stays inside while I'm at work, and I honestly believe that if someone broke into my house, she would bite them. (maybe not if they had food, cause she will eat anything.). She will bark when someone knocks, but If I let you in, she knows you are ok. She is a total lover and attention whore.

With that said. I am very responsible, would never let her just run around the streets. No matter what kind of dog you have, owners have a responsibility to the dog, and the community. Spay and neuter your pets, keep them in a kennel, or fenced yard, or in the house. (I'm not a fan of keeping them tied up, it creates issues)

My mom has a 1/3 pit, 1/3 lab, 1/3 whatever. She's about 65 pounds and she is one of the whimpiest dogs I've ever been around. She's especially afraid of men (my dad made her that way by yelling at her). She cowers, but when she sees other dogs not in the neighborhood, her fur rises on her neck and she gets very aggressive. My point is, even the most "fraidy cat" dogs can turn on a dime. And my parents have a cat that swats her away when she gets pissed at the dog and the dog cowers.

ok ok ok i have had pits and now have a mastiff pit breed ........ best thing to do is build a fence..... your kids are to young to risk ..... many times children especially small ones tend to antagonize dogs unknowingly..... dont take the risk..

i love pits etc but no dog is worth risking the welfare of your kids and i raised both my kids with pits..... but it is different when the dogs live in tha same house and are watched after......

if you want your kids to play in their own yard with out worries..........

BUILD A FENCE!!

Threadjack- When you say mastiff pit breed, are you talking about the bandogge? I am curious to know because I have an English Mastiff and I'm interested in knowing more about them/their temperments

build a fence or shoot it if it comes near your house... I was turkey hunting in Highland County, Va on a family friends property and when we got back to this house his neighbor and his pit bull came over to say HI. The dog jumped in the truck and started to shred these birds to pieces, the neighbor jumped in the truck to pull him off and the dog turned on him. He ripped his ear off and took a huge chunk out of his shoulder, my dad's friend pulled his bow out and shot and arrow right through his neck...

needless to say I clapped...

The owner of the pitbull (still bleeding) dragged the dog back over to his property and threw him in a ditch.

:paranoid:

Zoiks. Think Disney could make this into a movie?

Threadjack- When you say mastiff pit breed, are you talking about the bandogge? I am curious to know because I have an English Mastiff and I'm interested in knowing more about them/their temperments

she is an american mastiff..... 25%pit 25%rott..50% bull mastiff

120lbs of love....

has this guy even met the dog yet?

watch this dog turn out to be a scared little puppy that loves everything and everyone.

then what?!! HUH?! WHAT THEN?!

That was my neighbors dog, a sweet little puppy that would lick you to death, until the switch flipped and she went ballistic on my dog.

I have a pit bull mix. She is a rescue dog. I have her because I saved her from just living on the street. She is now 10 yrs old. She loves the cat, that is her baby. But I don't trust her around any other cats. She loves kids, absolutely adores children and I have never, ever had any concerns with her in that area. She stays inside while I'm at work, and I honestly believe that if someone broke into my house, she would bite them. (maybe not if they had food, cause she will eat anything.). She will bark when someone knocks, but If I let you in, she knows you are ok. She is a total lover and attention whore.

With that said. I am very responsible, would never let her just run around the streets. No matter what kind of dog you have, owners have a responsibility to the dog, and the community. Spay and neuter your pets, keep them in a kennel, or fenced yard, or in the house. (I'm not a fan of keeping them tied up, it creates issues)

She is a mix, mix breed dogs tend to not have all of the defects of a full breed.

pits are great with kids and people but even the sweetest pits dont like other dogs usually...

:laugh: riiiiight.

Funny you say that, when discussing my options with the vet my three year old was with me. He said "I wouldn't worry as much about your dog, I would worry about him" (pointing at my three year old.) He went on to explain that if my son were to rough housing with their kids and the dog viewed my son as a threat, there is a very good chance that he would get mauled in the same fashion. Needless to say, my son didn't play with their kids any more.

She is a mix, mix breed dogs tend to not have all of the defects of a full breed.

I completely disagree with you on that. My background, so you know I'm not just pulling this from my arse...

Spent 5 years as a Police K9 officer and dog trainer. Been training/working dogs for over 9 years now. I can tell you that owners are most responsible for pet behavior. Yes, some breads are easier to make aggressive, but dogs are not born to attack. Even in police dogs, that is something we teach them from an early age.

so you want a loving dog? Is that it?

she is a very very loving dog..... but if you arent suppose to be in my house .... she WILL eat your face off......

she has the tendencies of bull mastiff.......... couch potato....

as far as the vet thing someone mentioned...... in my original post i stated that children unknowingly antagonize dogs..... dont feed the dogs near the kids and dont ever let your kids feed the dogs at the bowl....

if your pit attacks your kid it is your fault for not being a responsible parent.....

however if a pit is RAISED with you kid you should have no problem

she is a very very loving dog..... but if you arent suppose to be in my house .... she WILL eat your face off......

she has the tendencies of bull mastiff.......... couch potato....

as far as the vet thing someone mentioned...... in my original post i stated that children unknowingly antagonize dogs..... dont feed the dogs near the kids and dont ever let your kids feed the dogs at the bowl....

if your pit attacks your kid it is your fault for not being a responsible parent.....

however if a pit is RAISED with you kid you should have no problem

If I wanted to be in your house, your dog would pose 0 problem whatsoever.

If you want protection, buy a gun. Your gun won't bust down your front door, run across the street, and maul an innocent child.

So if its 'loving' you want, buy a golden retreiver or newfy.

If you want protection, buy a gun. Your gun won't bust down your front door, run across the street, and maul an innocent child.

You're assuming that those specific breeds make better pets than other?

if i wanted your opinion on the safety and lovingness of my dog...... i would give it to you.........

furthermore...... a gun does no good when someone has broken in in the middle of the night when you are asleep ............. just ask ST21

rip ST21

Archived