Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Neighbor Got a Pit Bull - What Do I Do?

robotfire

ok i read most of the first 5 pages and not one story of a mauling or killing but multiple stories of skins fans that own and love pits.....

im not saying it doesnt happen.... im just saying that when it does it is usally that persons fault....

but as i stated to the op.... i too would be nervous with my kids an a neighbors dog especially if the dude is white trash as was stated by the op

however my pit slept with my daughter from the day she started sleeping in a toddler bed until the day that my sweet Shelby <the dog> passed away

i must say in all fairness that i did and do own females of these agreesive breeds because they seem to be much more maternal

Look....

This is a REAL American Pit Bull Terrier. A REAL pit bull.... the ones you hear about and see on the news are mixes... Mutts... they are bred as mutts with Rotts and Mastiffs to be much larger...

I have an American Pit Bull Terrier and she looks just like this and weighs about 55lbs.

I had a neighbor with 3 pit bulls. Two of the dogs, a male and a female, were very friendly. The other male was a terror. He was kept on a chain, inside a fence, but still managed to get out one time during the day. I had gone to the mailbox and turned back to find him snarling and growling between me and the house. I inched around him and sweet talked like I've never talked anyone in my life. I got close enough to the house to make a break for safety. The owner was a responsible person and all the dogs were from the same litter, yet one was mean while the other two were tame.

My point is do whatever you have to do for you to be in control of the situation. You never know when something unpredictable can happen like happened to me.

Look....

This is a REAL American Pit Bull Terrier. A REAL pit bull.... the ones you hear about and see on the news are mixes... Mutts... they are bred as mutts with Rotts and Mastiffs to be much larger...

I have an American Pit Bull Terrier and she looks just like this and weighs about 55lbs.

looks exactly like my old neighbors pit except she was redish / orange.

oh, one more thing...to parents. PLEASE For the love of GOD, teach your children to ASK before they just walk up to people with dogs. Just because someone has a dog on a leash in public, doesn't mean it's friendly like Snoopy.

I had a neighbor with 3 pit bulls. Two of the dogs, a male and a female, were very friendly. The other male was a terror......

There is a very simple explanation for this.... The one who was the terror thought he was the pack leader. He believed he was the defender of the family.

He had already dominated the other 2.. so they were docile.. he also dominated everyone else in the house.

The man of that house did not properly assert himself over that dog. that's it. If he was viewed as the pack leader... that dog would be docile like the other 2.

looks exactly like my old neighbors pit except she was redish / orange.

Well.. one other issue with Pit's is that they are highly energetic.. they must be walked 2 times a day at least until they are 3 years old.

Unsocialized and unexercised dogs are unstable. But you do have to put more effort into keeping a Pit excercised.

If your neighbor always kept her locked up in the back yard.. then there's your first clue why that happened.

has this guy even met the dog yet?

watch this dog turn out to be a scared little puppy that loves everything and everyone.

then what?!! HUH?! WHAT THEN?!

I've met the dog. It's a sweet little puppy. Six weeks old. How many of these stories have you heard where the dog was the "sweetest little thing, wouldn't hurt a fly" before someone or something got mauled? Like I said in the original post, even Hitler was nice at 6 weeks old.

I've met the dog. It's a sweet little puppy. Six weeks old. How many of these stories have you heard where the dog was the "sweetest little thing, wouldn't hurt a fly" before someone or something got mauled? Like I said in the original post, even Hitler was nice at 6 weeks old.

If you think your neighbor is irresponsible then I agree that you should use some caution. The dog is only as good as it's owner

IMO you should allow your kids to interact with the dog at this stage. Get them accustomed to being around it and furthermore not being scared of it. Dogs can sense someone being scared of them, which often times leads to attacks because dogs go on the defensive.

I realize there are people out their who group Pit Bull's as bad dogs, and rightfully so, but I would trust my dogs around anyone. Any age, any gender, afraid of dogs or love dogs. The only thing you might get is kissed to death.

There is no reason to not at least introduce your daughters to the dog when it's only 6 weeks old. Of course, under close supervision. As it has been pointed out many times before in this thread, imagine your fears are true and one day the dog gets out and comes up to your daughter playing in the yard. Even if the dog is the bad apple of the barrel, having the dog familiar with your daughter could very well save her life.

the problem is most people who get bit are usually to blame..... they just refuse to accept responsibility for their actions.....
How can you possibly blame any of these people who were attacked by a dog that jumped a fence to get to them? How can you possibly blame the three-year-olds that have been killed by this breed? How can you possibly blame my friends who were attacked by this breed for NO REASON?

Fun facts:

Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human dog bite related fatalities reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through 1992

Children seen in emergency departments were more likely than older persons to be bitten on the face, neck, and head.

77% of injuries to children under 10 years old are facial.

Severe injuries occur almost exclusively in children less than 10 years of age.

How can you possibly blame any of these people who were attacked by a dog that jumped a fence to get to them? How can you possibly blame the three-year-olds that have been killed by this breed? How can you possibly blame my friends who were attacked by this breed for NO REASON?

Fun facts:

Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human dog bite related fatalities reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through 1992

Children seen in emergency departments were more likely than older persons to be bitten on the face, neck, and head.

77% of injuries to children under 10 years old are facial.

Severe injuries occur almost exclusively in children less than 10 years of age.

how do i blame them? kids kick dogs pull their ears and tails and they tend to kick fences when dogs are on the other side barking....

you can say what you want but i know from my experiences that usually the person is to blame.... and as i stated before.... many stories you hear from the vicyims dont include an inadvertant antagonization of the dog.

a dog is only as good as its owner in most cases..... if the owner is an ass then more than likely the dog will be too and if the owner is irresponsible..... then the dog wasnt most likely trained right to begin with....

not to mention many people, especially kids, dont undertsand things like a dog wags his tail faster when he is mad or agressive than when he is happy.... causing accidents........

attacks happen..... im just saying that an attack that wasnt caused due to some form of antagonism are the rarity........

i have been snapped at by more friggin chiuauahs than any other dog.....

german shepards consitently are the most reported dog bites........

german shepards consitently are the most reported dog bites........

yeah.. that's what kills me about this whole thread... if it's a german shepard puppy next door, this guy doesn't care....

but an untrained aggressive shepard is just as dangerous as a pit.

or a Chow Chow... or a Doberman,.. or a Rotty... etc. etc...

Would you care if a Shepard pup moved in next door? cause you should just as much as any of the others...

There is not one Pitbull owner who doesn't think their dog isn't sweet. Of course they are around them all the time and feed and love them. Around other people it's a different story.

What's a different story?

Come into my house. You will be licked to death. Unless that's too much for you

Half the people who are the "Pit Bull = Terrible" advocates are people who never been around them. They rather sit back and listen to CNN or see what the these thugs in the city do with them and roll them ALL into that category.

I here the same BS on a weekly basis. I bet half the people who argue that don't even have dogs!

I have a Golden Retriever who will be 7 and 2 Pit Bulls who are 3 and they are the best of friends. I would let ANYONE, ANY AGE into my house and nothing brutal or vicious will happen. Unless you don't liked to be licked or having a 100Lb lap dog sit on you

Alot of dog hate in this thread. We all know where hate comes from....ignorance.
All hate comes from ignorance? What about the hate I feel for salmon? I've tried salmon. I'm not ignorant about salmon. I still hate salmon.

Sometimes, hate comes from a valid source. How would you feel about a lion living in your back yard? Have you seen this video? What a sweet lion! That lion wouldn't hurt a fly. How could you get upset about a lion living next door after seeing that video? So sweet!

All hate comes from ignorance? What about the hate I feel for salmon? I've tried salmon. I'm not ignorant about salmon. I still hate salmon.

Sometimes, hate comes from a valid source. How would you feel about a lion living in your back yard? Have you seen this video? What a sweet lion! That lion wouldn't hurt a fly. How could you get upset about a lion living next door after seeing that video? So sweet!

first off if you HATE salmon because you dontlike the taste then you have some serious anger issues....

secondly, a lion is in fact a NON DOMESTICATED ANIMAL.... no matter if it is captivity or not it is still a wild animal.....

thirdly, on what level of rational can you compare a 100 lb domesticated dog to a 400+ lb lion?

serious flaws in your logic my friend.....

Archived