Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Neighbor Got a Pit Bull - What Do I Do?

robotfire

Hello, everybody. My neighbor got a pit bull. as of now, both of our back yards are connected together. His other dog has never respected the property line between our houses, so I expect this dog to have the same mindset. I have two little girls (one and three years old), and I am very worried about their safety. What are my options? What can I do to protect them?

Get a privacy fence. Problem solved. You could ask the own to get invisible fencing, but the problem with that is that many dogs learn to run through it fast and get use to the shock.

115463.jpg

Hello, everybody. My neighbor got a pit bull. as of now, both of our back yards are connected together. His other dog has never respected the property line between our houses, so I expect this dog to have the same mindset. I have two little girls (one and three years old), and I am very worried about their safety. What are my options? What can I do to protect them?

They don't make good neighbors, well at least to other dogs. Pit Bulls have a natural tendancy to be aggressive towards other dogs, I know first hand. Last year I was on my way home, excited to watch the Redskins/Eagles Monday night game, I stopped to get some wings to throw on the grill.

I was leaving the store, my wife called and says Drex is hurt, her legs are bleeding really bad and I am not sure what happened. When I got home her skin on her back legs was hanging and had been ripped and shredded. My neighbors 7 month old 40 to 45 lb pitbull jumped the fence and attacked my dog. My dog ended up getting over 100 stitches, from a dog half of her size.

The owners of the dog are very normal people, family of 5 in their upper 30's, responsible hard working Americans. I had met the dog on other occasions and she was as sweet as she could be, after the attack I did not trust her. My concern after the attack was a 7 months old 45 lb soaking wet dog could do the amount of damage she did. I called the SPCA and filed a report, I was hoping they would put the dog down, they got fined and one strike on their aggressive animal report. After that, my philosophy was simple, If I caught the dog on my property I would kill it, fortunately they moved, end of story.

AS for your new neighbor, I would tell your neighbors to put up a fence, chaining the dog is not a good idea.

Go see a shrink... god ****ing damn, man :doh:

Being cautious and even a bit paranoid after something like that is perfectly understandable but you're in full-on serial killer mode. Hell, I'd be more afraid of having you move in next door than a pitbull after your last couple of comments.

I am sure other posters on ES have had Pit Bulls as neighbors, I amazed that three posters in this thread have been attacked by a Pit Bull in some way shape or form.

A pit bull is no more a ticking time bomb than any other dog. If they are properly brought up, they're a great dog.

I agree, the problem is when they attack they will shred the ever living **** out of of what ever they are attacking. I have had problems with my dog being a little aggressive with other dogs in the past, the difference is the most damage my dog ever did was pierce a ear, the Pit Bull nearly ripped all of the skin of my dogs leg.

As far as blaming the owner, and you would know because you are my neighbor and know who I am speaking about? I guess you met Princess as well when they took her for her daily walks?

As far as blaming the owner, and you would know because you are my neighbor and know who I am speaking about? I guess you met Princess as well when they took her for her daily walks?

Daily walks? That has nothing to do with proper socialization. If you have an aggressive dog, it's your responsibility to make it learn how to socialize. End of story. If you try and can't do it, then it's still your fault because you are doing it wrong. Some people just do not have the skills, and those people should not own aggressive breeds. Or maybe any dog.

If you want an aggressive dog, that's fine. Just keep him away from me and my dog, because 1) my dog if attacked has fought back in the past and she's strong and 2) I carry a knife when I walk my dog. If it ever got too bad, your dog would probably end up in the pet cemetery. Sorry.

I am one of the biggest dog lovers around, the type who looks for dog rights before people at times and I don't trust APBTs.

The problem is when every tom, dick and harry starts to breed them in their back yards, because they are so popular, you make retarded, dangerous dogs. The blame falls squarely on puppy mills too.

The breed will be the victim also and that ****ing sucks ass.

My poor dog has been attacked by two in two years. I don't trust them.

I have met and lived with some of the sweetest Pitts you'll ever meet in your life, but on a whole, I can't say that I trust the looks in their eyes.

The other problem is 99% of dog owners think they have a clue on how to handle and train a dog, but they really don't have a clue.

Daily walks? That has nothing to do with proper socialization. If you have an aggressive dog, it's your responsibility to make it learn how to socialize. End of story. If you try and can't do it, then it's still your fault because you are doing it wrong. Some people just do not have the skills, and those people should not own aggressive breeds. Or maybe any dog.

If you want an aggressive dog, that's fine. Just keep him away from me and my dog, because 1) my dog if attacked has fought back in the past and she's strong and 2) I carry a knife when I walk my dog. If it ever got too bad, your dog would probably end up in the pet cemetery. Sorry.

It was a 7 month old dog, a puppy, that was half the size of my dog. How much socialization can you have with a seven month old dog?

As far as your dog is concerned, tell me what kind of dog it is and I will tell you how much of a chance it has of repelling a Pit Bull attack.

I am one of the biggest dog lovers around, the type who looks for dog rights before people at times and I don't trust APBTs.

The problem is when every tom, dick and harry starts to breed them in their back yards, because they are so popular, you make retarded, dangerous dogs. The blame falls squarely on puppy mills too.

The breed will be the victim also and that ****ing sucks ass.

My poor dog has been attacked by two in two years. I don't trust them.

I have met and lived with some of the sweetest Pitts you'll ever meet in your life, but on a whole, I can't say that I trust the looks in their eyes.

The other problem is 99% of dog owners think they have a clue on how to handle and train a dog, but they really don't have a clue.

Wow, attacks #4 and attack #5 from pit bulls on regular ES posters / their dogs in one thread that isn't even a day old.

Wow, attacks #4 and attack #5 from pit bulls on regular ES posters / their dogs in one thread that isn't even a day old.
I have and now my father also has an Akita. One of thee most dangerous breeds of dog their is. There is a difference though.

I understand why a dog can be dangerous. I think she is the sweetest dog in the world (as long as you aren't a cat or dominate female dog), but I see when she gets that look in her eye.

I think the problem is people on every level and it sucks that because of people, the breed (and I do think in general it's a good one) will ultimately suffer.

People are just stupid and in America alone, we kill 3-4 million dogs, because of our inability to understand and respect a species of animal that has lived with us, in our society, since the beginning of time.

It was a 7 month old dog, a puppy, that was half the size of my dog. How much socialization can you have with a seven month old dog?
Talk to a dog breeder to know about how much a 7 month old should be able to do. They should actually be able to do pretty much everything. Despite what you think.

As far as your dog is concerned, tell me what kind of dog it is and I will tell you how much of a chance it has of repelling a Pit Bull attack.

Hence the knife.

I have and now my father also has an Akita. One of thee most dangerous breeds of dog their is.

I actually find Akitas to be very aggressive. People that are scared of dogs are usually extremely scared of Akitas, and they probably should be, lol. They'll end up thinking the Akita is just wagging their tail, meanwhile, there ready to strike. If you're in someone's home that owns an Akita, and they don't know you, just back off for a while. They are very protective, and will probably make a move if you just go up to pet them. It's all about the home for an Akita, at least that's what it seems to me.

Talk to a dog breeder to know about how much a 7 month old should be able to do. They should actually be able to do pretty much everything. Despite what you think.

Hence the knife.

Exactly, the first six months are a critical training time that should not be wasted ...especially with large breeds,but it is true with all.

No one should own certain breeds w/o being willing and able to invest the time and effort needed.

the same goes for kids:2cents:

Hence the knife.

You are also assuming my previous neighbor didn't put any time into socializing his dog considering the limited amount of time he had her. You are also eliminating the possibilty of her being a alpha female.

I actually find Akitas to be very aggressive. People that are scared of dogs are usually extremely scared of Akitas, and they probably should be, lol. They'll end up thinking the Akita is just wagging their tail, meanwhile, there ready to strike. If you're in someone's home that owns an Akita, and they don't know you, just back off for a while. They are very protective, and will probably make a move if you just go up to pet them. It's all about the home for an Akita, at least that's what it seems to me.

As I said, I would bet they are thee most dangerous breed around. They are 60 years removed from the wild.

But, as a responsible and intelligent dog owner, I can handle all 130lbs of her.

Wow, this has been an entertaining thread!!

Robotfire, I definitely understand your concern about the safety of your daughters and I think you are going about things in the correct manner. Definitely need to openly communicate with your neighbor in a non-threatening manner and express your concerns.

Also, I think it would be wise to discuss a fence with your neighbor. I don't think it would hurt anything and it would likely put your mind at ease...

Ok. First thing. How old is the Pit? If it's a little puppy, you could let your kids meet him/her and get to know one another. Maybe if they play with it and show it attention (since it doesn't sound like your neighbor will) the dog will come to love your kids.

Second, if it's fully grown, forget about idea #1. It's too risky to let a dog you know nothing about around your kids.

Third, I don't think it's your responsibility to get decent fencing. I understand you want to, so would I, but your neighbor should have to fork over the cash since he is the one who has the dog.

Fourth- If he won't get a fence that is secure enough to keep the dog in his yard, tell him you will call animal control EVERY time you see the dog in your yard, and worst case scenario, you will do whatever you have to to the dog to protect your kids.

It doesn't sound like this guy is very responsible, so you may have to end up calling the cops or even taking him to court if he doesn't keep the dog in his yard. You're in a real crappy situation b/c it's not fair that you and your girls have to be afraid to go in your own backyard to play etc. b/c your neighbor won't be responsible. I would say talk to him and let him know point blank that you are NOT screwing around. Let him know exactly where you stand, and if that means you have to protect your kids (if something bad were to happen) by any means necessary then so be it. Just talk to him first and see what happens. Maybe he'll surprise you and get a fence.

I understand everyones tension about my posts, but if you own a pit you know what it is capable of. I don't think there is a dog alive, akitas included, that can fight off a pit. Once it hits kill mode there is no stopping it.

I was lucky in my attack and I knew it. He zigged when he should have zagged and my hand was down his throat in an instant. From there it went to a head lock and got real nasty for him. If I would have turned loose of him he would have come back for more.

It surprises me how many pit attacks end up with the owner say they never seen their dog do that before.

I understand everyones tension about my posts, but if you own a pit you know what it is capable of. I don't think there is a dog alive, akitas included, that can fight off a pit. Once it hits kill mode there is no stopping it.

My Akita has put 2 Pitts in the hospital.

Akitas are bigger and stronger.

The locking jaw thing is untrue about Pitts.

You might be surprised how a Chow would fare also ,but it ain't a pretty sight.

Not a fan of government intrusion,but I think permits(with required training) for certain breeds might be a good idea.

certainly better than eliminating a breed.

You might be surprised how a Chow would fare also ,but it ain't a pretty sight.

Not a fan of government intrusion,but I think permits(with required training) for certain breeds might be a good idea.

certainly better than eliminating a breed.

As much as I am against the Fed over stepping, this is one place I think we need it.

Certified dog breeders only, no more puppy mills and such.

We are killing 3-4 million dogs every single year in America, something needs to be done.

I would also venture to guess, a large amount of the dogs who bite people come from mills or somebodies back yard breeding.

simple. the first time that piece of **** enters your yard, walk up to it and slice it's throat from ear to ear. Point ****ing blank. Then carry the blood spurting hunk of **** and splatter it on the front door of your neighbor's house. Every one of those worthless things should be exterminated. Don't take the let's wait and see attitude. You'll be sorry.

I like the way you think...

Introducing them to the dog and teaching them what to watch out for is gonna do more than any three ft fence(especially chicken wire) that might slow it down two seconds:2cents:

For a one year old and a three year old?

Please tell me you're joking.

And ftr, nowhere did I advocate building a 3 foot fence or chicken wire.

Archived