Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What does Jim Zorn have against Devin Thomas?

shakinaiken

i've seen Devin in on a handful of plays, one of them was key third down conversion where he put asante on the ground with a fake... looks pretty good to me... i understand he's a rookie, but he's one of your most explosive playmakers, and in a game where we need points, it makes sense to play him...

1) He needs to know the playbook and his routes. Most likely, he has not accomplished that and therefore is not in but for a handful of plays

2) he's committing penalties that have been costly

But give him time. I suspect by the end of the season he should supplant Thrash on the depth chart. Right now, the way the team is playing, he's not vital to the offense.

Remember when he was drafted, that he was very raw but has potential. Then he was not in proper shape at training camp, and said himself he has had trouble adjusting to the NFL cornerbacks.

Give the young man some time. he will get there.

Zorn is frustrated with Thomas because he continues to make the same mistakes. Again today he helped the Eagles end a drive by getting a pass interference call when he wasn't even the intended receiver on the play where Santana Moss caught what would have been a first down in Eagles territory.

that's 3 pass interference penalties in 3 weeks.

rookies are going to make mistakes.

Heyer did last year.

But what set Heyer apart was that Bugel indicated he listened and learned and improved during the season - ie, stopping committing the same penalties week after week.

Thomas doesn't seem to be getting the message.

Reference the pass interference penulty, I saw a rookie starting to block to early. He was not interfering, but blocking for Moss. He just started too early prior to Moss catching the pass. A rookie mistake.

If you are going to play rookies you have to expect mistakes. I like how Zorn has limited Thomas to certain plays. He is learning and gaining experience. He is showing that when he finally gets it he is going to be a good player.

Patience is the word for both Thomas and Kelly.

yes he has shown he can be quite an explosive player however he is still young, learning the pro game - you see he still makes rookie mistakes like getting called multiple times for offensive pass interference, which today totally killed one of our drives. once he can put his mental development on the same level as his physical skills, he'll get his playing time.

He'll be fine only after he learns that his part of a TEAM and you can't let 47 other players down on Sunday with boneheaded plays.

It's one thing to get a push in the back on a block downfield when you are trying to help a teammate score a touchdown, it is another to take penalties in coverage downfield when the ball isn't even coming your way :)

Gotta learn rook.............

He's being slowly worked into the offense at a position that often takes players 2 or 3 years to become highly productive. We're winning games without him and our other two rook receivers so what's there to complain about? Jackson is getting more touches but they're 2-3 and we're 4-1. Take your pick.

Thomas probably has negative yardage with those stupid penalties. Really stupid penalties. Or I should say penalty, because he repeats the same stupid mistake every time. You want us to go backwards?

Actually, this was a different stupid mistake, since he was trying to block rather than trying to get open.

Jason

This thread makes no sense.....

although a redskins fan in arizona make less sense... obviously the thread was an impulse thread made at halftime... i was confused as to why he wasnt in there when he seems to be playing well... however later on after he devin made a critical penalty on a key third down, my question was answered...the thread is useless now after the game

Archived