Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What does Jim Zorn have against Devin Thomas?

shakinaiken

i've seen Devin in on a handful of plays, one of them was key third down conversion where he put asante on the ground with a fake... looks pretty good to me... i understand he's a rookie, but he's one of your most explosive playmakers, and in a game where we need points, it makes sense to play him...

What does Jim Zorn have against Devin Thomas?

I don't know what Zorn has against Devin. But, i'll tell you what i have against him. Despite his obvious physical gifts, the kid f'ups too much. He builds trust with a key 3rd down conversion then loses it again with a bonehead pass interference where it looks like he didn't know the play. BUT i still think he should have been in on the sideline route where Thrash drops the ball but gets bailed out by the ref. The Skins will be more explosive once this knucklehead can earn the coaches Zorn's trust.

:2cents:

With the upcoming schedule, and the quality of opponents ... I think Coach Zorn may play both rookies a bit to give them real game time experience.

Devin also needs to work on not getting penalties - and, killing drives.

Sure, it would be great to play Thomas more, if he DIDNT commit crippling penalties.

When Thomas gets his head in the game, then I think Zorn should put him in the game. It hasnt happened yet.

I think this sums it up pretty damn good.

at least this kid is making mistakes that are fixable... today he engages the corner just a second too early (instead of letting the corner engage him) and gets a flag...

Its encouraging that JZ is using him (and it was good to see Kelly on the field today too). It would be a different story if he wasn't on the field at all. That would be a higher indicator to me that he was a f-up.

My gut tells me the next deep, play action, go route goes his way.

i've seen Devin in on a handful of plays, one of them was key third down conversion where he put asante on the ground with a fake... looks pretty good to me... i understand he's a rookie, but he's one of your most explosive playmakers, and in a game where we need points, it makes sense to play him...

Devin is a rookie and has commited 3 very costly penalties.

I think that combined with him being a rookie, all of the games have been extremely close and you don't want to take a chance with a rookie deflecting, fumbling or running wrong routes.

With the next 3 games coming we should be able to establish healthy leads. I think Malcolm Kelly is 100% healthy now--he was held out today because he isn't comfortable in the offense yet. We will see a lot of Kelly and Thomas, maybe even more of Fred Davis.

I think the next 3, maybe 4, games will be extremely important in integrating those 2 WR rookies to get them comfortable for another tough stretch after the bye week.

What is the point of this thread if we are getting it done with the right people? We are doing it without the rookie and you want to give the ball MORE? Makes no sense maybe if we were losing and needed the change of personnel.

please read the entire contents of this thread before posting a comment... you will find your answer to that question inside...

I really think the opposing DBs are getting in his head and forcing Devin to prove his worthiness as a blocker and player. Our defensive backs need to take him to school in how to conceal his excitement in running his routes for the game.

I was surprise to see Kelly suited up. I really think Zorn will give both of them more looks in the next 3 games.

Umm when you are injured and you miss signifcant time in the preseason and don't know the playbook as well as the other receivers. Plus it was reported in the media and on this board as well that Thomas had some work to do on his route running. We will see what happens though. I like what I have seen thus far from him, I just would like to see Malcolm Kelly show me something.

because he does stupid stuff like pass interference..

Bingo. I dont think I've ever seen a WR get called so much for it. Stop trying to be Micheal Irvin and go out and play.

That,a nd he was real raw as a route runner coming out of college. Give him a year, this year was going to be a wash anyways for him.

Devin Thomas is a rookie. He has made rookie-mistakes. He has a bit to learn, and will get it, but in time. We are 4-1 and you are worried about a rookie? Am I missing something here?

I didnt like that PI, call. I mean he was starting to block a fraction of a second early, plus the ball was not even thrown to him. The ball went to moss and probably was designed to go to him. DT started blocking down field and the refs should have not thrown that flag. His catch on 3rd down was big and that screen to get us in the redzone setting up ARE touchdown to cooley. I think he and malcolm will get A LOT of PT in these next 3 games because we should win against St. Louis pretty big, I mean everybody has blow them out. And that could be the smartest move because it would get their confidence up for the final stretch

In previous regimes I dont think we see either on the field. Showing up out of shape, then getting injured, maybe slow to learn the playbook; IMO they would be candidates for B Lloyd 08. But Zorn keeps them involved as much as possible and it is not costing us games. Credit Zorn for making due with what he has and trying to get them to be involved.

Thomas has as many catches as he has penalties. Not to mention probably more penalty yards than receiving yards. He has been very aggravating thus far. I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say he's played worse than any other wr drafted in the 2nd round this year. I just hope malcolm kelly isn't as bad when he gets on the field. Make no mistake, I'm not calling them busts just yet, but they haven't been impressive or even good either.

I was just about to start a thread praising Thomas' game today, but I will just do it here.

I thought Devin had a good game. He had one very nice catch where he stopped quickly and showed his good hands having to reach out. He also showed his strength and elusiveness getting away from some tackles for a first down. Both catches kept the drives going to eventual scores. The penalty he got called on him was bull****, he was blocking, not pass interference. Overall I like what I've seen from him, penalties aside.

I don't think he's really shown anything so far. He looks extremely confused out there. Let's not forget that we had to burn a time out the other week because (I believe) there was an illegal motion (or maybe it was too many men on the field?) involving either Thomas or Kelly (I'm going to assume it was Thomas). Also, didn't he have a false start? That's like 5 negative plays.

I've never seen someone look so lost on the football field.

HOWEVER I will say this. He looks very athletic, and he has nice speed. I also like that he's been able to make things happen with the ball in his hands. It just amazes me how unbelievably raw this guy is.

Archived