Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So... was Fred Davis a wasted pick?

Saqs

Fred Davis was a wasted pick. And I mean that in regards to how much he will be on the field.

In terms of talent..I have no problem with Fred. In fact, in terms of pure athleticism..Davis is the most talented TE on the roster.

But IMO, that pick would have been better served on another position. Particularly, a O-lineman, LB or CB. :2cents:

There are two issues here that make Fred Davis a good choice:

1) Cooley is arguably the centerpiece of our passing attack. If, god forbid, he were to go down, we would be utterly screwed without a pass-catching tight end. Davis fits the bill there and with some training could help fill that void if needed.

2) If one talented pass-catching TE is good, then two is even better. Imagine the sets we can run with both Davis and Cooley on the field. Who do you cover considering LBs would have trouble covering those guys. Do you cheat your DBs and compromise yourself to our speedy WRs over the top? Do you put more DBs on the field and potentially compromomise your run defense? Zorn's offense seems to be based heavily in the art of deception. Having a weapon like Davis only increases his ability to decieve the opponent.

After 3 games we are calling Davis a wasted pick? Take note that we have not seen the entire offense. Nor have any of the rookies really seen a lot of playing time or made an impact. ( well Durant Brooks sees the field on a regular basis)

Does anyone remember how long it took Sean Taylor to get consistent playing time? Does anyone remember how long it took for Campbell to see the field?

Patience is a virtue. Why don't we show some patience?

He's a rookie and a talented one at that. I don't see the advantage with have to pass catching TEs on the field at one time. He is essentially Cooley's backup because of his pass-catching ability and playmaking ability. Yoder is the blocking TE in the offense who can also catch if need be. I don't think there is anything wrong with Davis right now and its really a case of just having a wealth of talent that everyone get one the field at one time. Davis will get his opportunity once the offense really takes flight but unless he surpasses Yoder's blocking ability, I don't see why we would see both Cooley and Davis on the field at the same time. :2cents:

I think that Zorn will implement more 2 TE sets for Cooley and Davis as time goes on. Those guys can create mismatches in the defense.

We haven't seen all of Zorn's playbook, and I'm sure he'll continue to add new wrinkles to his packages as he gets to know more of each player's skills.

What makes you think that? He's been relying more and more on the 3WR and 4wr sets. You think he's going to switch from opening the offense up to a gibbs-like "big" formation? I dont.

What makes you think that? He's been relying more and more on the 3WR and 4wr sets. You think he's going to switch from opening the offense up to a gibbs-like "big" formation? I dont.

It's still early. Let the team and Zorn implement the offense he had in place, see what they can do, THEN he will start trying to develop two TE set schemes to even further throw off defenses.

The point is not to go to a gibbs-like "big" formation. He's going to use the 2 TE sets to open the offense more because the defenses won't know what's going on. You could set up with 2TE, 1WR, 1RB, Cooley motions to the outside, all of a sudden a defense that was prepared for run bc of 2TE "big" set is faced with a passing formation creating more mismatches. Even without motion, there's no way to tell whether they're passing or running because they have to respect the pass catching threat of Cooley AND Davis.

After 3 games we are calling Davis a wasted pick? Take note that we have not seen the entire offense. Nor have any of the rookies really seen a lot of playing time or made an impact. ( well Durant Brooks sees the field on a regular basis)

Does anyone remember how long it took Sean Taylor to get consistent playing time? Does anyone remember how long it took for Campbell to see the field?

Patience is a virtue. Why don't we show some patience?

At least Brooks was at a needed position (and a low round draft pick)....we dont even hear Davis's name.

Look at the way Dallas is utilizing their additional TEs to complement Whitten, to great effect. Martellus Bennett has already gotten onto the field, made a few big plays, and is going to eventually force opposing defenses to scheme for more than T.O. and Whitten in that passing attack. Davis can be used with similar success.

However, we desperately needed DL/OL impact with that pick, much moreso than going with 3 receiving options (all of which had major question marks). Hopefully Davis pans out, Thomas improves and Kelly actually gets healthy at some point, and our skill positions are covered for years. Because next year, we better seriously start adding major, talented depth to the OL and DL, with next rights going to the LB and CB units.

However, we desperately needed DL/OL impact with that pick, much moreso than going with 3 receiving options (all of which had major question marks). Hopefully Davis pans out, Thomas improves and Kelly actually gets healthy at some point, and our skill positions are covered for years. Because next year, we better seriously start adding major, talented depth to the OL and DL, with next rights going to the LB and CB units.

Course, the one OL we did draft has been inactive all three games. God, he must have been a horrible pick. :rolleyes:

Fact is, no matter who we drafted they probably weren't going to see a lot of time unless someone went down. The only place where I could have seen a guy maybe make an instant impact would have been at DT (which the team did identify as a need). Course, there wasn't a whole lot of selection there without reaching for a guy. (Merling and Laws could have both been looked at and both were picked before we could select.)

Jason

If you go back and watch these last 3 games, we DO use 2 TE sets.

It's just that right now it's mostly Yoder and Cooley. Why is that a big deal 3 games into the season? If we're 3 games into the 2009 season and it's still Yoder and Cooley then we can start to think about Davis as a "wasted pick".

Count how many times Yoder is in the game, and realize that in many (most even) of those cases, Cooley is in there as well. When the team is ready and Davis is ready I think we'll see more of Cooley and Davis in the same set.

That will require:

1.) The team going deeper into the playbook

2.) Both Cooley AND Davis learning to block so that we can keep one in and send one out without the defense knowing which is which.

Yes' date=' because the skins didn't need him, the skins needed OLs / DLs / LBs and there was plenty of them at that pick. I'm not saying Davis is not a good player, its just another mouth to feed on an already talented filled offense. I don't know how they'll use him[/quote']

As I recall most of the good DE and DTs were gone. If not for merling being gone a few picks earlier we likely would have taken him instead of Thomas I think.

Now I'll admit I drew a big question mark when I heard us take both Thomas and Davis, only because I was really hoping for a big time DL, the problem was the ones at those two spots that were worth it were gone. Of the other lineman taken around the time Davis and Kelly were who has performed better? has anyone? I doubt they have. Having an extra tight end is a good thing. Dallas has used two of their tight ends a few times, so let's not write Davis off just yet. Lets just be thankful that we haven't NEEDED those rookies to step up and perform at a high level yet. That's what we should be saying.

I think you really need 3 True Tight Ends though I mean on the play Yoder got his catch for a TD, we had Lorenzo Alexander as an Eligble Tight end. Imagine the panic if we had three tight ends, all that could go out and catch a pass. I think short yardage, and goal line packages are where Davis will get more reps in the future.

I do think though that for next year we need to look at OLB (Washington), DE/DT, and another Guard Center type early if we can, maybe another Corner. We would have this year but everyone and their uncle was going defense early the value just wasn't there.

It's still early. Let the team and Zorn implement the offense he had in place, see what they can do, THEN he will start trying to develop two TE set schemes to even further throw off defenses.

The point is not to go to a gibbs-like "big" formation. He's going to use the 2 TE sets to open the offense more because the defenses won't know what's going on. You could set up with 2TE, 1WR, 1RB, Cooley motions to the outside, all of a sudden a defense that was prepared for run bc of 2TE "big" set is faced with a passing formation creating more mismatches. Even without motion, there's no way to tell whether they're passing or running because they have to respect the pass catching threat of Cooley AND Davis.

Wait... 5 Lineman + 2 Tight Ends + 1 WR + 1 RB + 1 QB = That's ten players. I think you are missing someone....

Didnt we score in a 3 TE formation? I seem to to remember the announcers talking about that.

He might be the TE of the future but it was a wasted pick. We needed help on both lines, in the secondary and even a back up LB would have been a better choice than a TE.

Most teams didn't have Davis graded higher than a 3rd rounder, so if Zorn or whoever really wanted the guy they could have got him in the 3rd round. The reason the skins gave for drafting him was that he was the best player available and his grade was too high to pass up on. That scares me when I think there where at least 20 guys rated ahead of Davis on Mayock's, Kiffer's and Scouts.com big board at the time.

Instead of taking a D lineman which we so desperately needed, we had to waste a 2nd round and a 6th round pick on J.Taylor, once 1 injury popped up.

Horton is a nice suprise, but we also needed corner help and could have used the Davis pick to help in that area. Now we all hold our collective breath to make sure that Springs can stay healthy all week so its not Smoot & Rogers as the top 2.

Archived