Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So... was Fred Davis a wasted pick?

Saqs

With Cooley entrenched as the stud TE of this O, what's the future for this guy? Yoders future replacement? Is he much of a blocker to even be that?

Just trying to think of what were the plans for him when they drafted this kid. He's obviously got some talent in catching the football but he's not seen much action so far.

With Cooley entrenched as the stud TE of this O, what's the future for this guy? Yoders future replacement? Is he much of a blocker to even be that?

Just trying to think of what were the plans for him when they drafted this kid. He's obviously got some talent in catching the football but he's not seen much action so far.

Well Kelly and Thomas haven't seen much action either. They are all rookies and need time to learn the league and the play book. Give them a little more time I'm sure you will see him in there more. I mean it's only been 3 weeks.

Out of all of our high picks, Kelly has been the biggest waste. (For now)

We're paying him big money to wear a warm-up suit.

See, I'm mad that Kelly isn't playing, but at least I'm hearing positive signs about him in practice. I don't even hear Davis's name any more. Does he exist? Is he sleeping? Did he get traded or injured? Tell us something....

Kelly will probably turn out to be much more of a wasted pick than Davis. I think Zorn is working Davis in slowly in limited packages. I have a feeling that by mid-season, we'll see Davis making at least a couple nice plays per game.

Like others have said, it's way too early. We'll know for sure who was a hit (Horton) and who was a bust (Kelly?, Brooks?) at the end of the year. But you can't really proclaim "busted pick" just 3 games into the season, especially when a rookie has 2 proven vets ahead of him on the depth chart.

Wait. So Thomas has one game, two offensive PI's and he's the next big thing.

But Kelly has been on the shelf and Davis, who was the only one of the three receivers/TE that were drafted that looked good in the preseason is a wasted pick?

Wow, is there a full moon tonight? Too many nonsensical threads today..

Wait. So Thomas has one game, two offensive PI's and he's the next big thing.

But Kelly has been on the shelf and Davis, who was the only one of the three receivers/TE that were drafted that looked good in the preseason is a wasted pick?

Wow, is there a full moon tonight? Too many nonsensical threads today..

It's a question mainly due to what we've heard about the kid (nothing) coupled with our current TE situation. Maybe because no one asked, maybe because we don't need him to suit up right now, who knows. At least we know why MK is on the shelf.

You have to look at it in terms of his future value. Lots of rookies don't get playing time, and many rookies get drafted for depth purposes with the thought that they will eventually replace the people in front of him. Remember when H.B. Blades looked so impressive last offseason? Many are touting him as Fletcher's heir to the MLB throne, but he hasn't seen the field much, and rightly so.

It's the same deal with Davis. Cooley is one of the better TEs in the league, and Yoder is a capable backup. Davis was drafted for depth, and when he's ready (which he's obviously not, yet), he'll play. The same can be said of someone like Mike Jenkins. He was one of the top CBs in the draft, and yet he's not seeing the field due to Terrance Newman, Anthony Henry, and Adam Jones ahead of him.

You have to look at it in terms of his future value. Lots of rookies don't get playing time, and many rookies get drafted for depth purposes with the thought that they will eventually replace the people in front of him. Remember when H.B. Blades looked so impressive last offseason? Many are touting him as Fletcher's heir to the MLB throne, but he hasn't seen the field much, and rightly so.

It's the same deal with Davis. Cooley is one of the better TEs in the league, and Yoder is a capable backup. Davis was drafted for depth, and when he's ready (which he's obviously not, yet), he'll play. The same can be said of someone like Mike Jenkins. He was one of the top CBs in the draft, and yet he's not seeing the field due to Terrance Newman, Anthony Henry, and Adam Jones ahead of him.

This goes into the whole thing of why draft a TE if we don't need one....I tried to fool myself into defending the pick, but I really wanted a DE/DT. Aah, well, we can just hope for the best. Maybe we'll see him taking over for Yoder a bit this week.

That's a fairly decent assumption but it may not be the reason. Yoder plays a completely different role than Cooley does in this offense and it may be that Davis at this time is ill suited to be the blocking TE in this offense.

It's a question mainly due to what we've heard about the kid (nothing) coupled with our current TE situation. Maybe because no one asked, maybe because we don't need him to suit up right now, who knows. At least we know why MK is on the shelf.

No news is better than bad news about a player. If Davis was stinking up the joint during practice or wasn't getting the offense, one of the news vultures would have picked up the scent of failure already.

My guess is that Zorn has not implemented any of the two TE sets which would require two pass catching TE's instead of the typical catching/blocking TE sets that we have seen so far.

When Davis gets any time in the offense is completely up to Zorn and known by him only.

He's really insurance in case Cooley were to go down. I think Davis is a player but the pick was the wrong pick. Although I agree we need help on the lines, I don't agree with those who say we shouldn't have drafted the two wideouts. I think Reinhart at guard is a very good young prospect and IMO if we just used that 2nd rounder on a young lineman on either side of the ball I don't think there would have been many complaints.

Again though, if Cooley ever goes down we'll need this guy to step in big time.

Yes, because the skins didn't need him, the skins needed OLs / DLs / LBs and there was plenty of them at that pick. I'm not saying Davis is not a good player, its just another mouth to feed on an already talented filled offense. I don't know how they'll use him

See, I'm mad that Kelly isn't playing, but at least I'm hearing positive signs about him in practice. I don't even hear Davis's name any more. Does he exist? Is he sleeping? Did he get traded or injured? Tell us something....

LOL, seriously what's going on with him? I don't think he was a wasted pick. They went more with the philosophy BPA, and he's got talent, and as the offense gets better and jc more comfortable, we may see some 3 te sets, or cooley lined up in the slot or as a 4th reciever. I think he's just a rookie, and no reason to hurry him in. Yoder's more than serviceable, caught a td just this week, and is a decent blocker with a lot of heart

Archived