Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My SAT Scores

dcnativenerd

I'm with the other people here when I say take them again and your scores should go up. I took the SAT's the first time my sophomore year (didn't really study or anything for them and got something like a 950). Took em again a year later, did some studying and took an SAT math course my HS offered and got an 1120 (590 Math, 530 Verbal [those numbers may have to be switched, I don't remember]). I never took the new SAT so I can't tell you anything about that. Got into the two schools I applied too (York College [which I started at and hated] and Salisbury University [which I am still in and love]).

Take a piece of advice from me, don't make the same stupid mistake I made and only visit one school. York was the first one I visited and I thought it was exactly what I wanted so I didn't look anywhere else and it turned out that York was horrible for me so I transferred to Salisbury U. after one semester and have never regretted that decision for a minute.

But good luck my friend. Trust me, whatever happens will happen and it will be for the best. And don't discount smaller schools. Salisbury is a small school (7,000 undergrads) but it is just as good academically as U. of Maryland.

Don't mean to be an ass but I'll be blunt like Mr. S

I went to TJHSST (number one high school in the nation), graduated with a 3.5 and a 2200 on the new SAT. UVA, which is just as competitive as UNC did not accept me, though I was offered early admission at William and Mary and I got into JMU and obviously Tech.

If it's still how it used to be, going to TJ might actually count against you as far as admission to UVA.

Awesome! I'll be dead before my 30th birthday and be unappreciated until I've been gone for 15 years. Let's DO IT! :D

Are you good at getting others to do your work?

Management.

Are you good at getting others to do stupid things?

Sales.

Are you good at the above plus good at taking credit for good things others do and shifting blame to others for your mistakes?

Damn, competition.

Are you good at getting others to do your work?

Management.

Are you good at getting others to do stupid things?

Sales.

Are you good at the above plus good at taking credit for good things others do and shifting blame to others for your mistakes?

Damn, competition.

politics?

At the end of the day, your undergrad is important but if you don't get into your first choice its not the end of the world. UVA was my first choice but I didn't work hard enough in high school to get in. I'm smart enough, could have transferred but I love Tech and have no interest in going to UVA.
Yeah, what he said.

DiMH28,

I think you weren't done in by your SATs, you were done in by other stuff. I went to UVA and like 1/4th of all the engineers there went to TJ... they take way too many students from TJ... I think TJ is one of the schools that meets the UVA quota, probably one of the few that has a UVA quota. I had a 1390 from Catholic HS and used UVA as my back-up (this was ~ 10 years ago however... man I feel old)... wanted to get into Duke, Northwestern, and Notre Dame... ended up wait listed at Notre Dame... didn't want to go to UVA but it was a blast... undergrad is way overrated.

Being a member of ExtremeSkins is a service activity and involvement in outside activities...right? :type: :silly:

Exactly...:D Okay...maybe not so much.....

She asked if he was involved with sports. haha.

What's wrong with me asking that? Just b/c someone's a member of ES doesn't mean they are actively engaged in sports.

Well, I'm a member of this thing my local newspaper does where they employ high school students as reporters. I've been published quite a few times. I'm a member of my school's marching band and...well, I guess that's it. Those are the two things I'm really good at. Music and writing.

Hey, keep your chin up, those are two very good EC activities. Make sure you make the admissions committee aware of this. :) And no, you are not going to starve.

UNC is very competitive; its a good school, but the number of applicants they get makes it tough to get in. Your scores may not be good enough to get in out of state.

IMO, college is what you make of it and high schoolers put way too much into what schools to get into and put their eggs in one basket. You could be happy at a dozen other schools. If you're concerned about your scores I would recommend applying to schools in state.

But hey, if your heart's set on UNC then move to NC and go to a community college. They might have guaranteed transfer programs and if not, its so much easier to transfer. You have to get good grades though. You'll save tuition money as well.

If it's still how it used to be, going to TJ might actually count against you as far as admission to UVA.
Yeah, what he said.

DiMH28,

I think you weren't done in by your SATs, you were done in by other stuff. I went to UVA and like 1/4th of all the engineers there went to TJ... they take way too many students from TJ... I think TJ is one of the schools that meets the UVA quota, probably one of the few that has a UVA quota. I had a 1390 from Catholic HS and used UVA as my back-up (this was ~ 10 years ago however... man I feel old)... wanted to get into Duke, Northwestern, and Notre Dame... ended up wait listed at Notre Dame... didn't want to go to UVA but it was a blast... undergrad is way overrated.

Yup almost everyone from TJ applies to UVA so it actually makes it harder to get into UVA from there. Out of my class of 411, I think 105 went to UVA. Out of TJ you need about a 3.6-3.7 thats the cut off, so it was GPA and all my damn friends that wanted to go and had better grades. At the end of the day, most of my good friends from high school are at UVA and while UVA will always be a rival theres no true hatred for the Hoos from this Hokie.

Though I love kicking your asses in football.

:D

Take the SAT a second time.

Almost everyone improves on the second shot, and the SAT (unfortunately) is very very important in admissions. My score went up 70 points the second time, which is a damn good thing since all I really had to show back then was a strong SAT. Luckily, we late bloomers had an easier time of it a few decades ago, and a great college took a chance on me. Same might happen for you. :cheers:

Just take them again.

Speaking of which, I'm glad I didn't have to take the new SAT's.

I scored 1450/1600 on the old one (780 Math / 670 Verbal) and was able to get into a good college despite my mediocre GPA (3.0). After I was already accepted, I was asked to take the SAT II Writing for placement... I scored in the bottom 10%. :(

I got a 1950, 1350 on the old one. I'd say take it again, practice on algebra and geometry. Maybe work with one of your teachers after school or something? If you're out of state it may be good enough to get into UNC, but in state it may be more difficult. Just take it again if you have the time, you'll be fine.

Like others have said, college is what you make it. I didn't even visit JMU, I just knew they had a great Teacher's program and lots of women. I love it here.

No, not grad school. Just college. Things are very competitive down here, even for undergrads.

Don't sweat it. If you can not get in the school you want you will be fine. People put too much importance on college, yes it is important but not to that extent. If you feel one day you will be going to grad school then you do not want to get in debt by getting your undergrad.

Lets say worst case you can't go to the school you want. Even if you had to one year at a community college you would then be able to transfer anywhere. The trick about college is one you are in you can go wherever you want.

When I took the SAT's we could only get 1600 :)

Practice, take a study course and repeat the test. Likely you will do a lot better.

Tests like the SAT are partly about your ability to take the test as your innate ability.

Depends on his study habits too. But most likely I agree.

I have worked with testing and amazed at some of the people that passed, and some of the people that failed.

If you really love UNC, don't give up on it yet; as others have suggested, study and give it another shot. And even if you don't do as well as you hope on the second one, you can still apply; different schools weigh test scores differently.

But be sure to spend some time finding other schools that you might like. Why my counselor advised me -- and I thought this made a lot of sense -- was that I should have at least one "reach" school (a school that I loved, but might not get into); a few "good fits" (likely to gain admission, but not guaranteed), and a "safety" school, where I knew that I'd get in (barring an arrest for some sort of violent rampage). It sounds like you know what your top choice is, but be sure to take the time to look at some alternatives, too.

Practice, take a study course and repeat the test. Likely you will do a lot better.

Tests like the SAT are partly about your ability to take the test as your innate ability.

Yep, study courses/books really can help. If you're someone who learns well by reading on his own, then prep books are a pretty good value. Plan so that you have enough time to work through them, and carefully go over your practice tests after you're done. Make sure that you get a book that explains all of the answers in the back, so that you can learn from your mistakes.

And you might even be surprised to find that one of the questions in your practice book ends up on the real test. I'm pretty sure that happened to me once or twice. (It definitely happens with AP tests. Practice tests are just old tests, and questions get recycled every so often.)

id agree on everyone about getting into UNC. my cousin is two years older than me and UNC was her top choice. she graduated from elenor roosevelt in 06, i think. but she was a musician, so that was what got her in. she was one of only 2 out of state students accepted into the music program that year.

for the SAT scores. dont know much about the new test with the 2400, but the 1700 score seems a bit low.

when i took the old SAT, i got an 1100, i think. had a 3.65 GPA (would have been higher had i actually paid attention and studied/tried/cared). i got into every school i applied to. granted i was going specialized so i was only applying to good art school or journalism schools since i was doing photography. then when i transferred, was 100% on acceptance there as well.

and someone mentioned the SAT IIs. take them if you can. i took math, history, and english a month or so after the SAT. and i placed out of all of them, which would have given me enough to start college as a sophomore. but winthrops art program didnt accept SAT II scores, so they were going to make me take the classes anyway. so i only went in as a 2nd semester freshman with 18 hours instead of closer to 40.

i got a 1400 on the old 1600 system.

760 Math

640 Verbal.

Back in 1999 i got into James Madison (JMU) with a 1230 (630 math, 600 verbal) and 3.178 GPA. Not sure if that will get you in there anymore these days. Also i remember taking a writing portion on my SAT, but it was the SAT board gauging how well a writing section would work on the SATs and it didnt count for anything.

paging hokie4redskins and skinshokiefan.

Haha don't worry I'm a true Hokie, I've met enough douchebags at UVA that I can't stand that I have a strong dislike for most of the students there.

I try to be respectful but whenever I visit I get the regular trash talk that involves calling me trailer trash (I live in Fairfax County, second richest county in the country), telling me that I didn't get in (I didn't but I guarantee I'm smarter than quite a few of the frat boys that talk **** to me), and other BS that really annoys me.

So **** UVA

Archived