Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps & Nats are more exciting than 'Skins

GibbsRedskin

Not its not. The best team basketball has won since Jordan left. Its the same lame excuse i hear from people who don't like the NBA. Next its the thug reason

There is not really much good team ball since well before Jordan left. Not in comparison to the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, Knicks of old. It's just not out there very much anymore, you see flashes, but nothing like it was before.

There are teams today that play better teamball than others but that's just because of what you have to compare it to.

Look, I am a diehard Redskins fan but it's very difficult to be excited about a Jim Zorn/Vinny Cerrato led team when we could have brought back much of the same staff to coach these same players. It looks to many of us like more of the same, and it's very difficult to get pumped up for this season.

Contrast this with the Nationals and Capitals. The Caps have the most exciting young player in hockey (yes, better than Crosby) and are on the brink of the playoffs. Even if they miss it this year, clearly they will be a major contender next year and for years to come.

Last night's Nationals game was one of the most exciting, riveting events in D.C. sports history. The ending of the game couldn't have been scripted better, and showcased another incredibly young, exciting D.C. player to a national audience. I feel like Ryan Zimmerman and Alex Ovetchkin will be the faces of Washington-area sports for years to come.

I hope the Redskins can do something to spur similar excitement. Right now, things are frankly looking bleak compared to these two other young, promising franchises.

By the way, anyone who flames me for this post needs to recognize and remember that I LOVE the Redskins and want them to prove me wrong.

Dude I love hockey. I'm Canadian so its in my blood. The thing is that if the caps packed up and left. Which they have been in danger of in the past, after a year or two no one would care. The 18,000 fans the verizon holds would be headed for Fedex's 92,000. Its just not the national sport around there. If the skins ever left or folded or whatever there would be a riot. Ovetchkin is awsome yes. I challenge you. Walk around (NOT IN A SPORTS BAR)and ask random people around your area who he is. My guess is they wont have a clue. Ask them who Clinton Portis, Santana Moss or Chris Cooley is and I'm guessing around 85-90 % of those people will know at least who they play for. The opposite would happen where I'm from, however most knowledgeable fans would never say Alex is better than Sidney. If you want to debate that one start a thread in the tailgate. I'll be there. I have no comment on the baseball or basketball but I'll say this. I would rather go to an NFL game and watch any crappy teams play than fall asleep with everyone else at a baseball game.

Thats my story and I'm stickn' to it. Football reigns supreme.

The Redskins are always #1 for me. but that doesn't mean i don't love the nats and caps and wizards too. Its not a competition. I want Washington to be the best sports city in the country. And i dare anyone to go to the caps game on tuesday and say hockey is boring. If you are open minded about it and go see a game live, your opinion on hockey might just change. It is really a great sport.

I want Washington to be the best sports city in the country.

And it breaks my heart every year when we don't win a championship. Damn that D.C. curse!

And i dare anyone to go to the caps game on tuesday and say hockey is boring. If you are open minded about it and go see a game live, your opinion on hockey might just change. It is really a great sport.

Hockey is a very exciting sport to watch and television doesn't do it any justice. Caps games are the 2nd most exciting games behind the Skins. Hockey games are definitely a lot faster paced than football games and they don't take as many stupid TV timeouts which really slows down a football game in person. Nothing compares to a Redskins game tailgating-wise, NOTHING!

I can't believe there are people on a Redskins board arguing how that Nats are going to take over the city in a few years. Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? I'm happy the Nats are in a new ballpark and hope they do well, but for those of us who live and breathe football it would never even be a contest. The Nats have generated some excitement but if they don't make the postseason in a couple years people will forget about them. Building with young players can be a good strategy, but you can end up looking like the Pirates just as easily as you can the Braves. There are families who plan their entire weekends around watching the Skins, somehow I don't see that happening with the Nationals any time soon. After Gibbs left there were no guarantees as far as finding good coaches, I would've preferred Williams or Russ Grimm, but I'm definitely excited to see what a young offensive mind can do with this team. We'll see how excited the fan base is when Art and DG go into the Hall, for now I'm looking forward to the draft.

This is precisely why we suck as a sports town. Cities like NY, Philly, Chicago, Boston all support "all" the teams not just football. That is why the FedEx experience sucks so much. No body cares about the area, just the Redskins. I grew up watching all sports in this town and they all are important to me. Redskins, of course are #1 but that doesn't mean I don't love the others. If the Caps or Nats win a Championship it might mean just as much if not more because it will have been the first. So don't try to get these Skins fans to root for the city because most don't care. Go Caps. Go Nats.

I disagree with the premise that DC sucks as a sports town.

The Skins own all the attendance records.

The Wizards and Caps have pretty good attendance (especially considering the quality of both franchises over the years).

The Nats it's too early to tell but so far so good with them and support.

Where we get this undeserved bad rep as a sports town is because of all the carpetbaggers that we gotta deal with around here. So unfortunately we have a bigger representation of opposing fans at our local sports teams games. But that has to do with the nature of the area and the jobs here and not because the natives don't support the local teams and become bandwagoners for other teams.

And as a native DC born (though MD suburb dwelling for much of my life) fan, I'm right there with you in support of all the local teams. The Caps are going to be alot of fun for the next 10 years. With that roster (talent and age) they are going to be great for a while and I fully expect a Cup sooner rather than later.

This is precisely why we suck as a sports town. Cities like NY, Philly, Chicago, Boston all support "all" the teams not just football. That is why the FedEx experience sucks so much. No body cares about the area, just the Redskins. I grew up watching all sports in this town and they all are important to me. Redskins, of course are #1 but that doesn't mean I don't love the others. If the Caps or Nats win a Championship it might mean just as much if not more because it will have been the first. So don't try to get these Skins fans to root for the city because most don't care. Go Caps. Go Nats.

i agree....it's a shame that we don't have Washington Area Sports Fans around here as much as we have Redskins fans.

This city has LOTS of good teams who are competetive and fun to watch. Football is fun to go see live and it's fast and that's why people like it.

but let me tell ya, for those of you who are down on hockey and don't think it's even comparable to football....learn the rules to hockey and go see a game live at the Phone Booth and you tell me which sport is faster paced and has more action. I love the Skins, but the truth is, seeing it live.....hockey is faster and more exciting than football simply because football has more breaks between the action.

Don't get me wrong, The Skins are still #1 and football is my favorite sport. But if there's one sport that can hold a candle to it live, it's hockey in my opinion.

Seeing as the Skins aren't playing right now, and the Caps are pushing for the playoffs, and the Nats just started, yeah, I guess they would be more exciting than the Skins right now.

The OP should have modified his post to include the above bolded part. I hope that's what he meant.

BTW, tonight is a HUGE game for the Caps. And at home. It will be a playoff atmosphere. If you were thinking about taking in or watching a game, tonight would be the night.

LET'S GO CAPS!

:cheers:

Last night's Nationals game was one of the most exciting, riveting events in D.C. sports history.

Yeah and the first game at FedEx Field was riveting too. :doh:

Come on..you can't be serious? This is an April Fool's day thread...so I'm not going to get worked up over what you said.

There's a core of brothers that properly support the Skins, Nats, Caps and franchise that should still be the Bullets..

Everyone else is a fringe DC sports fan at best...

and what kind of candy ass douche doesn't like hockey? DAMN

LETS GO MOTHER f***** CAPS

RED OUT TONIGHT

Yeah and the first game at FedEx Field was riveting too. :doh:

Come on..you can't be serious? This is an April Fool's day thread...so I'm not going to get worked up over what you said.

No, it's not an April Fool's Day thread, and I am dead serious. Several other posters in here agreed with me too. Stop thinking that your opinion is the "right" one, we all feel differently.

I think people need to pay more attention to the Caps and actually go to a game! They are so exciting and intense. I really think that these two teams are poised for success and are built in ways that I wish the Redskins would approach their team, building from the ground up with young and promising talent through the drafts. However, I really think the new Nationals stadium should pass the time until washington's true sport starts in September

No, it's not an April Fool's Day thread, and I am dead serious. Several other posters in here agreed with me too. Stop thinking that your opinion is the "right" one, we all feel differently.

I never said my opinion was the right one. When did I say that? Jesus Christ:doh: relax dude.

The Wizards sure looked more exciting than the 'Skins last night against Utah.

tongue planted firmly in-cheek

Yuck, yuck, yuck. Hilarious :rolleyes:

But yeah, what do you expect? Their two best players are out, they didn't have a PG playing last night, and Utah is a very, very good team. Plus it was the second half of a back to back and 5th game on week+ long West Coast trip.

Wizards > Caps/Nats >>>>> Redskins.

Wiz have a real Gm (one of the best in the biz at that), Wiz have a very talented, very likable core of players, Wiz have one of the best coaches in the league and the longest tenured coach in the Eastern Conference, Wiz play in a great arena in the heart of the city (compare that to the ****hole that is FedEx), Wiz have two superstars that are 27 are younger, Wiz have a surplus of young, up-and-coming players. On and on and on.

A lot of the same things can be said for the Nats and Caps as well.

But yes, let's watch the Redskins struggle to make the playoffs every year and be laughed at by the rest of the league. So exciting.

But yes, let's watch the Redskins struggle to make the playoffs every year and be laughed at by the rest of the league. So exciting.

Especially since the Wizards' playoff record has been simply astounding.

That was sarcasm again.

Why do the Wizards get a pass because of injuries, but it seems the 'Skins never do?

Tonight at Verizon center will be the loudest game ive been to all year and i went to all of the redskins games. The caps come to play night in and night out are 9-1 in the last 10 when it counts and also are dealing with injuries. They are the most exciting team in hockey and all these people on here saying hockey sucks havent been to a game. The speed, intensity and emotion are incredible at the Caps games. Ovie for president

Archived