Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps & Nats are more exciting than 'Skins

GibbsRedskin

Look, I am a diehard Redskins fan but it's very difficult to be excited about a Jim Zorn/Vinny Cerrato led team when we could have brought back much of the same staff to coach these same players. It looks to many of us like more of the same, and it's very difficult to get pumped up for this season.

Contrast this with the Nationals and Capitals. The Caps have the most exciting young player in hockey (yes, better than Crosby) and are on the brink of the playoffs. Even if they miss it this year, clearly they will be a major contender next year and for years to come.

Last night's Nationals game was one of the most exciting, riveting events in D.C. sports history. The ending of the game couldn't have been scripted better, and showcased another incredibly young, exciting D.C. player to a national audience. I feel like Ryan Zimmerman and Alex Ovetchkin will be the faces of Washington-area sports for years to come.

I hope the Redskins can do something to spur similar excitement. Right now, things are frankly looking bleak compared to these two other young, promising franchises.

By the way, anyone who flames me for this post needs to recognize and remember that I LOVE the Redskins and want them to prove me wrong.

how can you say that the caps look promising for maybe making the playoffs this year, when the skins made the playoffs last year?? I am just as excited for this season as any season ever... I look foward to seeing what Zorn can bring to this offense and Jason's game. Not really sure what you are talking about.

P.S. you left out the areas best franchise over the past 5 years, the Washington Wizards.

That's all fine if you happen to like hockey (or baseball), but otherwise it might as well be international league crocheting. You either like it or you don't. Unfortunately where hockey is concerned I don't give a puck.

(Just read that back and thought it sounded a bit harsh. I don't mean it as a slam, but I do like my little cliche there at the end :cheers: )

you left out the areas best franchise over the past 5 years, the Washington Wizards.
How exactly are the Wizards the best franchise? Yes, they made the playoffs 3 straight years, but they have won 1 out of the last 13 post-season games they've appeared in!!!

Hmmm.....guess the first game in a brand-new $611 million stadium, broadcast to a national primetime audience, is just like any other game?

And by the way, it's 162 games.

Not nearly as exciting as facing the Cowboys in the rain in Dec. needing to win to make the playoffs. Now thats riveting. ;)

Come on man, you shouldn't drink so much before creating a thread. DC has always and will always be Redskins country. I dont care how poor they do, nobody creates the same buzz as the Skins.

The Wizards havent won a playoff series since Bernard King!!

The Capitals...meh, who cares about hockey?

Alex Ovechkin, Gilbert Arenas and Ryan Zimmerman wouldn't hold a candle to Sean Taylor's aura if he were still alive. So there's your superstar.

The Redskins are right there with the Caps as a playoff contender, and how can you be against revamping the coaches when the Caps and Nats/Expos have done it lately? A fresh start is always exciting. Just hide your unconfidence and be excited for the unknown.

There is nothing exciting about hockey. It has been relegated to the Outdoor channel or some such thing. Unless you can go to the games live it is a total snoozefest. The Nationals have never accomplished anything of note and don't look to compete for a while. I think it's saying something that most fans are more excited about the Redskins during the off-season than they are with the Caps/Nats during the season.

Look, I am a diehard Redskins fan but it's very difficult to be excited about a Jim Zorn/Vinny Cerrato led team when we could have brought back much of the same staff to coach these same players.

they did.

not crazy about hockey. the wizards are OK. great game in a new park for the nats last night. but lets not get crazy- its the offseason and the skins have made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years, and last year among injuries and tragedy that would have derailed any team.

if youre getting rid of your tickets, i'll take them. now, enjoy those caps!

While I disagree that they are more exciting than the 'Skins, they both do seem to have more promise. The Caps and Nats are VERY young, and the Wizards have a rookie phenom Nick Young that I think will be VERY good (anyone see how he went shot for shot with Kobe in the 4th q last night?). The point is, those three franchises all have young players and reasons to be hopeful for the future. Right now, the Skins are in a bit of a transition stage. I would consider the only key young players that seem to have a huge impact on our future would be Campbell, Cooley, Landry, and hopefully someone out of Rocky/Montgomery/Golston. The point is, most of our players are in their prime right now, whereas with the Caps and Nats, we get to see (hopefully) two perennial playoff contenders grow up right before our eyes.

The Nats exciting? You have been drinking the juice...

Of course a new opening of a brand new super expensive ballpark is going to be "exciting". But a few weeks down the road when the Nats look as bad as they did last year, that excitement will wane. You find a Caps or Nats game that has ever come close to putting up ratings similar to a Redskins game. How much Revenue does each generate? Yes, the third most valuable sports franchise in the entire world is really worried about two teams that couldnt be a contender if they tried. I do enjoy watching Ovechkin(the first time ive watched Hockey in years), but lets be real here.

I support and root for the local teams but lets not get carried away. People will think you took "duh" pills. :D :D

The most recent championship team in DC area is the zzzzzzzzzz Soccer Team who may move to maryland.

The masses (They voted for Marion Barry) on that side of the river foolishly can't comprehend potential new revenue streams or the area improving for the better.

The walk off homerun was nice but it wouldn't have been needed if the pitcher didn't blow the lead with a wild pitch.

Not nearly as exciting as facing the Cowboys in the rain in Dec. needing to win to make the playoffs. Now thats riveting. ;)

:applause: :cheers:

My thoughts exactly!!

Don't get me wrong, I am an avid baseball fan, but unless that walkoff shot wins a playoff/World Series game (at least for me) it can't begin to compare to the four game run into the playoffs last year..............

especially the Dallas game :D

Archived