Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps & Nats are more exciting than 'Skins

GibbsRedskin

I would agree with you if something had been on the line. I think if they get in a playoff run the Nats could generate some moments. But really how exciting can one win out of 162 really be?
I will never forget that game for the rest of my life. The new ballpark opening and all the events surrounding it, coupled with Zimmerman's incredibly dramatic walk-off homer, will forever be etched in my memory. And I wasn't even at the game!!!

The awesome tailgating scene (despite the efforts of HBO's Real Sports to put it down) is the only thing keeping FedEx Field afloat. Other than the tailgating and the club level, it really is a terrible fan experience.

The club level, really??

I have a blast most every game. My game day experience's are pretty decent.

Look, I am a diehard Redskins fan but it's very difficult to be excited about a Jim Zorn/Vinny Cerrato led team when we could have brought back much of the same staff to coach these same players. It looks to many of us like more of the same, and it's very difficult to get pumped up for this season.

Contrast this with the Nationals and Capitals. The Caps have the most exciting young player in hockey (yes, better than Crosby) and are on the brink of the playoffs. Even if they miss it this year, clearly they will be a major contender next year and for years to come.

Last night's Nationals game was one of the most exciting, riveting events in D.C. sports history. The ending of the game couldn't have been scripted better, and showcased another incredibly young, exciting D.C. player to a national audience. I feel like Ryan Zimmerman and Alex Ovetchkin will be the faces of Washington-area sports for years to come.

I hope the Redskins can do something to spur similar excitement. Right now, things are frankly looking bleak compared to these two other young, promising franchises.

By the way, anyone who flames me for this post needs to recognize and remember that I LOVE the Redskins and want them to prove me wrong.

I think Zimmerman is a stud and will be a perennial All-Star for a long time but Arenas so much more of a star than Z-man will ever be.

The fact is more people in the DMV (DC/MD/VA) area will get excited for a Skins game than a Nats and Caps game. The Redskins are THE region's team just as the Yankees and Lakers are THE teams of their respective regions.

BTW I love the Nats (only second to my beloved Cubs) and the Caps. The Nats will probably do better then most have predicted and the Caps with young studs like Backstrom, AO, and Green will be contenders for a long, long time.

Elkabong, you are nuts if you think I want the 'Skins to go on a spending spree. I regard the Deion Sanders/Bruce Smith/Mark Carrier/Dan Wilkinson/Dana Stubblefield signing era as the darkest in the history of the Redskins.

I simply think the coaching search was a disaster, and I don't trust the coach, his coordinators, or the GM/puppet. All either have poor track records, or no track records at all at their positions. And I have no idea why we brought these men in to coach last year's team, which was clearly on the cusp of doing something great.

The Redskins have been in a start/stop/start over cycle since the early '90s. The Caps, Nats, and yes, Wizards, are all in start mode right now with no signs of going anywhere but up.

I didn't say you WANTED them to. You simply misunderstood me. What I was saying is that the uncharacteristically boring offseason, as opposed to previous spending spress, has left us all with a sense of boredom with the team this offseason, except for the upcoming draft. The GM/puppet has done everything he said he would do this offseason, and hasn't done what Snyder likes to do, spend. I'd say the puppet days are over now that Vinny has his new title, and I'd say Vinny has been doing the moves that everyone has wanted to see for a while.

Zorn actually does have coordinator experience. Just cuz his title didn't have the word in it doesn't mean he wasn't helping with playcalling. With Holmgren the QB coach is more like an OC than the OC. Holmgren said so himself in an interview posted on here awhile back. Stump Mitchell has had good success in Tennessee, so I don't what you are talking about there. Blache has been an integral part of our coaching staff on D, and we have maintained all the coaches on that side of the ball, save for one, so I don't see the problem there. I remember the Caps coach being in the dog house, how confident were all of you in Eddie Jordan a few years back? The Nats haven't done jack yet, they could, but if you are going to be optimistic about an uncertainty, why are you only giving that optimism to a team with one win, and not to a team with a playoff roster returning and a new, hungry head coach with something to prove?

Elkabong, you seem like a reasonable poster and like me, you're a 'Skins fan in the deep South. But I really wish you wouldn't speak for all of us. The reason some of us are not excited is not because the off-season is boring, or because we're not making moves, it's because we think the Redskins made awful decisions on the coaches, coordinators, and GM for this team. I guarantee you that some players feel the same way, too. All the goodwill and magical memories last season produced, despite what appears on paper as a 9-8 finish, were quickly overwhelmed for me by the turmoil of those few weeks following the Seattle loss. I don't understand why everything fell apart so quickly. The simple thing to do is to blame it on Gibbs retiring, but everyone thought a plan was in place for what to do when the inevitable happened. Snyder did NOT plan for that.

Hence, I am much more optimistic about the future of the Nats and Caps than the Redskins. The Wizards fans who've spoken up have valid points too, I simply don't know or care enough about NBA basketball to speak either way.

How about this:

It's a darn good time to be a Washington sports fan.

1. The Skins are coming off of a playoff year and have a lot to look forward to.

2. The Nats just opened a tremendous new ballpark and are headed in the right direction. The farm system is being turned into a strength after years of neglect.

3. The Caps have a great young nucleus including the most dynamic player in hockey if not all of sport. They are making a push for the playoffs. They've won 8 of 9 and have a huge week coming up.

4. The Wizards have missed one of the games superstars all year and another one for a good chunk of it and they are going to make the playoffs.

5. The United are coming off a season where they had the best record in MLS.

Just a few short years ago we had Steve Spurrier, the Montreal Expos, the lockout, and Jerry Stackhouse.

Guest sith lord
Last night's Nationals game was one of the most exciting, riveting events in D.C. sports history.

Aren't you getting a little carried away? And Camdon Yards is still a better stadium.

NO Way.

First off Hockey will never be anything but a second class citizen to the NFL, MLB, and NBA. I don't like the sport, I'm not going to say it's a bad sport. It's a Canadian sport.

Second, if you can sit here and tell me all 100 and thirty thousand games played by the Nats in one season will be as exciting as a 16 game NFL season, you're delusional. There will be at least 80 boring as hell Nats game this year. And anyways, whatever good players we groom are just going to be bought by the Yankees and Redsoxs of the league.

Second, if you can sit here and tell me all 100 and thirty thousand games played by the Nats in one season will be as exciting as a 16 game NFL season, you're delusional. There will be at least 80 boring as hell Nats game this year. And anyways, whatever good players we groom are just going to be bought by the Yankees and Redsoxs of the league.

The Lerners are going to spend money. You have no clue what you are talking about if you just say they will be bought out by the Yankees and Redsoxs

What's the payroll difference right now between the three clubs?

doesn't matter. Why did the Marlins win the title? Angels at only 90? Whitesox. The Marlins won with strong pitching and prospects. The same with the other 2 ball clubs.

Obviously we know you dont follow baseball, because there was no 1 worth giving $50 million to. Do you want to give that type of money to Carlos Silva? Foukudmoe got 4 yr 48 million. Research before you talk.

I will never forget that game for the rest of my life. The new ballpark opening and all the events surrounding it, coupled with Zimmerman's incredibly dramatic walk-off homer, will forever be etched in my memory. And I wasn't even at the game!!!

Hilarious!!!!

Do you remember how the first game at FedEx Field ended? On about a 45-yard bomb from Gus Frerotte to Michael Westbrook to win the game in OT, a play where Westbrook was spinning around and falling down backwards, yet still managed to pluck the ball out of the air and remain inbounds.

You obviously forgot that moment (though you claim to be a big-time Redskin fan), what makes you think you'll remember this Nationals game in 11 years?

This is just another form of a fan temper tantrum, because the team didn't do exactly what you wanted to do. Neither the Caps or the Nationals have done ANYTHING in YEARS, yet they are "built the right way" :rolleyes:. The fact is that we fans have NO IDEA what the right way is. Without Ovechkin, would the Caps be that attractive? As Elkabong said, put Peyton Manning or Tom Brady on the Redskins and see how exciting they would be.

It's great that you're excited about these teams, but don't be shocked that other people don't share your outlook on the Redskins.

doesn't matter. Why did the Marlins win the title? Angels at only 90? Whitesox. The Marlins won with strong pitching and prospects. The same with the other 2 ball clubs.

Obviously we know you dont follow baseball, because there was no 1 worth giving $50 million to. Do you want to give that type of money to Carlos Silva? Foukudmoe got 4 yr 48 million. Research before you talk.

Are the Marlins perrenial contenders like the Redsox and Yankees?

By this comparison, I would read this to mean you expect good things from Zorn? I hope you're right.

I hope so too. I think the parallels are quite noticeable. Boudreau came in and infused the Caps with new life through his simple approach and refreshing candor. The players legitimately believe that they have a chance to show their talents with Boudreau as coach, and a bunch of unheralded guys are stepping up as a result.

Zorn has a similar candor, comparable experience as an NFL player, and seems to relate to his players in a way that only the greats (like Coach Gibbs) can. He's already said that he'd give guys like Mix a chance, and hopefully those guys will respond. If he can do what Boudreau has done for the Caps and translate his likeability into solidifying the team chemistry that's been built through last year's trials, I think he will be remarkably successful.

How about this:

It's a darn good time to be a Washington sports fan.

1. The Skins are coming off of a playoff year and have a lot to look forward to.

2. The Nats just opened a tremendous new ballpark and are headed in the right direction. The farm system is being turned into a strength after years of neglect.

3. The Caps have a great young nucleus including the most dynamic player in hockey if not all of sport. They are making a push for the playoffs. They've won 8 of 9 and have a huge week coming up.

4. The Wizards have missed one of the games superstars all year and another one for a good chunk of it and they are going to make the playoffs.

5. The United are coming off a season where they had the best record in MLS.

Just a few short years ago we had Steve Spurrier, the Montreal Expos, the lockout, and Jerry Stackhouse.

Why did it take 70+ posts for someone to point this out? It was basically what I was going to write. This is an incredible time to be a Washington sports fan. We have the best player in hockey skating at Verizon Center and locked up for the next 10 years; plus they've surrounded him with good young talent. Our basketball team will make the playoffs for the 4th straight year despite missing their second best player all season (I like Caron Butler more, so sue me) The baseball team has an awesome new stadium, a ton of young pitching in the minors, and a very bright future. The soccer team, for those of you who care (and I do) competed every year and has won 4 championships in 12 years.

Lastly, we have the Skins. Like the OP, I am a little worried about the next few years, the team is getting a little older and we will need a few big drafts soon. However, they did make the playoffs last year, but I'm not sure we have enough firepower to move much further. We will see.

The point is, it's great to be in Washington year round. We have exciting teams no matter what season it is. When was the last time we could say that?

Lastly, we have the Skins. Like the OP, I am a little worried about the next few years, the team is getting a little older and we will need a few big drafts soon. However, they did make the playoffs last year, but I'm not sure we have enough firepower to move much further. We will see.

The Skins are in a similar boat as the Nats, Caps, and Wiz. We have good teams that are all good but not great. Right now at full strength these are all teams that could make the paloffs but won't get far if they do.

Although the Skins are getting older the FO has made strides in changing that by holding on to draft picks. We're going to get a lot younger in the next two years to add to the younger studs we already have in Rocky, CP, Laron, JC, Cooley, Heyer, etc. The Nats, Caps, and Wiz all have a young nucleus but only time will tell if any of the teams make the jump from good to great. But you're right, it is a good time to be a DC sports fan.

Look, I am a diehard Redskins fan but it's very difficult to be excited about a Jim Zorn/Vinny Cerrato led team when we could have brought back much of the same staff to coach these same players. It looks to many of us like more of the same, and it's very difficult to get pumped up for this season.

If you can't get excited by Zorn and this off-season of immense stability and draft planning, you must be dead.

I'm a diehard skins fan and will always be, however watching the caps these past few months has been amazing. Ovechkin is going to win the MVP and Boudreou is a legitimate Coach of the Year canidate. Hopefully Zorn can come in just like Boudreou did and get us to the promised land. And for the people that don't like watching hockey I think you should check out the Caps v. Canes game on Tuesday night. Caps trail the canes by 2 points for the division lead (for those that don't know hockey a win is 2 points =P). This will be the closest things to a Skins-Cowboys game in late december as you're gonna see for the caps. :2cents: and BTW Go Skins!

The Orioles are NOT a Washington-area team. Peter Angelos blocked every effort to bring baseball to D.C. and the Orioles should be forever hated by Washington fans as a result. The funny thing is, Angelos is probably more hated in Baltimore!

And also, the Nationals are a better team than the Orioles - it's not even close.

Archived