Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Feedback - Good idea? Bad idea? Let us know what you think.

TK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't feel a rule is necessary but maybe some type of blurb about it within the already written rules. Maybe something like: "As you respond to threads on ES, please be reminded that your posts will be viewed by a wide variety of folks and to avoid miscommunication please try and refrain from using abbreviations that may not be common knowledge". Or something to that effect.

It took me forever to figure out what NSFW meant and it can be frustrating. I don't particularly mind the misspellings. Typos happen. I don't point it out but it can be annoying sometimes. I definitely am not perfect when it comes to spelling but some of the basic stuff seems to be the hardest. i.e. Lose and loose, their and there. But I don't feel a poor grammar should be a punishable offense. Good question tho.

Even though I understand virtually all of the abbreviations that are associated with IM chatting, and text messaging, I never do that here on this site. There's a time and place for everything, and it doesn't belong on this site. I say let's all be educated men here, and write in complete sentences. (oh, and hopefully there are some women on this site as well!)

I could care less...

Spelling and acronyms are the least of my worries.

For the folks that might be worried about making errors or for those worried about the grammer/spelling police, is it possible to install a spell check function on the tool bar for posting?

I think it should be a suggestion, not a rule, that your posts should use limited abbreviations so people can understand it even if they aren't very familiar with online lingo. I don't think we need to define "limited." It's just something for people to keep in mind. I would have the suggestions be part of the Terms of Agreement and be stickied at the top. A list of abbreviations (HTTR, ROFL, etc.) would be another good sticky thread. People could add to it over time.

I think the mods have enough to do without policing the number of abbreviations people use. If someone's post isn't understandable to people because it's so filled with shorthand, then we can point it out to each other (preferably via PM rather than wasting everyone's time).

Regarding grammar and spelling, people here need to stop being such snobs. Have more patience and respect for someone who may not be as educated as you, maybe has a learning disability, or who knows whatever other reason that their grammar or spelling may be atrocious. If you feel the grammar or spelling is so awful that you have to say something about it, send the person a PM. It must be humiliating to have someone say before everyone that you sound like an idiot because your grammar or spelling is awful. Regarding spell check, you have to be a decent enough speller to know which one would be the correct option. I've worked with some folks with severe learning disabilities, and this is not possible for everyone to do. I am going with the assumption that this board is meant to include everybody, and not just people who pass some litmus test for their grammar and spelling skills, so let it go if it's crummy! Look at the content of a post, not how it's written.

Speaking of content of posts, the posts that make me the most annoyed are the ones that add NOTHING to a conversation, such as the ones where people comment on their post totals. What's the value in including post totals? I can see your username including how long someone's been a member, but who cares how many times you've posted? It's quality that matters, not quantity.

This isn't AOL. This is a message board. When I see someone wit"h a post of "OMG. LMAO STFU n00b CP ****ed that lmmfao HTTR" I think of it more as spam. It adds nothing to a conversation in threads. Problem is it would be something that is hard to enforce. I do think it should be a rule, but one that is loosely enforced. Thanks for the work mods.

:cheers:

I'm leaning towards having no rule. You may alienate a number of members (even members who type properly structured sentences). I myself rarely use any of these though I know what a good number of them mean. I'm one of the anal ones when it comes to grammar or spelling, but I don't recall ever calling somebody out on it. I just make sure the things I write are passable and leave it at that. I would prefer that everyone type in a similar fashion, but I'm not about to condemn people or have rules put in place to discourage them. As B&G4ever said, we're not all at the same level and it would be ignorant of us to assume we are. I'm not saying I'm above or below anyone else, I just prefer to post in this manner as it is generally well accepted. I'd also ask that some people not get so confrontational in the stadium threads where people constantly get called names and.....oh wait....isn't that in the forum rules? :)

The rule really wouldn't bother me, except I think it would exclude a lot of youfs, which would bother me. How are these delinquents ever going to become educated without the benefit of interacting with highly intelligent types such as myself? IDK. IMO. ROTFL.

Here is a link that may greatly alleviate some problems. It is a free spellchecker for IE. Tiny, effective and controlled from a right click in any browser dialog box. And it's free for home use. No grammar help though.

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

I'm sure firefox has a similar plugin.

BTW I vote no.

The rule really wouldn't bother me, except I think it would exclude a lot of youfs, which would bother me. How are these delinquents ever going to become educated without the benefit of interacting with highly intelligent types such as myself? IDK. IMO. ROTFL.

Here is a link that may greatly alleviate some problems. It is a free spellchecker for IE. Tiny, effective and controlled from a right click in any browser dialog box. And it's free for home use. No grammar help though.

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

I'm sure firefox has a similar plugin.

BTW I vote no.

Firefox is the way to go for this option IMHO. (In My Humble Opinion for you old folks)

I honestly am 21 years old and I just don't appreciate trying to read what people have to say then wasting my time asking what things like "QTF" and the other weird acronyms mean.

QFT = Quoted For Truth

WTF = What The (I'm sure you can figure out what the "F" stands for here)

This rule, however, is ridiculous. If someone wants to type that way, then let them. If they want to look stupid, then let them. If you don't understand what a term means, then likely a lot of people don't, so ask.

I don't use acronyms, I yell at people about spelling and grammar, and I can't STAND seeing "definately" or "Sellars." However, we're all Redskins fans.

You can type as well as I do and still have nothing to say.

Archived