Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Feedback - Good idea? Bad idea? Let us know what you think.

TK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I’m 29, and have been around message boards in one form or another since 1997. Here is my take on this. Grammar mistakes I can forgive, spelling mistakes less so. Firefox and IE both have plug-ins, that are widely and freely available to help you spell check before hitting submit. Does that mean everything is 100% right all the time? Of course it doesn't. However, Being that this is a textual medium by which we intend to express our opinions and beliefs about a wide range of topics. I feel it is in our best interests as posters to use language and syntax that everyone can understand. Typos will happen on occasion, my brother (who doesn’t visit these boards), often rushes as he words his ideas and avoids any revising before he posts. Now, I don’t text message, my wife and I have a pre-paid cell phone, but we use it sparingly. I don’t see a problem using some terms like (ROFL for example), but by the same token I’d be concerned if conversation began to degenerate into what would amount to gibberish to those of us who are not familiar with IM or texting. ES caters to a wide range of age groups and for that I’m inclined to say that anything we can do to improve our level of discourse on this board, the better.

Here's the problem. There's having a rule, and then there is enforcing it. Do you really want the mods getting involved with posts that use the "TextSpeak" in them? I'm not sure We need to get the mods into doing that as there are enough tasks around here that need done as it is.

This is a good overall view of the situation and I agree with most of what Veretax says here. Sometimes it is good, though, to have rules on the books when things get out of hand. I think that ROTFLMFAO is common enough as well as BTW, or OTOH, but some of the more obscure IM language seems to me to be a form of elitism. This is not MySpace and God forbid if it ever goes that direction.

I am old school from pre-merger ES and a little of this type of abbreviated language seems fine as long as it doesn't become an elitism issue. Language changes man, it's nature.

i say let posters post how they want. if their lingo isn't legible then they've done nothing more then wasted their own time. if we got a rule against every stupid thing people do it wouldnt even feel like a fun environment to conversate with fellow fans. i love the redskins and enjoy talking about anything having to do with them....so whatever.

opps i mean islpphtw. iflilthtdnmtwtot. iwgaraestpdiweflafetcwff. iltraetaahtdwt....sw.

TIP !

I would prefer a "spell check" be added to the message board vs text message!:D

Text message is "society/age oriented" and there are various groups on this board and what one texter may text - may be interpeted as WTF by another texter :silly:

BTW - TIP, is "There, I posted"! :laugh:

Can I also vote for PEZ to be a mod? ;) -

My bad, wrong thread :doh: :D:cheers:

Archived