Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Feedback - Good idea? Bad idea? Let us know what you think.

TK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

To me it has to do with how it's used. If someone is using it as a joke or with a pic I don't really have a problem with it. If they are using it as a normal way of communicating their thoughts all the time, then I have a problem with it.

Babs, wouldn't your user name violate this rule? :laugh:

Hall Of Fame 44 just doesn't look right. :D

Ah, excellent! Then I guess that should be changed to "enforce the use of this feature" rather than "implement this feature" :).

Thanks, mate!

There's no way to enforce the use of the feature. We can only ask that the members here police themselves, and do the right thing when they see something wrong. If we were to try to enforce the use of the report post button, and say a member posted a photo of a completely naked girl, a clear violation of the rules, every person who read the thread or posted after that photo that didn't report it would be subject of accusations of guilt for not doing the right thing. How would you enforce that, buy giving dozens of members vacations from the site ? Any of the people accused could argue that they didn't read that far, but the ones who posted after the fact would surely be screwed. The place would be a ghost town in a matter of a week or so.

That might not be a bad idea, but if you have problems with the search button I don't know how this will work out.

Sadly, you speak the truth. People need to tell the team about their displeasure that the same problem has existed for far to long. A flood of emails to the team directly might get them moving, but nothing is a sure thing.

I don't understand why the "pre-merger" members are complaining about internet jargon. I am 21 years old and have been actively online since I was in elementary school. Lol and wtf and stfu and things of that nature have been used ever since I began typing, which I know is long before ES was ever created.

I don't think it's just the pre-merger folks, and it's not the stuff you speak of that has been around forever. ROFLMAO, WTF, SOL and many others are engrained in the culture for many years now as you said. There not the issue. It's the stuff that become common in the IM world in the past few years that folks have the problem with.

As for my stance on this situation, I don't see the need for a rule on this type of posting. Do I like it......... hell no, and skip right past it for the most part. Being it's not against the rules, and I don't think we need a rule on it, the only thing I see fit to do is speak to these folks on a case to case. bassis.

On the actuall grammer and every day spelling, I've been jumped many times over the years because of my spelling, and I honestly don't give a rats ass if I mess up here and there. I make corrections if something is pointed out that I missed before posting. I may not use the best grammer at times, and have as little care about that as some spelling errors. I'm not writing my resume, or a formal letter to a customer. I'm far to busy, and life is too short to worry about petty BS on an internet message board.

:cheers:

1) I think allowing people to make mistakes is good... Allowing them to correct others is also good. My take: Anytime you write something here, you are opening yourself up for criticism.

2) I also believe that short posts that say nothing should be discouraged. I also feel that anyone who actually quotes another post and then contributes fewer lines than the quote ought to be docked on their thread count. BTW, I'm sure I've done this in the past. Since I'm in favor of second chances, you all should gimme a break about that. :)

3) Jargon should be treated as a foreign language or an abbreviation... At least explain it fully somewhere in the thread in English.

There's no way to enforce the use of the feature. We can only ask that the members here police themselves, and do the right thing when they see something wrong. If we were to try to enforce the use of the report post button, and say a member posted a photo of a completely naked girl, a clear violation of the rules, every person who read the thread or posted after that photo that didn't report it would be subject of accusations of guilt for not doing the right thing. How would you enforce that, buy giving dozens of members vacations from the site ? Any of the people accused could argue that they didn't read that far, but the ones who posted after the fact would surely be screwed. The place would be a ghost town in a matter of a week or so.

But you say that like it's a bad thing :laugh: It could be the new Russian Roulette/Suicide by Bod

I'll preface this by saying that I am one of those people that gets seriously annoyed with bad grammar and spelling. I cringe whenever I hear anyone say they're doing good instead of well. And the fact that "their", "they're" and "there" are the same word in the eyes of many people is kind of disheartening.

That said, I think that enforcing a grammar guidelines on the board would probably be an excerise that would require an unnecessarily large investment of time. It's one thing to make sure people aren't posting duplicate threads but to comb through posts in each thread and check to make sure that people are either using correct grammar or avoiding the dreaded text speak would take a ton of time, I imagine (seriously, it is that much harder to type the extra two letters in the word "you" instead of just hitting the letter "u"...same thing with "to" and "2"??).

I agree with a lot of the people here that have said that, ultimately, the people most hurt by the poorly written posts are the posters themselves. I know that even if I still make an attempt to decipher what a badly written post is attempting to argue, I definitely don't gain a lot of respect for the poster nor do I really give much weight to their argument. Let's be honest, often times the posts that are lacking a basic command of the English language are also lacking somewhat in the evidenced-argument department ("OMG, Portis is a beest. He has mad skillz. Dallas sux! Burgandee and Gold 4ever!").

But, I think one way to achieve some sort of compromise would be to enforce some kind of guidelines on the titles of thread and the original posts. Not sure what anyone else thinks about that...just my thoughts though.

I think you start a slippery slope with ideas like this. This leads to censorship. While this site was never meant to be someplace where you can say ANYTHING, I think beginning the habit of limiting what people can say in any form can lead to other forms of limitations.

And I have met plenty of people that are frequent users of leet speak and IM chatting techniques that have provided me with valuable insight into things, and provided me with a viewpoint I might have otherwise not been exposed to.

Poor grammar and poor writing is one of my biggest pet peeves, but I am not going to attempt to judge anyone by how they say what they say, only by the content of what they say.

Poor grammar and poor writing is one of my biggest pet peeves, but I am not going to attempt to judge anyone by how they say what they say, only by the content of what they say.

I think the point is that, often, a poorly written post makes it difficult to decipher what exactly that content is. There have been a number of times I've come across a solid block of text with no punctuation or paragraph breaks and after about three lines just decided that it's too annoying to try and figure out what the person is saying.

I guess if someone didn't want to be judged as not having worthy arguments based on their writing alone, they would invest some time in crafting a better post. It makes sense that if you want to be taken seriously, you have to give people a reason to do so.

Remember, all we have to go on when making judgements about someone on ES are the words they choose to put on the screen. I don't know about you but that's reason enough for me to take some time and write a decent post.

I think the point is that, often, a poorly written post makes it difficult to decipher what exactly that content is. There have been a number of times I've come across a solid block of text with no punctuation or paragraph breaks and after about three lines just decided that it's too annoying to try and figure out what the person is saying.

I guess if someone didn't want to be judged as not having worthy arguments based on their writing alone, they would invest some time in crafting a better post. It makes sense that if you want to be taken seriously, you have to give people a reason to do so.

Remember, all we have to go on when making judgements about someone on ES are the words they choose to put on the screen. I don't know about you but that's reason enough for me to take some time and write a decent post.

While I agree with the sentiment of your post, I think many people just have a hard time trying to get their point across in a clear and concise manner. I frequent many message boards, and I have for years now, so I have developed the ability to get my point across and keep being misunderstood to a minimum. But it tool me a while to get there.

So, most times, I just give people the benefit of the doubt. However, there is a large number of people here that have a problem communicating clearly, and I have recently come to the realization that that is the reason that I am more of a reader than a poster here. Because I know that I would spend alot of time arguing points with people that either A) are having a hard time articulating their point, B) are having a hard time understanding mine, or C) are just poor communicators.

I have corrected people's grammar on more than one occasion, but I would not be for a rule against idiots. :)

I stopped correcting grammar unless it's a player on the Skins whose name is being botched or something football related. I recommend we stop correcting each other and the clutter would be cut down more so than if we banned people for not knowing how to spell or rite normel. ;)

omg wtfpwnd j00 n00b.

teh cpz0rz = teh l33tsauce~!!!1!!11!!!!

i see stuff like this from my little 13 year old brother talking about crap on world of warcraft.

spelling errors are one thing, this is another all together. this is an official message board of a professional organization, and as such should at least try and bring professional content.

i voted yes, and i feel strongly about it. censoring is being told you cannot say something because of repression in your daily life. this is a message board with rules outside the law. speak with some class.

omg wtfpwnd j00 n00b.

teh cpz0rz = teh l33tsauce~!!!1!!11!!!!

i see stuff like this from my little 13 year old brother talking about crap on world of warcraft.

spelling errors are one thing, this is another all together. this is an official message board of a professional organization, and as such should at least try and bring professional content.

i voted yes, and i feel strongly about it. censoring is being told you cannot say something because of repression in your daily life. this is a message board with rules outside the law. speak with some class.

You voted "Yes"? Would this include requiring people to capitalize the first letter of the first word of every sentence??

Just busting your chops Warrior! I voted "No." I look at posts as conversations and apply the same rules to the posts I would as if you and I were having a beer at a bar. I wouldn't expect you to correct my grammar there either.

I don't care to decipher someone else's language, so like I posted before, I just gloss over it when they post like your 13 year old brother.

Hail,

H

You voted "Yes"? Would this include requiring people to capitalize the first letter of the first word of every sentence??

Just busting your chops Warrior! I voted "No." I look at posts as conversations and apply the same rules to the posts I would as if you and I were having a beer at a bar. I wouldn't expect you to correct my grammar there either.

I don't care to decipher someone else's language, so like I posted before, I just gloss over it when they post like your 13 year old brother.

Hail,

H

Thats mainly how I try to treat it, like talking football in a bar. And living in southeastern PA, Im sure you can all imagine what my bar football conversations are like.

Two thoughts:

I'm in the older group as I see it, and though it took a while, I'm finally up on much of the lingo.

Secondly, in the case of the hyroglyphic example, I'd probably glaze right over that one and not respond. That is an option we actually do have, to ignore something we think is unworthy of a response.

I can't believe how close this vote is....

People need to chill - a few lolz or other internet expressions never hurt anyone. Does it generally reflect a more immature style? Yeah obviously. But are we really at the point we need to legislate around this kind of thing. The board is immensely popular - as a result you're going to have some of the younger crowd. Deal with it.

Seriously - the LAST thing this place needs is more rules to lord over. Relax. Have a beer.

Lolz. Fail.

Archived