Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Feedback - Good idea? Bad idea? Let us know what you think.

TK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This thread Pleez Reed Dis over in Tailgate brought up some interesting points. It also poked some fun in a good natured way at a few folks & things. But, it does raise a few interesting points.

Since part of the charm about ES is it's what the membership makes it. And I know a lot of you are the grammar/spelling police, so that's something a good portion of the membership cares about. Something else you guys, especially you older guys that have been here pre-merger, seem to agree on is that short hand/leet speak/IM/text messaging short hand have contributed to the 'Dumbing down of ES'.

So, would you folks like to see something anti short hand/leet speak/IM/text be added to the Forum Rules?

I want to preface this by saying that yes, I am 20 years old.

I do not tend to write my posts with IM lingo. I also do not think that the forum rules should say that you cannot use that kind of lingo because it is a message board. We are all individuals AND fans of the Redskins. We should be talking about our team, rather than taking shots at each other over spelling and grammar etc. I notice it, and it does sometimes bother me, but who cares as long as I understand the poster's message. Sometimes people have very good things to say that are never seen because they don't type perfectly and I think that is a shame.

Just my 2 cents...

This is an online message board. Therefore, there will be spelling mistakes and abbreviations. There isn't any need for that to punished.

However, if there is some repeated offender t41k1NZ L13K 7h1z n00b, then there should be action taken against that.

Not everyone types perfect or remembers to spell-check their posts before posting them. Nor should they be afraid to do so.

Take that for what it's worth I guess. :2cents:

However, if there is some repeated offender t41k1NZ L13K 7h1z n00b, then there should be action taken against that.

This was more as to what I was meaning.

Not everyone types perfect or remembers to spell-check their posts before posting them. Nor should they be afraid to do so.

This, not so much as to what I was meaning.

Here's a better example from that Tailgate thread:

I don't ever correct anyone's grammar or spelling errors in threads, but it does make them seem uneducated to me and has negative effect on how I view their opinion. I have on several occasions gone to webster.com to find out the correct spelling of a word I wanted to used. I may be stupid, but at least it wont appear to be that way on these boards.

Example:

"u think cp going 2 break the td record this season? i think he does n when he does i will lmao at lt cause hell cry like a girl. g2g laterz."

Conclusion:

I get the impression of what is said, but I think to myself "This guy is either too young to know what he is talking about, or he's stupid". Pretty much, I would disregard that post and just move on to the next (if I even finished reading that garbage).

I’m 29, and have been around message boards in one form or another since 1997. Here is my take on this. Grammar mistakes I can forgive, spelling mistakes less so. Firefox and IE both have plug-ins, that are widely and freely available to help you spell check before hitting submit. Does that mean everything is 100% right all the time? Of course it doesn't. However, Being that this is a textual medium by which we intend to express our opinions and beliefs about a wide range of topics. I feel it is in our best interests as posters to use language and syntax that everyone can understand. Typos will happen on occasion, my brother (who doesn’t visit these boards), often rushes as he words his ideas and avoids any revising before he posts. Now, I don’t text message, my wife and I have a pre-paid cell phone, but we use it sparingly. I don’t see a problem using some terms like (ROFL for example), but by the same token I’d be concerned if conversation began to degenerate into what would amount to gibberish to those of us who are not familiar with IM or texting. ES caters to a wide range of age groups and for that I’m inclined to say that anything we can do to improve our level of discourse on this board, the better.

Here's the problem. There's having a rule, and then there is enforcing it. Do you really want the mods getting involved with posts that use the "TextSpeak" in them? I'm not sure We need to get the mods into doing that as there are enough tasks around here that need done as it is.

I honestly am 21 years old and I just don't appreciate trying to read what people have to say then wasting my time asking what things like "QTF" and the other weird acronyms mean.

I can live with "lol" other then that I say stop this nonsense.

Unless all you nerds want to write and summary so the mods can add the announcement section some sort of legend or key letting us know that sometimes a number 3 means the letter E and "ROFL" means Rolling on the Floor laughing not Running Out For Lunch or something.

I honestly am 21 years old and I just don't appreciate trying to read what people have to say then wasting my time asking what things like "QTF" and the other weird acronyms mean.

:laugh: It's funny that you actually used that one as an example. Because I still don't know what the heck it means.

I would say the biggest feedback would be sometimes the merging of threads gets to be problematic in this way.

Someone starts a thread on topic X.

Then X is a great topic, and gets 500 posts to it.

480 posts are less than 5 words in length.

Someone starts a new post related to topic X. A good discussion ensues. It gets merged into the originaly thread with 480 worthless posts, and it becames painful and pointless to wade through it.

Not sure how you fix the fact that 25 people feel the need to post virtually the same response as the previous 25 responses they just finished reading...which is essentially a 5 word or less response...like "great post" or "brandon lloyd".

If that makes sense.

Here's a better example from that Tailgate thread:

I don't ever correct anyone's grammar or spelling errors in threads, but it does make them seem uneducated to me and has negative effect on how I view their opinion. I have on several occasions gone to webster.com to find out the correct spelling of a word I wanted to used. I may be stupid, but at least it wont appear to be that way on these boards.

Example:

"u think cp going 2 break the td record this season? i think he does n when he does i will lmao at lt cause hell cry like a girl. g2g laterz."

Conclusion:

I get the impression of what is said, but I think to myself "This guy is either too young to know what he is talking about, or he's stupid". Pretty much, I would disregard that post and just move on to the next (if I even finished reading that garbage).

Ok. Now that I understand more, then yes, I agree. Posts should have some kind of intelligent structure to them. Only after a warning, though, should disciplinary be taken against the poster.

:laugh: It's funny that you actually used that one as an example. Because I still don't know what the heck it means.

What RSB21 said was "Quoted Truth For". As we all know, that does not make any sense. :laugh:

QFT = Quoted For Truth. Basically, it is a 'cool' way to say "I agree with what you just posted'.

As for the rule? I say nay. It is time that each and every member who does post in that manner to learn how to spell like a true human being and not a school girl. :laugh:

Example:

Conclusion:

I get the impression of what is said, but I think to myself "This guy is either too young to know what he is talking about, or he's stupid". Pretty much, I would disregard that post and just move on to the next (if I even finished reading that garbage).:

:applause:

I'm never a fan of censorship which ultimately, even in good faith, will just lead to problems and misunderstandings. Perhaps instead of a hard and fast rule, a suggestion in the rules section would be better. I don't want to speak for the mods, but I don't think they have the time, nor desire, to add another rule they have to interpret and pass judgement on posters.

And besides, like SpringfieldSkins said, leekspeak/texting let's me know right away who the idiots are and those who actually took the time to write an informational piece. It's a real time-saver! That's not to say that I'm expecting people to write a novel; even one sentence posts, written correctly can add something useful/funny/interesting.

I can hope that users write good posts, and despite my disappointment when they don't, I still say no rule is a good rule.

:2cents:

Archived