Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Camping...or FPS Etiquette

Spaceman Spiff

While pubbing: Camp a little here and there, sure, but camping gives you the definite advantage because you are stationary and already have your sight set. The other player is at a disadvantage when they have to spot you, line up, and fire. All you have to do is fire. In general, if you camp more than about 3 kills from any one spot, you're being a noob. Move around, it's a pub. The best players don't have to camp.

I used to love campers on pubs back when I played quite a bit of Counter-Strike (a good 6 or so years ago). Most of the really dedicated ones really weren't all that good at what they were doing, so I'd always take advantage of them by weaving and bunny hopping all the way across the open area they covered until I was in a position to easily take them out. Still, people definitely ****ed about it more than they needed to.

Camping is a valid strategy but it isn't one you should use exclusively. That all can change based on the game, though.

Old Cosby routine, featuring historical wars being begun with a coin toss:

Captain of the British, this is Captain of the rebels. Britiah, you're the visitors, you get to call. You call heads. It's tails.

OK, Captain Washington won the toss, so his people get to wear whatever they want, and they can shoot at you from behind anything they can find, any where. You've lost the toss, so your side must wear red, and march in a straight line.

I think after one spawns they should be invisible and not able to shoot for 5 seconds. Give them time to get hidden or whatnot.

Camping is a part of military strategy. I know it's a game, but MAN UP and get out of your fantasy world with diving in to death traps just to get a couple kills. That's why I enjoy playing 1 player alot, I try to never get hit or die at all. It makes it much more intense.

Multiplayer is like playing against a bunch of terrorists on suicide missions. It can be fun, but I always mute the voice volume so I don't hear that immature, clueless, vulgar banter from kid's that don't know the ass end of a donkey from the bolt on a gun.

n00b

But seriously its a part of every FPS. I've never had the patience to stand in one spot and wait for the kills to come to me, it takes all the fun out of the game. Even when I'm sniping, which is most time now-a-days, I usually take a kill or two from a spot and move on. Otherwise I would be killed by the people who killed me.

If camping is what you want to do there is nothing anybody can do to stop you, except on a server where they can boot you, just don't be surprised to here a lot of crap coming through your mic.

n00b

(edit) and then theres this

Camping, while a legitimate strategy in most games, is considered unsocial and is often frowned upon. Among some players, camping is considered tantamount to cheating, especially in deathmatch-type games. The most common reason for this is that if every player camps, there will be no opportunities for players to come into conflict, and thus there will be no game at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camping_(computer_gaming)

So I'm still playing a ton of Call of Duty 4 online and have been getting better and better. It's the first time I've played any game online before.

Anyway, I've noticed that a bunch of people ***** and whine about "campers" which, on certain levels, is what I like to do.

A camper - or a "****ing camper" as these people like to put it- is when you stay in one spot and shoot anything that comes in your area.

From what I can tell the practice is frowned upon, someone earlier this evening called me a "****ING HOMO CAMPER" after he found his fate at the end of my shotgun barrel for about the third time in a minute and a half.

So does this violate some first person shooter etiquette or something?

Nothing wrong with it. It's a part of the game and people should learn to adjust.

You left out one part, COD4 has a kill cam, so the person that died knows right where it came from, so if he continues to run into you camping the same spot, he deserves to die every time.

I don't have a problem with people camping a spot because the better skilled players are going to take you out once they realize you've killed them twice from the same spot.

Nothing wrong with camping as long as it isn't spawn camping or simply ignoring the objective of the team. If you're camping to defend your own team's objective then thats a plus.

Nobody should whine about campers, if he's killed you once, you should have figured out where he is and if you aren't dumb enough to get him, he's dead.

I play Team Fortress 2, and the engineer's role is to basically camp. :laugh:

Nothing wrong with camping as long as it isn't spawn camping...I play a lot of Battlefield 2 and sometimes at Karkand I will camp for a few seconds at the hotel flagpoint trying to capture it. If you stay at one point in that game long enough , trying to rack up kills , eventually the opposition will get wise as to what you are doing and hurl a frag to blow you up. You can camp for a few seconds until the objective is complete , then roll out.

campingsig.jpg

You left out one part, COD4 has a kill cam, so the person that died knows right where it came from, so if he continues to run into you camping the same spot, he deserves to die every time.

I don't have a problem with people camping a spot because the better skilled players are going to take you out once they realize you've killed them twice from the same spot.

Yeah, frag him; especially with the recon info you get in CoD4.

Another thing thats really annoying in FPS games in when somebody blocks. I am getting shot and trying to run through a door but this idiot just stands there so I die. What the hell is wrong with these people.

MOVE OUT OF THE WAY NOOB!

:mad:

Nothing wrong with camping as long as it isn't spawn camping or simply ignoring the objective of the team. If you're camping to defend your own team's objective then thats a plus.

Often though, people who camp a certain spot to hold a particular control point will often lose touch on overall how the team is doing. The problem sometimes is they don't have the good mind to keep up with whats going on and push when its needed or provide support at a different point.

As for the engineer thing, its the sentry doing most of the camping ;). Engineers and snipers generally are the exception...but even snipers (should) know they need to mix it up by changing their position.

Another thing thats really annoying in FPS games in when somebody blocks. I am getting shot and trying to run through a door but this idiot just stands there so I die. What the hell is wrong with these people.

MOVE OUT OF THE WAY NOOB!

:mad:

Yeah, camping I can deal with, but wtf are you doing standing right behind me twidling your dick? Get the **** out of the way.

Yeah, camping I can deal with, but wtf are you doing standing right behind me twidling your dick? Get the **** out of the way.

One time I actually had lag so I was unintentionally blocking the doorway to de_dust , people got mad. "MOVE DAMN IT" :laugh: But yeah , there's no excuse for blocking the paths like that.

wikipedia][/b]Camping, while a legitimate strategy in most games, is considered unsocial and is often frowned upon. Among some players, camping is considered tantamount to cheating, especially in deathmatch-type games. The most common reason for this is that if every player camps, there will be no opportunities for players to come into conflict, and thus there will be no game at all.
Does anyone else see the irony in Wiki saying that camping is considered unsocial? Exactly how is playing a video game, by yourself, on-line in any fashion considered social?

People tend to ***** about anything in FPS and most especially in CoD. If it's not camping, it's the number of grenades. If it's not that it'll be someone ****ing about the use of certain guns. I've even seen people ***** about snipers, saying that it requires no skill. It's best to turn a deaf ear to a lot of that. It's really hard for someone to camp on CoD. A well placed nade is a good way to clear the camping grounds.

People tend to ***** about anything in FPS and most especially in CoD. If it's not camping, it's the number of grenades. If it's not that it'll be someone ****ing about the use of certain guns. I've even seen people ***** about snipers, saying that it requires no skill. It's best to turn a deaf ear to a lot of that. It's really hard for someone to camp on CoD. A well placed nade is a good way to clear the camping grounds.

Absolutely. And COD4 is certainly quite a bit different than the type of games where the term camping originated (i.e., Quake, Counterstrike).

If you do not move in a tactical manner (i.e., checking corners, taking temporary tactical advantage of a position) -- and run around doing the bunny hop, you're cannon fodder. And due to the kill cam, if you stay in a "good" position for more than a kill, you're asking to be taken out.

Never seen ANYONE "camp" in COD4, because there just don't seem to any unassailable positions. If you know a bad guy is there (i.e., you just died there) -- the odds are definitely in favor of you getting him the second time.

The allegations of camping are usually brought by the disciples of spray and pray FPS (ala Unreal Tournament) and are absolutely invalid in a tactical shooter like COD4.

Camping in FPS games is a ***** move. It shows no skill. You just sit and wait its pathetic, wheres the skill? Nothing pisses me off more than a camper while playing.

Man up, this isn't real life you get to respawn.

yeah, the real skill is shown when you just run around and empty clips by the dozen, eventually hitting something.

yeah, the real skill is shown when you just run around and empty clips by the dozen, eventually hitting something.

Did I say thats skill? Sitting in a corner near spawn waiting for the enemy to walk by shows real skill huh? :rolleyes:

Did I say thats skill? Sitting in a corner near spawn waiting for the enemy to walk by shows real skill huh? :rolleyes:

The lovely thing about CoD is that if you're playing most gametypes, your comms remain open while you respawn. While watching the killcam, you can call out where the camping **** is. Also on CoD if someone makes it that close to the spawn...they usually swap players to the other side of the map.

Archived