Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Camping...or FPS Etiquette

Spaceman Spiff

So I'm still playing a ton of Call of Duty 4 online and have been getting better and better. It's the first time I've played any game online before.

Anyway, I've noticed that a bunch of people ***** and whine about "campers" which, on certain levels, is what I like to do.

A camper - or a "****ing camper" as these people like to put it- is when you stay in one spot and shoot anything that comes in your area.

From what I can tell the practice is frowned upon, someone earlier this evening called me a "****ING HOMO CAMPER" after he found his fate at the end of my shotgun barrel for about the third time in a minute and a half.

So does this violate some first person shooter etiquette or something?

Not really. Camping spawning points, at least the main base, can be frowned up and considered poor etiquette, but I think "camping" is certainly a part of FPS's, especially for snipers.

I know when I used to play a sniper in a game, I'd find the best spot where I could hunker down, and I felt no qualms about. That is what a sniper is supposed to do.

Not really. Camping spawning points, at least the main base, can be frowned up and considered poor etiquette, but I think "camping" is certainly a part of FPS's, especially for snipers.

I know when I used to play a sniper in a game, I'd find the best spot where I could hunker down, and I felt no qualms about. That is what a sniper is supposed to do.

Well, I don't snipe, I use my shotgun a lot. I guess it's a form of sniping...but not sniping in the traditional sense.

Camping in FPS games is a ***** move. It shows no skill. You just sit and wait its pathetic, wheres the skill? Nothing pisses me off more than a camper while playing.

Camping is part of the game. I think certain types of camping can be cheesy, but that is how the cookie crumbles. But I have zero problem with camping certain areas; again, it is part of the game.

I always have a chuckle when I hear someone screaming about camping.

Camping in FPS games is a ***** move. It shows no skill. You just sit and wait its pathetic, wheres the skill? Nothing pisses me off more than a camper while playing.

Man up, this isn't real life you get to respawn.

Well if the object is to get as many kills as possible with the least amount of deaths...wouldn't camping be alright?

Don't get me wrong, my favorite level is one where there's practically no place to do it...I just think it has its time and place on certain levels.

Camping is part of the game. I think certain types of camping can be cheesy, but that is how the cookie crumbles. But I have zero problem with camping certain areas; again, it is part of the game.

Yeah it is if you play like a little *****. Camping is only somewhat acceptible if you snipe but then you still gotta move around to different spots.

Camping shows no skill. The only way you can be effective is to hide and shoot people when they can't see you?

Well if the object is to get as many kills as possible with the least amount of deaths...wouldn't camping be alright?

Like you said camping shows a lack of gaming etiquette. You can get a good kill/death ratio without camping. But you know, that might require some skill.

Yeah it is if you play like a little *****. Camping is only somewhat acceptible if you snipe but then you still gotta move around to different spots.

Camping shows no skill. The only way you can be effective is to hide and shoot people when they can't see you?

No, they can definitely see me. They just need to look harder or check their corners better.

It does take skill. After racking up a few kills, people will start gunning for you and it's hard to defend that area at times.

The only legitimate reason to ***** about someone camping is if they have other team objectives they should be focusing on and they're ignoring them to rack up kills. Spawn camping is the exception because thats pretty lame regardless of the circumstances.

What is spawn camping? Like camping on the spawn points?

No, they can definitely see me. They just need to look harder or check their corners better.

It does take skill. After racking up a few kills, people will start gunning for you and it's hard to defend that area at times.

Theres no respect to be had when camping. Its like "Oh damn that guys 54-10 hes really good! Oh nevermind thats that ***** who camps." It doesnt mean anything.

The servers I play have a feature that lets player kick/ban campers. Its pretty satisfying seeing Johnny Camper get banned.

The only legitimate reason to ***** about someone camping is if they have other team objectives they should be focusing on and they're ignoring them to rack up kills. Spawn camping is the exception because thats pretty lame regardless of the circumstances.

EA for the win.

If someone is camping away from the objective points, then that guy is playing for himself, and not the team, that is, assuming you're not playing deathmatch and are indeed playing a teambased game mode. The guy who is playing for himself is essentially a wasted team spot and creates a sometimes severe disadvantage for the team s/he is on.

However, if you're trying to play defense to defend an area and stay in a spot (e.g. trying to prevent the enemy from taking a certain path), then its defense, not camping.

What is spawn camping? Like camping on the spawn points?

Yes. Even snipers that spawn kill are frowned upon.

Yeah, I wouldn't do that. The only time I've done that is at the start of the game where everyones started. If I can throw a flashbang and stun someone right away...well, tough ****. It's been done to me plenty of times.

As far as what I play, it's not a team or anything, it's straight up free for all deathmatch.

Here's the general rule in my experience.

While pubbing: Camp a little here and there, sure, but camping gives you the definite advantage because you are stationary and already have your sight set. The other player is at a disadvantage when they have to spot you, line up, and fire. All you have to do is fire. In general, if you camp more than about 3 kills from any one spot, you're being a noob. Move around, it's a pub. The best players don't have to camp.

Clan matches: Camp all day. You're playing to win. If the other clan whines, they can go **** themselves.

In some maps and with some classes, it is simply part of the game. After all, if I find a good firing lane with great coverage, why move? Why would I worry about playing like a *****?

As long as it isn't an exploit, then so be it. And if I fragged you and called me a *****, I would laugh twice as much the next time I would frag ya. (And trust me, I would be lying if I said I never got pissed at someone camping my spawn point...)

However, if you're trying to play defense to defend an area and stay in a spot (e.g. trying to prevent the enemy from taking a certain path), then its defense, not camping.

Exactly. I wouldn't spawn kill unless it was the last control point on the map or some such. Also, I wouldn't exploit, such as using a collision exploit to hide in the walls, which is sometimes an issue with some engines.

Folks don't understand that, in some maps, with some objectives, you have stationary defensive positions, and even aggressive offenses take advantage of superior firing positions. For example, in Day of Defeat, positioning was often very key for maps, and for both offense and defense.

Keep in mind that I do agree that the better players tend to move around, since you are a frag if you sometimes stop too long, or someone gets a bead on your stationary position.

Archived