Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A HUGE problem with this team: No kicker

Sekhmet728

Don't forget his kick-offs to the 20 or 30 yard line.

I do think we need to have a competition in training camp and into the pre-season next year. It would be a mistake to not bring in at least someone to challenge Suisham.

Last in the league in kickoff yards in the air. That was before Devin Hester too.

I don't think SS is that bad....but a little competition in camp would not hurt and might make him step his game up. When I was a kid I was used to Mark Moseley and his automatic kicks....it would be nice to get back to point where I didn't have to wonder whether we were going to make that extra point/FG every time.

I remember everyone wanting to hang Frosty out to melt... He's getting better each year it seams... He may end up being a long-term answer for Punter... while, i am not sold on SS yet as a long term kicker, he has been decent so far... I do worry most about his kickoffs and besides the bears game I dont think the short kickoffs have been intentional.

SS has hit 23 of 29 FG for a 79% accuracy, and has made 9 of 12 from 40-49 yards. I don't see where kicker is the problem. He hit a little rough patch for a game or two but he seems back on track. I'll take an 80% kicker any day and especially 75% from 40-49 yds.

hmmmmm....maybe we should offer a huge contract to one of the leagues best coaches to become "Head Field Goal Kicking Coach" ranked right below Danny Smith.

Then get another coach for kickoffs.

We will let the field goal kicking coach also be in charge of extra point kicks....we don't want too many "irons in the fire."

He is the most consistent kicker we've had since Chip, and he wasn't always on 100%...SS isn't the golden foot...but since he came I'm nowhere near as nervous before kicks I was before...

I gotta say I agree. Before him I was freakin out every time we had to kick a FG . That Nick Novak was a joke. Even though it is true that he still misses some easy ones.

I have NO faith in Suisham outside of 40 yards. He has shown far too many times that he either doesnt have the leg or he cant kick it straight. Even when he kicked that 50 yard FG to beat the Pukes last year, that ball went waaaaaaaaaay right and then curved back in and was good.

Not that they have been, but if games consistently hinge on the difference of our kicker to be good or great, then our team has more than it's fair share of problems elsewhere.

Kicker is never a problem when you are up by a couple touchdowns.

I see what your saying and agree to an extent with you. But remember....this IS the nfl. There are close games every week.....there are teams that play below expectations and above expectations EVERY single week. So many times games DO come down to a field goal.....even when they shouldnt. Thats why you need a MONEY kicker in this league I think. Hell....New England has made a habit of winning superbowls by a field goal....:logo:

Just checked NFL.com, and opponent's average starting yard line on his kickoffs is

So I guess that isn't that bad.

I think people are missing that. Did nobody note that our opponents are on average starting in worse field position than if he banged it through the end zone every time? WOW :notworthy

Seriously, who cares about yards in the air on kick offs? It all about hitting it high enough AND long enough to pin your opponent back as far as you can. People need to keep the end goal in mind (same goes for complaining about a long field goal that had to curve to be good). People, results are what matter, not style did it pretty points.

I don't think Suisham has been that bad. In the Dallas game Gibbs should've gone for the first instead of kicking; in the Philly game missing the PAT sucked; however, we should'nt have been in such a rush to get it back so soon.

The one area I will criticize Sean on is his kickoffs. Looked promising at the beginning of the year but have sucked recently.

I thought that was part of the game plan...to prevent overkicking the coverage, they kick it a little more shallow.

I have NO faith in Suisham outside of 40 yards. He has shown far too many times that he either doesnt have the leg or he cant kick it straight. Even when he kicked that 50 yard FG to beat the Pukes last year, that ball went waaaaaaaaaay right and then curved back in and was good.

That wasn't Suisham.......Nick at Night Novak kicked that one.

Guest ComebackKing

Novak and John Hall were guys you had to hold your breath every dang time they lined up to kick a FG of any length, I'm happy to say so far I have way more confidence in Suisham I don't know why some people don't like him, he's missed a couple longer ones and they weren't very bad misses I should say. Overall I think he's doing fine.

We haven't had a dependable kicker in several years and many times it has cost us (or almost cost us) games.

Everyone knows Suisham isn't the answer, and there don't seem to be any answers in free agency (because if they're free agents, they're not good).

Our kicking game contributed to 2 losses this season that I can recall: @Dallas and vs. Eagles.

@Dallas, Shuisham missed a FG that in the end would have allowed us to kick a field goal to take a lead at the end of the 4th quarter. Instead, Campbell threw an interception on 3rd down because we needed a TD.

vsEagles, Shuisham misses an PAT, which led the redskins to fail some 2pt conversions, which ended up being the difference in the final score.

I not saying this is the only problem or even the worst problem, I'm just saying it's a big one and we really need to find some way to address it.

I think this to myself every time I watch a Redskins game. Why can't we ever seem to find a reliable accurate dependable kicker? Every kicker we've had since Chip Lohmiller got in a slump and left has been pretty bad. And when you think about it, it probably has alot to do with why the Redskins have been so bad since then too. In todays NFL, alost every game is won or lost within 6 points.

This is ridiculous. He kicks off short by design? The goal for EVERY kickoff, barring an onside kick or squib kick, is a touchback, plain and simple. They start at their 20, nobody gets hurt.

Some people will make excuses for ANYTHING. "No no, Speaker Pelosi, we're losing the war BY DESIGN." :rolleyes:

This is ridiculous. He kicks off short by design? The goal for EVERY kickoff, barring an onside kick or squib kick, is a touchback, plain and simple. They start at their 20, nobody gets hurt.

Some people will make excuses for ANYTHING. "No no, Speaker Pelosi, we're losing the war BY DESIGN." :rolleyes:

I guess you haven't seen Leon Washington return a KO for 90+ yds against us and guys like Devin Hester return punts from that distance.

Dude, that wasn't Suisham, that was nick novak.

Archived