Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A HUGE problem with this team: No kicker

Sekhmet728

Are you serious?

No kick that night was made because of talent so much as luck. This game neither works for nor against my opinion of Suisham.

You're kidding, right?...

A wind like that would have rendered a mediocre kicker useless because his kicks are already unpredictable and inconsistent...throw in a gusty, swirling wind and you might as well pick someone out of the stands to do your kicking. If a kicker goes 3-3, including a 50 yarder, in extreme conditions like that you take notice. If Suisham were released tomorrow he would be snapped up in a heartbeat...trust me, Suisham's performance last night's impressed far more than just homer Skins fans.

It doesn't matter if an NFL kicker makes kicks out of luck, divine forces or if Sean Taylor's ghost carries them through the uprights by himself. A kicker's job is to make kicks and if he does that he's done what he's paid to do. For this one game, Suisham has certainly proven himself.

And besides, kickers are judged on what they've done lately. All Suisham's done lately is gone 3 for 3 in a nationallly televised game, on the road in a hostile environment (like those tunnel doors that are opened for opponents and not the home team), in horrendously difficult weather conditions, in a must-win situation.

Check.

I think Suisham is a solid kicker. He isn't the cream in the crop in the NFL as far as kickers, but he's been solid for us at times when he needed to be.

But from yesterday's game, he had a pretty good game from kicking. IMO, those kicks were more skill than luck because it seemed he kind of used the elements to his advantage.

It was LUCKY that Suisham aimed left to have the wind bring all three kicks between the uprights. He must of had a horseshoe or rabbits foot in his pocket.

obviously the giants kicker did not.

LUCKY? If you ask me, Suish KNEW EXACTLY how the wind would affect his kicks, and planned accordingly...

He aimed those kicks SO FAR LEFT and they ended up going RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE. You gotta respect that SMART PLAY

It was LUCKY that Suisham aimed left to have the wind bring all three kicks between the uprights. He must of had a horseshoe or rabbits foot in his pocket.

obviously the giants kicker did not.

Im sorry but that 49 yarder was sheer ability. For anybody to kick anything over 35 yards last night was impressive, even more so to go 3 for 3. Obviously had you seen the smile on the kids face you would have known he knew damn well what he was doing with his aim.

Suisham is inconsistant as hell all. We hate him when he missed, we love him when he hits.

The story of all kickers. Suisham just tends to miss more than most kickers...ergo he's a true Redskin.

I don't know about that. He is 8-8 in kicks under 30 yards (tied for 1st). 8-10 in kicks 31-39 yards (avg) and 10-13 in kicks 41-49yards (above avg. here).

Only 4 kickers have made more FG's but only 3 have tried more. He just seems to kick a ton!!

You need to get your head examined.
It's amazing that this fan base can not agree on anything. Even things we all saw collectively just last night. Yeah, those were all lucky kicks. :rolleyes:
You're kidding, right?...

A wind like that would have rendered a mediocre kicker useless because his kicks are already unpredictable and inconsistent...throw in a gusty, swirling wind and you might as well pick someone out of the stands to do your kicking. If a kicker goes 3-3, including a 50 yarder, in extreme conditions like that you take notice. If Suisham were released tomorrow he would be snapped up in a heartbeat...trust me, Suisham's performance last night's impressed far more than just homer Skins fans.

You guys have all lost it. I'm not saying that Suisham is bad, but there's no way to judge in kicks like that. Clearly that last one had a gust/grace of God push it in. He made them, and that's fantastic, but when one flag on the goal post is blowing one way and the other one is blowing the opposite direction, there's no way that you can attribute that to skill. He put the kicks out there, they went in. I'm not complaining, but I'm not annointing him the second coming of Moseley for that.

LUCKY? If you ask me, Suish KNEW EXACTLY how the wind would affect his kicks, and planned accordingly...

He aimed those kicks SO FAR LEFT and they ended up going RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE. You gotta respect that SMART PLAY

How the hell could he know EXACTLY how the winds would be when they were swirling and gusting? That makes no sense at all.

And right down the middle? His last one was barely inside the upright.

LUCKY? If you ask me, Suish KNEW EXACTLY how the wind would affect his kicks, and planned accordingly....

Thank you, RamseyFan.

laxpck, do you really not think that Suisam has enough sense to correct for wind? I've never kicked a field goal in my life, and even I know that if the wind is blowing hard to the right, you have to kick to the left. It's knowing how much to correct for wind that is key, and Suisham split the uprights in both of his cross-wind kicks (not to mention his boomer). Come on, you don't have to love the guy, but at least give credit where it's due.

Thank you, RamseyFan.

laxpck, do you really not think that Suisam has enough sense to correct for wind? I've never kicked a field goal in my life, and even I know that if the wind is blowing hard to the right, you have to kick to the left. It's knowing how much to correct for wind that is key, and Suisham split the uprights in both of his cross-wind kicks (not to mention his boomer). Come on, you don't have to love the guy, but at least give credit where it's due.

It wasn't just blowing in one direction. If it were doing that, then it's ALL skill. However, that wind was gusting in all eight directions at any given moment. There's no way to adjust for something so unpredictable.

Going back to the short kickoff discussion...how come there are NCAA kickers who consistently kick the ball thru the endzone but in the NFL, everyone pops them up short?

The NFL is only 5 yards further back where you kickoff from, so those same kickers should be able to get at least to the goal line to 5 yards deep consistently.

Is the ball in the NFL compared to NCAA that much different and harder to kick?

Going back to the short kickoff discussion...how come there are NCAA kickers who consistently kick the ball thru the endzone but in the NFL, everyone pops them up short?

The NFL is only 5 yards further back where you kickoff from, so those same kickers should be able to get at least to the goal line to 5 yards deep consistently.

Is the ball in the NFL compared to NCAA that much different and harder to kick?

Not according to Wilson.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_the_NFL_and_NCAA_use_different_size_footballs

Why do the NFL and NCAA use different size footballs?

Answer

From manufacturer: Wilson Sports

Q: What is the difference between a NCAA football and the NFL footballs? And what are the specification of both?

A: Both the NCAA and the NFL footballs have the same specifications. The specifications of these footballs are: Short Circumference: 20 3/4"- 21 1/4": Long Circumference 27 3/4 "- 28 1/2 "; Weight: approximately 14-15 oz.

Regulations for NCAA ball can be found on page 28 of this "NCAA 2004 Rules and Interpretations" document: http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2004/2004_football_rules.pdf

Key points: 8 laces 2 one-inch wide stripes located 3" to 3 1/4" from the ends...only on the two panels adjacent to the laces. Long circumference range: 27 3/4" - 28 1/2" Short circumference range: 20 3/4" - 21 1/4" tip to tip overall length: 10 7/8" - 11 7/16" Inflation: 12 1/2 to 13 1/2 psi Weight: 14 to 15 oz. No pro football logos allowed. No advertising, Exceptions (1) ball manufacturer's name or logo, (2) AFCA

Archived