Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A HUGE problem with this team: No kicker

Sekhmet728

We haven't had a dependable kicker in several years and many times it has cost us (or almost cost us) games.

Everyone knows Suisham isn't the answer, and there don't seem to be any answers in free agency (because if they're free agents, they're not good).

Our kicking game contributed to 2 losses this season that I can recall: @Dallas and vs. Eagles.

@Dallas, Shuisham missed a FG that in the end would have allowed us to kick a field goal to take a lead at the end of the 4th quarter. Instead, Campbell threw an interception on 3rd down because we needed a TD.

vsEagles, Shuisham misses an PAT, which led the redskins to fail some 2pt conversions, which ended up being the difference in the final score.

I not saying this is the only problem or even the worst problem, I'm just saying it's a big one and we really need to find some way to address it.

I don't think Suisham has been that bad. In the Dallas game Gibbs should've gone for the first instead of kicking; in the Philly game missing the PAT sucked; however, we should'nt have been in such a rush to get it back so soon.

The one area I will criticize Sean on is his kickoffs. Looked promising at the beginning of the year but have sucked recently.

We haven't had a dependable kicker in several years and many times it has cost us (or almost cost us) games.

Everyone knows Suisham isn't the answer, and there don't seem to be any answers in free agency (because if they're free agents, they're not good).

Our kicking game contributed to 2 losses this season that I can recall: @Dallas and vs. Eagles.

@Dallas, Shuisham missed a FG that in the end would have allowed us to kick a field goal to take a lead at the end of the 4th quarter. Instead, Campbell threw an interception on 3rd down because we needed a TD.

vsEagles, Shuisham misses an PAT, which led the redskins to fail some 2pt conversions, which ended up being the difference in the final score.

I not saying this is the only problem or even the worst problem, I'm just saying it's a big one and we really need to find some way to address it.

He didn't cost us eaither game.

1) Eagles - Yes, he missed it. So what, then we ended up going for 2 later, and missed, so it cost us 2 points total, but as a result of how the score was, Eagles went for 2 twice, and missed both. So it evend out.

2) Cowboys - 1st - It was a 51 yarder. Hardly a automatic. 2nd - JC threw that INT on 3rd down. EVEN if all we needed was a FG, we might have STILL be trying to convert that 3rd down play.

I think he has been pretty solid. As good as 85% of the kickers out there.

he may not be the greatest kicker, but he has been the best and most consistent kicker around here for a long time. Most years our kicker gets hurt (i.e. John Hall) and we have to bring in a bunch of over the years different ones (suisham, conway, novak, jose cortez, etc). it will be nice to make it thru the season with one healthy kicker *knock on wood*

Suisham I will admit that he isnt that great, but HE IS the best kicker we have had in 10 years

I remember that 8-8 season with Deion and Bruce smith, the year we were supposed to win the superbowl, we missed the playoffs because we had 47 different kickers that year, who didnt know how to kick

Don't forget his kick-offs to the 20 or 30 yard line.

Actually, I think he does that on purpose, to give more hangtime and let the coverage team get down to tackle the kick returner. (Which is why it is one of the best units out there.

I'm actually glad he's cooled off a bit, because there will be less competition when he hits FA this year...

Jason

Huh? Shazam has been pretty decent, especially in some clutch situations. His kickoffs have been shorter lately, but that might be by design. The Skins have faced some good return men in recent weeks, and their kickoff coverage has been good. I'm not against bringing in some competition, I'm sure they will, but I definitely don't agree that kicker is a huge problem for th Skins.

Personally-I've been surprised by SS's play since he became a Skin late last year.

When he was with us, he couldn't make a 30 yarder, even if it meant to save his own life(his 30 yard miss in the wk1 Jax game last year ended up turning around the momentum of that game). Then he turns around and starts booming them from late 40's/50 yarders in another uniform??

OTOH-Parcells didn't do well(at all) with the younger players on the team. Sure-Antonio Bryant was a bit of a nut(job), but if I was a young 20-something player like Suisham playing under this old-school Iron-Fisted coach, I think my psyches would take a turn for the worst too.

Anyhow-considering all this, I'm rather happy for SS.:2cents:

Archived