Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL...rigged? What do you think?

Spaceman Spiff

Had a good debate tonite about the NFL being rigged. Stemmed from the Patriots and their "tape gate" episode earlier and the MNF call from this week.

I personally think that it's not all on the up and up...I think that there's a lot of money involved and that a lot of people are looking the other way. I wouldn't say that its as rigged as pro wrestling (though I wouldn't be surprised) but I do think the NFL has biases towards certain teams...the refs don't have 100% control of the game but they can control enough to make things happen.

A lot of you all know that I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I think this is one instance where I am...

What do you guys think?

Pro Wrestling is fictional theater. There is NO comparison. I'd be damned if it was "rigged" the same. Pro wrestling isn't rigged, it's staged. Everybody knows what will happen, when it will happen, and what they'll do if something goes wrong.

As far as fixes in the NFL, there are too many people that would have to be involved. It isn't worth risking it for the NFL to fix games in order to rack in cash. People have hated officials forever, and this has always been a theory amongst fans of ****ized teams.

Pro Wrestling is fictional theater. There is NO comparison. I'd be damned if it was "rigged" the same. Pro wrestling isn't rigged, it's staged. Everybody knows what will happen, when it will happen, and what they'll do if something goes wrong.

As far as fixes in the NFL, there are too many people that would have to be involved. It isn't worth risking it for the NFL to fix games in order to rack in cash. People have hated officials forever, and this has always been a theory amongst fans of ****ized teams.

like us? lol

i think its a valid question. i mean, come on, last week's stoppage of forward motion? that was beyond a terrible call, no one is that stupid. and then the pass interference call after about 10 seconds after the play ended? i also seem to remember some horrendous calls last season when it was between the packers and the giants to get the wildcard spot. I would certainly not discount the possibility of corruption.

I don't think its fixed.

Riggo had a great point on his radio show last night:

Q: What is the NFL made up of?

A: Thirty-Two owners

Do you really think they somehow formed a conspiracy with Roger Goodell? Or that the other 31 owners are working to give the Lombardi to Belicheck?

Look how passionate guys like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder are. They're not "in cahoots" with on field officials. If that was the case, they just would've told coach Joe he couldn't call 2 timeouts instead of giving him the penalty.

Every game has some bad officiating. And the Patriots are that good.

I hate to be blunt,but those of you who think the NFL is completely "straight up"....are complete and utter morons!!

Not only do I think that some Refs have bias against and for certain teams,but I also believe that there are many things that go on behind closed doors,that would make the casual fan puke!

You people who say...."there's way too much money for the league to be rigged"..are fooling yourself!You can NEVER have too much money in this world!And the more you make...the more you want!!

Now I am not saying that every game is rigged and no game is true and pure....But I would bet my HOUSE that at least 1 NFL official (or more)or someone even higher above not only has money on games,but influences them as well...

Don't think these phantom "holding calls"...or "pass interference" calls or even false starts are all on the "up and up" and for the fans...

When did I start having these ideas and assumptions from the greatest sport ever?

Playoffs of 2001...Oakland@New England

-----------------------------------------

9/11 had happened(Patriots...how fitting and rejoicefull)

Al Davis was currently sueing the NFL(alot of big time people pissed off at him)

Tuck rule happens in an obvious fumble recovered by charles Woodson and the Raiders will win the Game....NOPE!Overturned by the notorious tuck rule and the rest is history!

The beginning of the Patriots Dynasty

That's when!

Could it have been going on, well before that game?Absolutely!

But that's when I opened my eyes...and realized that under no circumstances does a team get extra chances to win a game the way the Patriots have...

Would you bet your life that the Monday Night game against the Ravens was "straight up"?no interference from any source what so ever..?My money is on the ref that that says boy alot!!J/K...But seriously...

I have NO DOUBT that the game we all love "NFL Football" is in someway compromised by "Some" bad people with a whole lot of money,to have games lean or favor certain teams as much as possible...

OH....here's a thought...

1)Everyone hates Dan Snyder

2)The Redskins just can't win anymore or catch a break for nothin'!

3)I wonder why??

Its all about marketing and money. Calls tend to favor the teams that bring in the most viewers. The more viewers the more money. If everyone is watching the pats vs cowwhores the NFL can charge more money for commerical time. Because they will bring a large audience to the table to watch the game. Its all that advertisment dollar. You seen it with the bulls.

A simple equation:

The more money involved the more cheating involved. That includes everything from churches to your neighborhood craps game.

The question is not if the NFL has dirt going on...the real question is how do they hide their dirt so well? You have to be super naive not to believe cheating is going on.

A simple equation:

The more money involved the more cheating involved. That includes everything from churches to your neighborhood craps game.

The question is not if the NFL has dirt going on...the real question is how do they hide their dirt so well? You have to be super naive not to believe cheating is going on.

There is a HUGE difference between being "fixed" and cheating that goes on in the neighborhood craps game.

Fixed implies there is a planned attempt by a group either in the referees or NFL management to change the outcome of games. I don't believe they are fixed. Cheating implies a ref or couple of refs or players make calls/plays to throw games. I am sure that occurs, and if its one or two people...its not hard to hide.

Playoffs of 2001...Oakland@New England

-----------------------------------------

9/11 had happened(Patriots...how fitting and rejoicefull)

Al Davis was currently sueing the NFL(alot of big time people pissed off at him)

Tuck rule happens in an obvious fumble recovered by charles Woodson and the Raiders will win the Game....NOPE!Overturned by the notorious tuck rule and the rest is history!

The beginning of the Patriots Dynasty

I wouldn't read too much into the Patriots and 9/11. It almost seems too obvious to have the winner of a championship have a name like the Patriots after an attack on our nation. If that were really the case, wouldn't having the NEW YORK Giants or Jets be more suitable for winning the title? Hell, even the Redskins for that matter? No one gave a damn about the Pats before they got their rings. A team from NY or Washington winning after the events of 9/11 would've been more suitable, and touched many more people. (also, the World Series played a few weeks after 9/11 featured the Diamondbacks and Yankees. Even though we're talking about two different sports, with your argument the Yanks should have taken home the title. I think the MLB cheats a heck of a lot more than the NFL)

This also doesn't run parallel with how the Pats have been pretty much THE team to beat since Belichek's second year as coach in 2001.

Then again, what you say is very much possible--I just feel if the NFL wanted a more nationalistic approach to the SB winner, you can say other teams would have been more rightly justified to take home the title than some almost unknown team from New England of all places.

i think its a valid question. i mean, come on, last week's stoppage of forward motion? that was beyond a terrible call, no one is that stupid. and then the pass interference call after about 10 seconds after the play ended? i also seem to remember some horrendous calls last season when it was between the packers and the giants to get the wildcard spot. I would certainly not discount the possibility of corruption.

LOL that was just a bad call by a ref in poor position on the forward motion call. It should have been a strip. However, they PI was legit and if you would have watched NFL network, you would understand why it was PI....the defender was not playing the ball and the reciever was. Incidental contact only matters if both players are playing the ball or both players are not playing the ball.

I've watched too many Skins games in my life to not believe there is a bias in officials. There has to be. It's human nature.

Beathard openly complained to the league after 1 too many questionable calls by Jerry Markbriet in Dallas games, and he stopped reffing them. And he was one of the best in the business.

I cringe when I see guys like Tom White, Jerry Seeman, Correnti, etc at the start of a Skins game, because I KNOW any close call will go against us.

I also can tell you when it started with the current crop.

Back when Davd Boston played for the Cards, his dad was a side judge. Michael Westbrook complained openly that Bostons dad had 2 sets of rules when he reffed Skins games. So bad that Snyder went to league and complained and Bostons dad wasnt allowed to ref our games anymore. Since that point, the old school refs who were his buddies, have held a grudge and made calls against us.

From Plummer in the endzone, to Champ recovering a ball on the sideline, to the phantom Thrash false start vs GB and on and on.

There always seems to be a holding call when the opponents need one.

I dont think there is a conspiracy, but denying bias' exist in human beings ignores science and nature.

I dont think there is a conspiracy, but denying bias' exist in human beings ignores science and nature.

That's a little melodramatic, don't you think?

Sure there are bad calls that go against the Skins and other teams - but I know I've seen some bad calls and no-calls go our way as well.

What is human nature is to MAKE the bad call in the first place.

I don't know...I'm with Sarge in thinking that there's probably some money riding on the Pats perfect season, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there are one or two officials getting the squeeze from mafia types to make a call here and there to manipulate the spread, but rigged? No, I don't think so.

Every game has some bad officiating. And the Patriots are that good.

Ok, the last two weeks have shown that the pats aren't that good, just really lucky. At least for the last two games.

I don't think it's rigged, but I do believe that the league wants the pats to win it all, and break the record.

You don't call illegal contact on something that didn't affect the WR in his ability to catch the ball, nor when both were making contact. It's ticky tack. let them play. Let's not over look the fact that the ball was tipped and couldn't have been caught.

The pats were beat. They just got calls and lucky at the end to have the win given to them.

I especially liked how at the presser after, everyone from the team complained about bad officiating rather than take the blame for playing bad and almost getting beat.

arrogant team, arrogant coach. Don't like them. no class.

It's not rigged, per say, but there is Bias.

Look - Before the game - Refs are told "Hey - Be on the lookout for Pass Interference". Now the refs are more likely to see it, even when it may not really be there.

Also - These are guys that read the same paper we do, watch the same shows, etc....

If they are watching NFL network and the announcers keeps saying "TO has a lot of Yard after the catch. He is very hard to bring down. The best way somone can stop him is to stop his forward progress so the play is dead, before he has time to spin away"

Now - That guy is on the field and is thinking "Need to blow the whistle as soon as forward progress stops".

Had a good debate tonite about the NFL being rigged. Stemmed from the Patriots and their "tape gate" episode earlier and the MNF call from this week.

I personally think that it's not all on the up and up...I think that there's a lot of money involved and that a lot of people are looking the other way. I wouldn't say that its as rigged as pro wrestling (though I wouldn't be surprised) but I do think the NFL has biases towards certain teams...the refs don't have 100% control of the game but they can control enough to make things happen.

A lot of you all know that I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I think this is one instance where I am...

What do you guys think?

If the games were rigged, the big market teams would be a lot more successful. The Giants, Jets, and Bears would regularly win the SuperBowl. The LA teams, before they moved, would have been much more competitive. In a big market, there is alot of competition for interest and the entertainment dollar. If a team does poor, many people don't pay attention. Good teams mean a lot of interest. A lot of interest in big markets means good ratings. Good ratings mean more money. 75% of the people in LA or NY watching a game is alot more meaningful than 75% of the people in Tampa Bay or Indy.

Do individual teams cheat? Sure. There is a lot of money in being successful for coaches, GMs, and owners. That is going to encourage cheating.

Is it possible that some refs sometime influence the game w/ respect to the point spread? Sure it is possible, but they would really want to keep it at a min. and only w/ respect to the point spread. A lot of people spend a lot of time and money looking for trends. You'd better believe they look at refs w/ respect to the point spread and certain teams. If a real trend was found, then that would influence the betting and that would get Las Vegas' attention. Las Vegas doesn't like to lose money.

Archived