Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL...rigged? What do you think?

Spaceman Spiff

Had a good debate tonite about the NFL being rigged. Stemmed from the Patriots and their "tape gate" episode earlier and the MNF call from this week.

I personally think that it's not all on the up and up...I think that there's a lot of money involved and that a lot of people are looking the other way. I wouldn't say that its as rigged as pro wrestling (though I wouldn't be surprised) but I do think the NFL has biases towards certain teams...the refs don't have 100% control of the game but they can control enough to make things happen.

A lot of you all know that I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I think this is one instance where I am...

What do you guys think?

If the Refs doing everything they could to try and get Indy in the Super Bowl a couple years ago doesn't prove this nothing does. Brady and Manning are the NFL darlings and they'll do anything and everything to help them win. Either they make bad calls to tilt the game in their favor or they allow their incesant whining to influence the game. I don't think it's coincidence that seldom if ever calls go in the Redskins favor. :2cents:

If the games were rigged, the big market teams would be a lot more successful. The Giants, Jets, and Bears would regularly win the SuperBowl. The LA teams, before they moved, would have been much more competitive. In a big market, there is alot of competition for interest and the entertainment dollar. If a team does poor, many people don't pay attention. Good teams mean a lot of interest. A lot of interest in big markets means good ratings. Good ratings mean more money. 75% of the people in LA or NY watching a game is alot more meaningful than 75% of the people in Tampa Bay or Indy.

I don't agree with the whole "big market" theory. These markets are going to make money regardless, win or lose, due to the cities they play in. People will watch either way. I think getting the smaller city teams in there every now and then is good for the league and good for making $. A lot of people who could care less about football start caring when their local team is playing good.

I would say the officials and league have their favorites and will do things to help the players and teams that give the league a better image a little help. You can't tell me some of the calls the officials make aren't biased. They're so biased it's ridiculus. Especially in regards to the Cowboys, Pats and Colts.

I think the big market thing in the NFL is false. Otherwise there'd be a team in LA and the Bears, Giants, Jets and Pats would be in the SB every year. Is it fixed? No. Is there biased? Yes there is. Funny that Jerry Markbreit came up because I always thought he was a Dallass lover, yet he was the ref for 2 of our SB wins.

My theory is this:

2001 Patriots wonder boy beats the mighty Rams with last second thriller.

2002 Buccaneers, the woe begone franchise finally wins the big one against Al Davis.

2003 Patriots wonder boy at it again with last second thriller over the Penthers.

2004 Patriots wonder boy goes back to back against the Eagles.

These 4 SB's had a compelling story or were thrilling last second wins.

2005 Steelers #6 wild card, gets to SB in Jerome's last year, but even that can't prevent a snoozer game against the old AFC Seahawks.

2006 Colts Manning finally wins the big one, but the game is marred by turnovers and a torential downpour. Half the seats empty.

Last 2 SB's not only have been very boring, but have no been thrilling finishes either. Both elements lost on the last 2 SB's

So, what does the NFL do to renew interest. They bring back Wonder Boy and his undefeated team and they resurrect the Cowpukes (So call America's Team) with Hollywood Homo to bring in ratings. If there is a will, there is a way, the NFL will have Patriots and Cowboys playing in February. And, with all the off field incidents by the players, Goodell needs a boost in his position. What better way to do it then these 2 teams.

Mark my words and sticky this. SB 42 Pats vs. Pukes.

Mark my words and sticky this. SB 42 Pats vs. Pukes.

Wow you are really stepping out on a limb. Picking a team that has been really good for most of the last decade and went out in the off season and acquired 3 new/good offensive players, and a team that went to the playoffs last year even though they had a first year QB and alot of young players on D and really should have won their playoff game last year and in the off season addressed their weakest position by signing two OL. Who would have looked at the season before the start and guessed those two teams would be playing in the SB?

This clearly proves that the NFL is rigged.

Had a good debate tonite about the NFL being rigged. Stemmed from the Patriots and their "tape gate" episode earlier and the MNF call from this week.

I personally think that it's not all on the up and up...I think that there's a lot of money involved and that a lot of people are looking the other way. I wouldn't say that its as rigged as pro wrestling (though I wouldn't be surprised) but I do think the NFL has biases towards certain teams...the refs don't have 100% control of the game but they can control enough to make things happen.

A lot of you all know that I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I think this is one instance where I am...

What do you guys think?

Sorry but I do no want to piss anyone off but if ANYONE thinks the NFL is going to rig anything and have the potential to ruin their 4 Billion dollar enterprise then you are let me put it a lightly and IDIOT :)

Imagine how many people would have to know and how hard it would be to keep anything a secret and all the other leagues who have been destroyed by the NFL would love to find a way to knock them off the pedestal.

Come on people you are smarter then that aren't you :)

Bad officials - yes

Biased officials - some

Bribed officials - not out of the question

League rigged - no.

Perfectly sums it up. Goodell and NFL have to much to lose to be rigging games. It's more likely that you have a dirty referee or two, like the NBA recently had.

Wow you are really stepping out on a limb. Picking a team that has been really good for most of the last decade and went out in the off season and acquired 3 new/good offensive players, and a team that went to the playoffs last year even though they had a first year QB and alot of young players on D and really should have won their playoff game last year and in the off season addressed their weakest position by signing two OL. Who would have looked at the season before the start and guessed those two teams would be playing in the SB?

This clearly proves that the NFL is rigged.

We could all see this coming after their "Showdown in Big D" week 7. This would be their marketing department's dream come true.

What do you guys think?

I think its all a load of crap. And im tired of hearing these Ravens whining about the game the other night. Specifically, the play where they were called for holding. It WAS holding! Furthermore, the DB hit the WR early in the endzone! And the thing about them calling the timeout on the play they stopped the Pats. GET OVER IT! The replay CLEARLY showed Ryan calling the timeout before the play. The fact that the players didn't hear a whistle is irrelevant. Duh, there were about 80,000 fans cheering at the top of their lungs. Also, there's no way of determing if they would have stopped them had the whistle not been blown. The Pats Olineman, some of them, at least, could have heard the whistle and not gone all out. I am sick of hearing this BS about the NFL must have wanted them to win. (Pats) The better team won. End of story.

I hate to be blunt,but those of you who think the NFL is completely "straight up"....are complete and utter morons!!

Not only do I think that some Refs have bias against and for certain teams,but I also believe that there are many things that go on behind closed doors,that would make the casual fan puke!

You people who say...."there's way too much money for the league to be rigged"..are fooling yourself!You can NEVER have too much money in this world!And the more you make...the more you want!!

Now I am not saying that every game is rigged and no game is true and pure....But I would bet my HOUSE that at least 1 NFL official (or more)or someone even higher above not only has money on games,but influences them as well...

Don't think these phantom "holding calls"...or "pass interference" calls or even false starts are all on the "up and up" and for the fans...

When did I start having these ideas and assumptions from the greatest sport ever?

Playoffs of 2001...Oakland@New England

-----------------------------------------

9/11 had happened(Patriots...how fitting and rejoicefull)

Al Davis was currently sueing the NFL(alot of big time people pissed off at him)

Tuck rule happens in an obvious fumble recovered by charles Woodson and the Raiders will win the Game....NOPE!Overturned by the notorious tuck rule and the rest is history!

The beginning of the Patriots Dynasty

That's when!

Could it have been going on, well before that game?Absolutely!

But that's when I opened my eyes...and realized that under no circumstances does a team get extra chances to win a game the way the Patriots have...

Would you bet your life that the Monday Night game against the Ravens was "straight up"?no interference from any source what so ever..?My money is on the ref that that says boy alot!!J/K...But seriously...

I have NO DOUBT that the game we all love "NFL Football" is in someway compromised by "Some" bad people with a whole lot of money,to have games lean or favor certain teams as much as possible...

OH....here's a thought...

1)Everyone hates Dan Snyder

2)The Redskins just can't win anymore or catch a break for nothin'!

3)I wonder why??

Dude, unless you have PROOF, then just stop with this nonsense. Btw, the Oak/NE thing. By RULE, that was the right call. Quit whining. Not saying it was right or wrong that the call was made. But it was the right call, by rule.

Um, that call last night was good and if that were Cooley being held, you nutjobs would be screaming bloody murder. Watson was held from the snap to just before the ball arrived. It was a good call, unless you think you're allowed to hold someone all the way down the field?

I didn't notice a lot of other bad calls and the one illegal contact after the Brady run didn't stop Brady from running from the first down or have an impact on that play other than add'l yardage.

Give me a break.

What do you guys think?

SS, I think you are on to something. I won't go out and say that there is blatant violations going on, but I believe there is a lean toward certain teams having favoritism, usually teams that have great earning potential or have the NFL poster child.

Here's an example: Last year the Redskins were playing the Colts. Manning threw a short yardage pass to Wayne in the endzone near the sideline. Wayne was clearly out and it was more than apparant from the TV angle. Well the referee who was less than 5 ft away and in perfect posistion to make the call indicated TD. After a very brief review he was overturned. There was no question anyone who saw that, saw an incomplete pass. ANYONE EXCEPT THE REFEREE THAT WAS 5FT AWAY.

Why? I believe it is because of what you suggest SS. Rigged? I am not sure, but definitely a slant!

Btw, where is your David Beckham sig? The overall increase in actuall attendence for the LA Galaxy this year was up over 30%. You do remember the bet we had right? :laugh:

There is no conspiracy. Too much money involved to risk corruption. The Patriots are just a dynasty right now because they've built their team the right way.

As far as officiating, stars get calls in every league. It's called the benefit of the doubt. Randy Moss is more likely to get a ticky tack PI call in his favor, just like A-Rod is more likely to walk instead of striking out looking.

Not to bring race into this but OF COURSE the NFL is rigged. 32 teams with owners in a "Good ole Boy" setting. Look at how 1 team goes from being so good 1 year to so bad the next, then teams that sucked 1 year all of a sudden are good. Look at the inconsistent calls and you know good and well these Ref's are biased. Anyone that doesn't think this is true is living in denial.

Sorry but I do no want to piss anyone off but if ANYONE thinks the NFL is going to rig anything and have the potential to ruin their 4 Billion dollar enterprise then you are let me put it a lightly an IDIOT :)

Imagine how many people would have to know and how hard it would be to keep anything a secret and all the other leagues who have been destroyed by the NFL would love to find a way to knock them off the pedestal.

Come on people you are smarter then that aren't you :)

jbooma, the voice of reason.

Frankly, I am stunned by the number of people in this thread who extrapolate that a few questionable calls by officials means that the NFL is rigged. :doh:

Not to bring race into this but OF COURSE the NFL is rigged. 32 teams with owners in a "Good ole Boy" setting. Look at how 1 team goes from being so good 1 year to so bad the next, then teams that sucked 1 year all of a sudden are good. Look at the inconsistent calls and you know good and well these Ref's are biased. Anyone that doesn't think this is true is living in denial.

:laugh:

In lieu of the discussion on refs throwing the flags after a penalty, maybe there should be a camera on each ref during the game to see if he reaches for his flag.

Scenario: A ref is betting on the team currently on offense. There is a hold by the offensive line, the ref reaches for his flag but waits to see the rest of the play. If the play is busted or whatever, he throws the flag, but if the play turns into a big offensive gain, he refrains from throwing the flag. This may not be the best example but you get my drift.

The other thing about refs is that if one ref is in cahoots with one team, another ref may not be and there would be constant discussion and differences between their calls. The only way for a ref to effectively change a game is if the entire crew is in on it.

The games definitely aren't rigged. All it would take to tear down the NFL is if one guy who is in on it gets hammered one night and starts running his mouth about how the games are rigged by the league. As large as the NFL is, I can't see how they can keep everyone quiet about rigged games. It's not like they have background checks and security clearances within upper management.

Or maybe they do..........

. . . the phantom Thrash false start vs GB . . .

This was the play that convinced me that there is at least SOME bias by NFL referees.

I'll never forget when they showed the "coache's cam" replay from the endzone.....you saw CP make the catch, start making people miss.....no flags visible.....then you see Clinton running down the field......no flags visible.....then....when Clinton is around the 4-yard line (and clearly going to score)........PLAIN AS DAY, you can see the REFEREE (yes, the guy in the white hat) following the play down the field and you see him reach into his pocket and pull out a flag (with CP on the goaline) for a penalty that apparently happened before the snap.

To be accurate, the call was "Illegal Motion" on Thrash....the refs claimed that he didn't reset for a full second before the snap.

If I hadn't seen the replay with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it....but I saw a ref call a "time of the snap" penalty about 25 seconds too late.

So when's it our Good Ole Boy's turn? Danny's been waiting a while. And I have no idea what owners being white has to do with plays on the field. Preposterous argument.

Just to add some spice- why are the pro officials the most incompetent? I watch my share of college ball and even at my sons high school games there is practically never a problem with the officials. When was the last pro game you saw that you didn't feel the ref's were horrible. Hell, when you play Dallas you know you have to play 2 teams - the Cowboys and the refs.

Archived