Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I will say it now....We are gonna miss the hell out of Dockery

scottlo34

Granted it was one preseason game. Granted Samuels was out. I just got a bad feeling that as the season progresses ladies and gents, having Dockery still here along with a healthy CP, our running game would have been absolutely lights out. Yes, I know we couldn't afford him. In fact, we have to hope beyond hope that the O-line stays healthy this year and that Wade can play the guard position or it could be real trouble running the ball this year. I had a sneaky feeling that the defense was gonna be horrible last year, in fact I can dig it up on one of my posts to verify it. I got the same strange feeling about the O-Line....We are gonna miss Dockery badly....comments? :logo:

yup always the case with this team...we let pierce go, we lost the dominance on the defensive side...we let smoot go, we ended up with carlos "toast" rogers...we let ryan clark go, we end up with arch deluxe...we let rod go, we haven't had a WR come close to matching his 50+ catches...it will again be the case this year unfortunately.

The defenses are always ahead of the offenses early in the pre season...with the exception of a couple team this weeekend, the offenses all got own3d.

I htink we'll be allright...we have GOT to stretch the defense though...I say the KEY to our season is having BL or ARE step up and become a legit #2 WR...this will take the heat off Campbell trying to constantly find Moss and Cooley.

That may be a bit of a stretch.
Um...yeah...to say the least. Dude lost his case with that statement.

Look, if there's one thing I really don't want to hear, it's whining about losing Dockery. He wanted to get paid like a superstar, and he got it, just from someone else dumb enough to do it. For once, we didn't overpay for someone, even one of our own guys, and guess what? He didn't even look that good in the Bills game. Forget Portis saying he'd trip and fall over while pulling and how slow he was sometimes, forget the inconsistent play he'd always have, who cares, he's another guy people fairweather fans can point to and say "wah wah we let him go and that's why we stink." Clark? Sure, that's a good case. Pierce and Smoot? Salary cap restrictions got in the way of what they wanted from us along with other teams' bids, but I can sort of see the point there, despite the fact we now have a better MLB than Pierce and Smoot's back now, so I'd say that's a wash now. But Dockery? Really? What else, if Suisham misses a big kick this year is someone got a start a thread saying we should've never let John Hall go?

That may be a bit of a stretch.

Why?

He's right.

Say what you will about Rod Gardner, but we have not had a #2 receiver close to his production since he left. Hell even as a #1, only Santana's 2005 record setting season and Coles' 03 campaign beats Rod Gardner's 2002 season as the primary receiver this decade so far.

yeah that was a big mistake.

What was a big mistake...letting DD go? Chemistry may suffer for a while as may the transtition of Wade, loosing whiticker was a blow but he was by far the most replaceable player on the line ... i think what this game shows is just how valuble Samuels is to the boo boys ...The rookie was Ok but playing him took Cooley out of the game as when he was in he had to block.

Letting Gardner go ....is he still in the NFL...just how good where his 50+ catches a year when none of them were when we really neaded them? And Cooley has stepped up to take his role as a possesion reciever...

Letting Clark on the bubble in Pitt go ...?...Arch was a mistake but Clark was not worth the starters money he was asking for and may be available this season.

Letting Peirce go ...i think that was the only mistake but the SC at the time was screwed by the Coles situation....but now the MLB situation is in a better state than Pierces new team...

Letting Smoot go ...Smoot had some highlight reel plays but wasn't as good a people remember him and his best year was his contract year ... Carlos will be okay in time more of a physical player than the cover corner but was pushed into that role due to injuries last year...

How far do you want to go back ... was it a mistake to let Shawn Barber go, James Thrash, Brad Badger, Matt Turk, Dana Stubblefield, ND Kalu, Charlie Brown, Rickey Sanders, Ernest Byner, Russ Grimm, Mark May...its what happens its football stop living in the past....

What else, if Suisham misses a big kick this year is someone got a start a thread saying we should've never let John Hall go?

Sadly almost certainly :doh:

By all reports Dock was not good in the Bills first game and I think we all agree he got overpaid. I wish he was still here but frankly the team made the right call by not paying that much to an average to good guard. Lets all move on.

I'd also hesitate to start thinking about who we pick in the top 10 next draft at this point. Wade did not look great but he was playing next to an undrafted rookie - lets wait until we at least get teh starting line on the field before we make any judgements.

If Wade can not get it done there will be some cuts late in camp who can come in and help at LG - Pete Kendall springs to mind. Personally thats a move I would love and have Wade as 1st guy off the bench at tackle or maybe even starting at RT if things don't improve on that side of the line.

it's easy for the homers to say "hey, look at the money dock got. be glad we didn't overpay."

i say two things to that:

1. we could have locked him up for less than 1/2 that money had we signed him before his rookie deal expired. one day, we'll learn that lesson. remember, not only did he get more money because he was allowed to taste the open market like pierce and smoot before him, but also due to the huge bump in the salary cap.

2. yes, he is overpaid. why do we overpay for other teams players?

Dockery didn't want to work out a deal before last season and the 'Skins and, frankly, nothing he showed was worth keeping him.

King Belly Flop had a total of one half of one decent season and that was near the end of '06. He looked worse than ever in Buffalo's first preseason game.

Granted it was one preseason game. Granted Samuels was out. I just got a bad feeling that as the season progresses ladies and gents, having Dockery still here along with a healthy CP, our running game would have been absolutely lights out. Yes, I know we couldn't afford him. In fact, we have to hope beyond hope that the O-line stays healthy this year and that Wade can play the guard position or it could be real trouble running the ball this year. I had a sneaky feeling that the defense was gonna be horrible last year, in fact I can dig it up on one of my posts to verify it. I got the same strange feeling about the O-Line....We are gonna miss Dockery badly....comments? :logo:

Congrats there Miss Cleo!!

You already said it... We couldn't afford to keep him at the price that he was commanding. Its not that we're gonna miss resigning him, its that if we falter, its because we didn't replace him correctly.

Aside form that though, this major breakthrough of yours could have been announced in any of the other threads discussing Dockery or the O line.

Good luck with that magic 8 ball.

Dockery didn't want to work out a deal before last season and the 'Skins and, frankly, nothing he showed was worth keeping him.

did we try? if we did, and made him a decent offer, then i recant.

as far as the parts i didn't quote, i disagree. dockery was developing into a solid player. i know the bills overpaid, but they didn't overpay because of a 1/2 season of decent play.

Dockery was signed to a RFA deal before last season. No one came calling for him. The 'Skins were talking beforehand, but he wanted one more year to play in order to fish for more dollars. Even before that, though, the team was skeptical about his worth. He took more dives over his career than Dainus Zubrus.

There were a number of articles (not least by JLC) talking about the DD deal and the Skins and his agent exchanging proposals in the $7mil range with $3-4mil garuntees I think which up untill last year was decent starting money for a gaurd in the NFL . DD was looking for more like $12 mil in bonuses which is Steve Hutchinson kind of money and there is no way in hell DD played as well as Hutch (God damn you Marty Shottenhimer - we could have had the Hutch insted of 50:50) and then the Bills offer kind of blew that away . So it is not like we made no attempt to sign him it is just FA went crazy this year with huge money given to so-so players...

One other thing on the DD signing - are the Bills not one of these teams who always plead poverty begging the big market teams for more of thier income to be shared out and they throw this kind of cash at DD? Crazy

Dang the chicken little posts is out after one pre-season game :laugh: :D . I'm not ready to push that button yet it was just first pre-season game so things is going to be a little rough around the edges.

Now if that should continue in to the rest of the pre-season games then yes, you do have a right to be concern.

One other thing on the DD signing - are the Bills not one of these teams who always plead poverty begging the big market teams for more of thier income to be shared out and they throw this kind of cash at DD? Crazy

They are the main team screaming about money. Buffalo doesn't have a ton of money in the area, it's not rare to see a game blacked out, etcetera.

Why?

He's right.

Say what you will about Rod Gardner, but we have not had a #2 receiver close to his production since he left. Hell even as a #1, only Santana's 2005 record setting season and Coles' 03 campaign beats Rod Gardner's 2002 season as the primary receiver this decade so far.

I'm not sure why anyone would say letting Rod Gardner go was a loss. What did we lose? His production over the last two years has been 15 receptions for a total of 168 yards. Sorry, but 15 catches over a two year period isn't even as good as the lousy 23 catches Brandon Lloyd got last year.

We don't miss Rod.

To me I think the issue is more Dockery's replacement then us losing a stud, I don't think Dockery was anything special on the line. If the experiment with Wade isn't working we have to switch gears quick and find another solution. I think Dockery was helped a lot by having Samuels next to him and I think he will flounder with the Bills.

Edit: My point is that unlike lets say a Pierce I don't think Dockery is hard to replace. We are taking a chance though by instead of replacing him with an expereinced guard we are experimenting with a tackle there

Archived